Quick Recap & Final Jeopardy – April 1, 2016

Todd can certainly solidify his chances of making it into the Tournament of Champions by winning today!

Milton John, a physical therapist from Nanuet, NY
Oliver Bundy, an attorney from Anchorage, AK
Todd Giese, a hotel front desk manager from New Orleans, LA (3-day total: $74,402)

Scores going into Final Jeopardy:
Todd $19,000
Milton $4,000
Oliver $800

Final Jeopardy! category: ASIAN CITIES

Final Jeopardy! clue: Of Asia’s 10 most populous urban areas, this city on an island is the only one south of the equator

Click/Tap Here for Correct Response

What is Jakarta, Indonesia? (Milton said Mumbai, Todd said Sydney)

Oliver 800 + 799 = 1599
Milton 4000 – 2000 = 2000
Todd 19000 – 10999 = 8001 (4-day total: $82,403)

Population questions always make me uneasy, especially because of so many different ways of counting “urban areas” in different countries, but this seems like a good well-sourced list here of the most populous urban agglomerations in the world. Obviously, though, there are sources that disagree greatly on the population of the urban agglomeration surrounding Guangzhou (Canton) in China; some estimates place the population there at over 44 million; others, less than 20 million! (Not that there’s anything wrong with tonight’s Final Jeopardy – every source agrees that Greater Jakarta is over 30 million, even though the city proper is around just under 10 million people)

So, how many April Fool’s jokes did you spot in this game? Leave comments with ones you spotted and I’ll add to the list!

• They started with an old shot of Alex coming out without pants, but cut back really quickly
  • On the first Daily Double, numbers were mirrored on the contestants’ lecterns
  • Jeopardy was misspelled Jepardy in the lower left corner during the second segment
  • A cameo appearance by IBM’s Watson
  • They had some shots where Alex gave the correct response, but looked a decade younger when doing so, with a moustache
  • A Daily Double where the full screen was upside-down
  • Using Wheel of Fortune sound effects on a Daily Double
  • A cameo from Ken Jennings responding “What is turquoise?”
  • There was a shot at the start of Final Jeopardy from an international version (Estonia)
  • Milton’s wrong answer in Final Jeopardy was met with the Wheel of Fortune Bankrupt sound

(Meanwhile: Did you hear about the breaking news regarding Canadians?)

(contestant photo credit: jeopardy.com)

(When commenting, please note that first-time commenters may have their comments held in moderation by WordPress. Also, all comments should be either positive in nature or have to do with gameplay.)

68 Comments on "Quick Recap & Final Jeopardy – April 1, 2016"

1. bruce whiteside | April 1, 2016 at 5:37 pm |

After first spot break the white “Jeopardy” graphic (keyed) during the interview was mispelled as “Jepardy”.

2. Ford at the top of the screen the whole show

• Andy Saunders | April 1, 2016 at 6:57 pm |

I think that may have just been your local affiliate. I didn’t see that when watching myself.

3. bruce whiteside | April 1, 2016 at 5:41 pm |

On the wide shot of the final Jeopardy scores, these were two, not three, Alieve graphics on the lecturns.

4. The riding outfit Alex came out in. I just about died.

5. Tangia Benoit | April 1, 2016 at 7:03 pm |

I just saw it and thought that I was seeing things. I had to rewind a few times.

6. KM Hollifield | April 1, 2016 at 7:06 pm |

The scores were written backwards during first play at one point.

7. Oliver’s score ($3,000) was shown in mirror image. Watson read a clue.

8. I thought Alex was missing his pants for a moment.

9. The loser whistle on the first wrong answer.

10. The Wheel of Fortune Bankruptcy sound effect when Milton gave the wrong answer and lost money.

11. Some sort of weird graphic in place of Oliver at one point

12. The foreign show was from Estonia!

13. What were the stories told after the first break? All I caught was Alex saying “three of the weirdest stories ever on jeopardy” or something like that…

• Andy Saunders | April 1, 2016 at 7:52 pm |

Milton had a big argument with his wife regarding Ken Jennings being smarter.
      Oliver got asked about the 2008 financial crisis and why nobody went to jail.
      Todd crochets his Mardi Gras outfits.

14. Elsa Forrest | April 1, 2016 at 7:53 pm |

Between my husband and I we spotted all of the above mentioned. The one with Alex without pants I did not see and my husband called me and said “I must be having a stroke or going crazy… and explained what he saw” ha ha ha. Then we both watched closely and realized it was an April Fools joke on us!

