Today’s Final Jeopardy – Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Happy Wednesday! Here’s today’s Final Jeopardy (in the category Historic Americans) for Wednesday, January 12, 2022 (Season 38, Game 88):

In 1838 he took a new last name, of a family in Walter Scott’s “The Lady of the Lake”; for distinction he added a 2nd “S” to the end

Ally Bove, a physical therapist from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Ally Bove on Jeopardy!
Emma Shirato Almon, a government effectiveness associate manager from Sunnyside, New York
Emma Shirato Almon on Jeopardy!
Amy Schneider, an engineering manager from Oakland, California (30-day total: $1,057,800)
Amy Schneider on Jeopardy!

Andy’s Pregame Thoughts: Amy picked up her 30th victory last night, and as the run continues, there are a lot of people who are starting to get upset that Amy Schneider is being treated and portrayed normally, just like anyone else would be treated on the show. These are people whose worldview apparently can not handle a transgender person being portrayed as normal, and now have to push back against it, either outwardly, or by being more critical than they otherwise would be towards the show, its host, and the judges.

Here’s a fun fact: Amy is a normal person, as much of a normal person as you, me, your parents, or my parents and I still very much hope that this leads to a change in attitudes in both North America and worldwide.

PSA: The best way to keep COVID-19 at bay (and keep Jeopardy! producing new episodes) is for everybody to get their vaccinations as soon as they are able to, including any boosters as recommended. When wearing a mask, please ensure that your mask covers both your nose and your mouth.

Correct response: Who is Frederick Douglass?

Did you know that you can now find game-by-game stats of everyone, now including Matt Amodio, Jonathan Fisher, and Amy Schneider, who has won 10 or more games on Jeopardy!, here on the site?

More information about Final Jeopardy: (The following write-up is original content and is copyright 2022 The Jeopardy! Fan. It may not be copied without linked attribution back to this page.)

In Walter Scott’s 1810 adaptation of The Lady of the Lake, two main characters had the last name Douglas. Abolitionist leader Frederick Douglass had been known as Frederick Johnson shortly after obtaining his freedom, but realized that in New Bedford, Massachusetts, where he had been living, that Johnson was the most common last name. Thus, upon the advice of Nathan Johnson (a New Bedford businessmen known for aiding and sheltering escaped slaves), Douglas was suggested after the Walter Scott poem. Frederick then added the second S. Douglass became known throughout the United States as one of the best orators and writers of the abolitionist movement, constantly being a living counterexample to many of the bigoted claims made by slaveholders.

Amy $23,000
Ally $3,000
Emma $200

Emma $200 + $20 = $220 (Who is Douglas (the second S was half complete, the response was accepted as it made no difference to the pronunciation))
Ally $3,000 – $2,000 = $1,000 (Who is ??)
Amy $23,000 – $12,000 = $11,000 (Who is ) (31-day total: $1,068,800)

Amy Schneider, today's Jeopardy! winner (for the January 12, 2021 game.)

Amy $7,000
Ally $3,200
Emma -$200

1) 3 SHORT WORDS $800 (clue #9)
Ally 1600 -1000 (Amy 1200 Emma 400)
2) ONE LETTER DIFFERENT $1200 (clue #10)
Amy 12200 -4000 (Emma -200 Ally 4400)
3) SCIENCE $1200 (clue #12, $23600 left on board)
Ally 6000 -5000 (Amy 8200 Emma -200)
Overall Daily Double Efficiency for this game: -179

Number of clues left unrevealed this season: 13 (0.15 per episode average), 0 Daily Doubles

Amy $27,000 Coryat, 30 correct, 3 incorrect, 52.63% in first on buzzer (30/57), 2/2 on rebound attempts (on 2 rebound opportunities)
Ally $9,000 Coryat, 13 correct, 2 incorrect, 22.81% in first on buzzer (13/57), 0/0 on rebound attempts (on 4 rebound opportunities)
Emma $200 Coryat, 4 correct, 2 incorrect, 10.53% in first on buzzer (6/57), 0/0 on rebound attempts (on 2 rebound opportunities)
Coryat lost to incorrect responses (less double-correct responses): $7,000

Amy Schneider, career statistics:

Emma Shirato Almon, career statistics:
Average Coryat: $200

Ally Bove, career statistics:
0/2 on Daily Doubles (Net Earned: -$6,000)

Amy Schneider, to win:

Today’s interviews:
Ally had rain, slow, and hail on her wedding day.
Emma was on Sesame Street at the age of 4.
Amy has a cat that escaped onto the fire escape.

