I have found over the past few months that it is surprisingly easy for contestants and others to find The Jeopardy! Fan. I know that many contestants (or members of their family) read what is posted here. I thus feel that the site has a responsibility to keep the general tenor of conversation in this space positive. Please keep this in mind when commenting.
With that in mind, any comment on The Jeopardy! Fan must fall within the following rules:
- Any comment which is judged to be personally negative towards a contestant will not be approved, or will be deleted. You can talk negatively about gameplay, but do not get personal about the contestant. Think of it like arguing with a baseball umpire. You can talk about the call, but don’t get personal.
- If you have issues with question material, please try to provide opinions based upon verifiable facts. Frame your comment as “I feel that (response given) should not have been accepted by the judges because (fact)”, not “The judges screwed up on the (response given)”. I personally enjoy engaging with commenters who frame their comments this way, and the debates can get lively!
- Don’t be creepy. You may think you’re complimenting a contestant with your remarks, but to them, it might come across differently. If it’s something that a reasonable person might compare to attempting to chat someone up, it’s not going to be allowed.
- Often, comments will be placed in moderation. It may take a few hours for it to be approved, if I am predisposed.
- If making comparisons between contestants, please do not use undefined criteria that might confuse other posters. (i.e. references to one’s own “Fantasy Tournament of Champions” is very likely to confuse others). Any term in J! Archive’s glossary is fair game.
- Any article more than 90 days old will not have comments allowed on it. (This rule is more to keep the spambots away as much as possible).
- If you have been removed from other areas of the show’s fan community for your actions, your presence will not be welcome here.
- Please be advised that The Jeopardy! Fan is a fan site and has zero affiliation with Jeopardy! Productions, Inc. Any comment which implies an affiliation will be reminded of such non-affiliation as a Site Comment Policy warning. Multiple comments to this end may be considered in violation of the Site Comment Policy.
- Any comment which might be seen to incite replies that incite episode piracy will be considered in violation.
- Any comment which has been posted identically to that on another website will be in violation, as those sorts of comments are likely to be considered by a search engine to be spam and may harm this site’s long-term viability.
Thank you for your help in upholding these principles.