15. Lynn Harris | April 1, 2016 at 7:55 pm |

I did not have my glasses on to watch tv, like I usually do, and the first spof I thought Alex did not have his trousers on! Oh my, I thought this show was the best April Fool Day joke on all of the viewing audience.

16. Judy Lang | April 1, 2016 at 7:57 pm |

At one point in the April 1 show there was a flash of Alex with his mustache from an older show. Also, the contestant that won one million dollars also appeared briefly. Then it went back to the current show. I also saw the middle contestant’s amount was upsidedown. Was this an April Fools thing? I thought I was hallucinating.

17. Host has no pants,old jeopardy stage,score upsidedown,host has mustache,old player,wheel of fortune sound on daily double,daily double upsidedown,final jeopardy,different names,word on screen on stage,wrong answer makes wheel of fortune bankrupt noise

18. Thanks! My 69 year old mother thought she was having a stroke and called her doctor 🙁

19. KonceitedNupe | April 1, 2016 at 8:01 pm |

Also, Todd lectern lit up when Oliver was speaking during the introductions

20. At one point in the first half, an unusual graphic appeared on the wall behind Alex. It was only onscreen very briefly.

21. Bob & Sue Evans | April 1, 2016 at 8:07 pm |

We saw the following: Alex came out without pants, scores were written backwards, Watson was a contestant for a second, Alex younger with gray hair (not white) and a mustache, “Daily Double” was backwards, Ken Jennings as contestant, whistle during final jeopardy.

22. Keith Gaines | April 1, 2016 at 8:09 pm |

Wierd things on tonight’s show! A dubbed video AND audio clip for one “answer”, a blooper sound effect after one wrong “answer” during Final J, and, of course, Alex coming on stage pant-less!

23. Michael Hass | April 1, 2016 at 8:11 pm |

Ken Jennings answered a question near the end of Double Jeopardy.

24. Watching in Tampa FL, saw former mega-champion Ken Jennings give the answer “turquoise”. Whaaaaaat?

25. Curtis dean brown | April 1, 2016 at 8:39 pm |

In the 2nd half when Todd was asked what stone is Robin’s Egg Blue? A totally different Todd is shown answering, also his amount is different (18,000).

26. Curtis dean brown | April 1, 2016 at 8:50 pm |

When asked, of asia’s 10 most populous urban areas, this city on an island is the only one south of the equator, suddenly the entire cast shown is from another country w the word “Kuldvillak” (Estonian) behind them.

27. Curtis dean brown | April 1, 2016 at 8:59 pm |

During the show Alex was wearing a pin stripes suit, at the end it appears it is not striped anymore.

28. Jonathan Graham | April 1, 2016 at 9:36 pm |

I loved all of the special effects, but why couldn’t they have also done the old beep sequence when the board was filling up with clue values?

29. There’s more Silicon and Aluminum in the sial than Oxygen, which is also an element? Because theres twice as much Oxygen than Silicon in the Earths crust.

30. It wasn’t April Fool but it should have been by the champion as Sydney isn’t in Asia!!!

31. Wheel of Fortune sound bites were used twice.

32. Hi I'm a person | April 1, 2016 at 10:09 pm |

I noticed that Milton had his name written as “Milton?”

33. I thought Milton John flexing his pecs during his introduction fit right into the April fools show, lol!

34. Meryl Burke | April 1, 2016 at 11:00 pm |

I thought I imagined Alex dressed like a hippie for a flash. I wasn’t sure if I had imagined it. But put together with the weird sound effects I realize it was all April’s Fool. May the show even more interesting.

35. They had my husband and me going for longer than I care to admit! Touché Jeopardy! LOL!

36. I thought I was seeing things as well!

37. Linda bruzdoski | April 1, 2016 at 11:19 pm |

My 82 year old mother called me asked if I watched jeopardy tonight I said I didn’t tonight,she said I think im going crazy because alot of crazy things were happening and no one was saying anything she said I think im cracking up wished you watched it I laughed,happy I saw this called her and said your not going crazy lol April fools

38. I only caught a few of the pranks, all of them mentioned above. I agree with Sandra about Todd’s response in Final Jeopardy. How could a smart fellow like him think that Sydney is in Asia?

• Andy Saunders | April 1, 2016 at 11:43 pm |

Well, under the lights, Marc, everyone’s prone to a brain fart — and if you can’t think of Jakarta, any city is better than a blank screen!