• I agree with the judges’ decision on Emma’s Final Jeopardy! response, as “Douglas” and “Douglass” are pronounced identically.
  • The fact that San Marino and Dan Marino are one letter different is one of my favourite wordplay facts, and I feel as though the Daily Double in that category was the centerpiece and/or inspiration for the category itself.
  • Between Newfoundland itself going for a Triple Stumper and trilobites (a fossil found often on the island) being missed as a Daily Double, today was not a good day for the Newfoundland content on the show.
  • The prediction model thinks that Amy is just as likely to lose tomorrow as she is to win 20 more games.

Link to the box score: January 12, 2022 Box Score

33 Comments on "Today’s Final Jeopardy – Wednesday, January 12, 2022"

1. Andy, I was happy to read your comment about Amy being a normal person, whatever normal is these days! She has proved herself to be a very intelligent, interesting, and caring person, especially with the insights into her early learning experiences. It’s a shame there aren’t more people around like her.

2. I had to read the Final twice to figure out what the writers were going for. This seems to be happening more and more. Maybe it’s me, but maybe it’s the writers.

• Yeah, and it is particularly tough as you only have 30 seconds to figure it out. A tough one and a stand and stare (it was for me) unless one knows about Frederick Douglass’ travels to Scotland or somehow “Douglass” clicks when thinking of famous people of the 1800s. You don’t readily associate him with Scotland.

• The FJ is effectively “A last name of an American which looks like a real name ending with an S, with an extra S”. I came up with “Douglass”, albeit somewhat tentatively, and could not recall in 30 seconds who that Douglass person was, or what was his first name, but it was enough that I’ve read of him in the past to answer correctly. That peculiar last name is very memorable.

3. Karma Wanamaker | January 12, 2022 at 12:33 pm |

What counts is what is inside a person. Amy is a great representation of a Jeopardy champion.

4. Thank you for reminding your readers that Amy should, and is, being treated as any other contestant. Also, I appreciate that the subject of her gender has NOT be discussed on the show and, though the daily interviews, we’re learning more and more about Amy, the person loves to read and learn.

5. aaronthecrystalclod | January 12, 2022 at 1:12 pm |

I really like your comment, Andy. It’s sad to see people just being so upsetting and so negative. Comments like this really make me wish there were more people like you on this planet spreading courage and love to others.

There was a Facebook group devoted to fans of Jeopardy that I was a part of… and it was filled with unnecessary hatred and anger from so many people. I ended up leaving it entirely because of what has happened, and I wasn’t surprised to hear that that group had a lack of moderation.

We should be celebrating Amy’s win, not arguing about this gender silliness.

6. As with the other long-streak champions, Amy’s breadth and depth of knowledge is quite impressive. Knowledgeable contestants are one of the reasons I keep watching the show. Alex would have been thrilled with these streaks that have come since he departed this world.

7. Andy, your prediction model for Amy for tomorrow might become true if she continues to lose out on FJ. She must be getting tired. Her challengers didn’t fare so well either today. Hopefully Amy will pick up her game and also start getting FJ correct as well.

• I think that the recent FJ’s are tougher or in areas she is not as strong in compared to earlier games where there were a number of easier FJ’s.

• Debbie Stover | January 12, 2022 at 6:26 pm |

For what it’s worth, Amy said in her Twitter commentary that in retrospect, the van Gogh clue was pretty obvious and she was kicking herself for missing it.

8. Amy must be getting tired already but still though just happy to see one person getting final despite them not doing so well with the daily doubles. Just hope amy can get a final jeopardy right tomorrow abd pick up another win to tie with James holzhauer

9. David John Craven | January 12, 2022 at 2:34 pm |

Its amazing that Amy has been able to “hold on” with her very cold streak on final Jeopardy answers. It shows what good buzzer technique, smart wagering and broad range of knowledge can do. But if she does not “get back on her game” for final jeopardy, she will end up losing if she runs into someone else with good buzzer technique. The ToC will be very interesting.

10. David John Craven | January 12, 2022 at 2:37 pm |

ToC Question… What do they do if, for example, the TOC is scheduled but the “current” champion is on a long term streak. Do you have to “lose” before you can appear in the ToC?

11. Michael Johnston | January 12, 2022 at 3:06 pm |

This one doesn’t look easy to me – I just happened to know Scott’s poem being about Lady Douglas, so the double “S” immediately made me think of Frederick.

12. I was wondering if it could be Lincoln’s 1860 opponent Stephen Douglas and hadn’t thought of Frederick Douglass.
    Guess I’d be considered correct with just the last name.
    I was surprised to read on Wikipedia just now that Stephen dropped an s from his last name a year after Frederick published his autobiography

• Billie Brewer | January 12, 2022 at 4:55 pm |

I would be like you, correct on a technicality. I couldn’t remember Douglass’ first name, but I was definitely thinking about Stephen and not Frederick.