39. Alex’s tie was blue in most shots, but red in one shot

40. I saw Alex come out with no pants.the contestants scores were backwards, Milton? Was strange, Alex questioned contestants why no one had gone to jail,the daily double sound was wrong, daily double was upside down,the David Muir clues were already played when Alex announced they would be coming up, losing sound heard when contestant lost he lost money on the last wager, the background or show switched a couple of times. I thought I was going crazy.

41. Barbara and Jeff | April 2, 2016 at 1:30 am |

We both thought the show had been “hacked” and wondered if they knew. About three pranks in, we remembered it was AFD! While we usually have our appetizers and cocktail during Jeopardy, we didn’t tonight and fell for it all. Loved the pranks.

42. When Milton did his “pec flex” during the opening intro, I knew I’d be rooting against him…

• Andy Saunders | April 2, 2016 at 8:10 am |

That’s too bad that you choose to root against contestants who elect to show some sort of personality. I really enjoyed all three players tonight.

43. Oliver said he is with the U.S. Attorney’s office in Alaska, but investigated the 2008 financial crisis and actions by Wall Street. From Alaska???? Wild gyrations from Todd during his intro with crocheting story make me think that was a joke, but then again maybe not. (Remember: this is the same guy who went to Europe to attend a Madonna concert.) Milton’s long recollection of his argument with his wife, complete with a ridiculing tone while imitating her, indicates the intros were amped. Giveaway was when Milton made some reference to swearing on the graves of his dead parents. Great comedy because it seems to go too far, but then also seems like it could be possible — kind of.

• I don’t think the intros had anything to do with April Fools’ Day. Jeopardy contestants are somewhat unique in their personalities (if they have one, at all) and often tell boring stories that they think are interesting. Although i think Milton?’s takes the cake for Longest Jeopardy Story ever…

All of the AFD “pranks” were added in post-production, so the intros woudln’t have been part of the fun. There is also a small chance that the episode might not have aired on AFD, so it would have made no sense.

But it was a heck of a lot of fun to watch…

44. My husband and I saw most of the pranks but it wasn’t until breaKfast this morning remembered that it was Aprils’s Fools Day yesterday. Good one jeopardy!!!!

45. Rosemary Humphreys | April 2, 2016 at 10:04 am |

Very cute ideas, I saw most of them and had to rewind the start, couldn’t believe my eyes but my husband and daughter were watching too. We looked at each other and said did we just see Alex Trebek in his undershorts? So we rewound and sure enough we did. It was funny but we paid careful attention to the rest of the show, to see if there were anymore and sure enough there were. We initially thought there was something wrong at the station and then realized it was April Fools Day

46. Deb Wright | April 2, 2016 at 12:21 pm |

When Alex came out without pants and then a moment later was dressed normally, i was so perplexed I googled Jeopardy and found this site. The first thing I read said to count the number of April Fool’s items. So then I landed back on Earth and paid close attention to the rest of the game. Thanks for this great site. I’m 63 and only became a jeopardy fan the last couple of years. Record it every night!!

47. I thought there was only one segment of “moustache Alex” (“Mambo Kings”), not multiple like the article suggests.

48. I would like to ask Todd to join my crocheting group, the Yarnstars.

49. Walter Borden | April 2, 2016 at 5:40 pm |

We thought Alex might come out without pants during practice runs. One comment was that the person who edits Jeopardy was probably fired.

Even though April 1st is my brother’s birthday, it did not occur to me that the many errors were April Fools jokes.

50. Well to start my boyfriend an I watch the show every night but last night I didn’t so he waited till tonight to tell me about what happened on last nights show to be honest I thought he was loosing it then I found this sight on the best april fools joke was on me!!!! Sorry I missed it

51. Elizabeth Skola | April 3, 2016 at 12:17 am |

They inverted the lights in the background during final jeopardy while the contestants were writing their answers.

• Andy Saunders | April 3, 2016 at 9:55 am |

Not sure what you mean: Did you mean the clip from Estonia? Or the darkened set? (it’s always slightly darker during Final, isn’t it?)

52. Did anybody else catch the weird robot voice and image of Todd near the end of the 1st round? We must have rewound it 20 times and kept trying to figure out why and then we realized it’s April Fools

53. I thought I had taken too many sleeping pills before I sat down to watch the episode. Worried myself at first. But, then it dawned on me it was April Fool’s. Good one Jeopardy.

54. Crazy pranks of occular disturbance.