13. I’m so proud to have known this Final Jeopardy!!! But it’s because my literal historical research is on African American naming practices, and I have read Frederick Douglass’s autobiography for the purpose of writing about his name. So take from that what you will.

14. John McCleary | January 12, 2022 at 4:52 pm |

I feel like in the past week Amy has struggled a bit in Final Jeopardy. It could be just because of topics that she’s comfortable in but it doesn’t phase her because she’s still the champion.

• Sorry, it should be “faze”. Would such mix-ups be allowed (based on sound) in an otherwise correct written FJ response?

15. The distinction between “forward part of the plane” appearing in the clue, and needing to reference it in the response, is an extremely fine one — indeed, I missed it myself when initially viewing last night (only realizing it after seeing your Tweet; thus, I agree that the judges’ overrule on DJ! clue 29 last night was correct).

I think it’s an easy one for any viewer to not pick up on — and that would be no less true had one of last night’s challengers rang in first and responded “tailspin.”

16. Somebody else | January 12, 2022 at 6:11 pm |

Thanks for defending Amy – I appreciate how they’ve presented her as just Amy. She’s a person and that’s all that matters. That being said, I can’t help but be bored by her streak at this point. Amy just dominates Double Jeopardy boards and I start to tune out, just like I did with Matt toward the end of his run. Either way, I’m eagerly awaiting the final of the next ToC. Those two will have a match for the ages. Possibly against Jonathan Fisher.

I got today’s FJ in like 10 seconds. Started thinking of people from that time and Douglass has that odd second S so he made sense.

I also believe my previous message from Monday is in the moderation queue. I am confused as to why. Perhaps because my name is also Andy (which is why I included my last initial). Thus, I’m going anonymous as a test.

17. Debbie Stover | January 12, 2022 at 6:34 pm |

I root for Amy to win 20 more games. And I salute you, Andy, for continuing to show clear, cogent support for Amy. She’s said in her Twitter feed that she’s heard from many, many people that her time on Jeopardy has persuaded their elderly parents, for example, to accept trans people when before those parents were dug in in opposition. So despite all the vitriol she’s been forced to handle, she’s making a real difference in people’s hearts and lives. You couldn’t really ask for much more than that.

18. Alan Lambert | January 12, 2022 at 6:49 pm |

Frankly, this feels like Champion Burnout. Late in the week shows are (generally) taped late in the day, Wednesday shows often just after lunch break. Maybe Amy’s in a bit of a food coma?

And the less oxygen we give bigoted morons, the better off we ALL will be. Candidly, 40 years ago that might have been me (I’m 56). But I learned. And I feel like I’m a better human for it.

19. Diane Harrison | January 12, 2022 at 7:00 pm |

I can’t thank you enough for your wonderful page. And your comment about Amy being a normal person brought me to tears.

20. There have been several instances in Amy’s run, of challengers having an opportunity to earn at least 50% of her points and then missing a daily double. Today was particularly frustrating. Amy is exceptional, but I always root for a close game. Today was a rare opportunity. Ally was Trilobite and Douglass away from winning. Both were gettable.
    It is one of the things what makes runs like Amy’s, Matt’s and Ken’s so amazing.

21. Patty Mayonnaise | January 12, 2022 at 8:37 pm |

Thank you for your pre-game thoughts! So true and well-spoken!

22. People have been comparing champions as Amy gets into more and more rarefied air. I don’t think you can really tell, until people go head to head, how they match up. That kind of speculation is valuless. The only thing I would say is that if Amy took up James and Matt’s aggressive points strategy she would be over 1.5 million. Her relatively conservative bets have saved Jeopardy a fair amount of money.

23. Frank Borland | January 12, 2022 at 10:08 pm |

Andy and all, I decided to go through every game that Amy was the defending champ to see how she did vs the other two contestants when it came to finding and responding to the Daily Doubles. These are the numbers I found through Jan 12th. I did not figure out how much money any of them won or lost, just the times they found and responded to them:
    Amy is 44 right and 8 wrong out of 52 (45-8 out of 53 if you include her first game) (Verified above)
    Opponents are 18-20 out of 38
    Only two games did she not find at least one DD
    Only seven games did she find all three DD
    Out of those seven, only two games did she get all three correct

Andy, if you prefer to not have these stats here, I will understand. You work hard on your stats and I don’t want to step on your toes. I did double-check my work.