Quick Recap & Today’s Final Jeopardy – July 27, 2016

Barbra Resnick, a social worker from Altamonte Springs, FL
wk46_0725_0729_resnick_lineup
Zlatan Hodzic, a research lab manager from San Jose, CA
wk46_0725_0729_hodzic_lineup
Pranjal Vachaspati, a PhD student from Shaker Heights, OH (6-day total: $137,088)
wk45_0718_0722_vachaspati_lineup

Final Jeopardy! category: 20TH CENTURY ENGLISH NOBILITY

Final Jeopardy! clue: In Africa on Nov. 26, 1922, he anxiously asked Howard Carter, “Can you see anything?”

Click/Tap Here for Correct Response

Who is Lord Carnarvon?

[collapse]

Remember to vote in our Poll of the Week!

This poll is closed! Poll activity:
Start date 07-22-2016 08:00:00
End date 07-29-2016 07:59:00
Poll Results:
Rate Season 32 on a scale of 0 (terrible) to 5 (awesome).

Lord Carnarvon hired archaeologist Howard Carter to supervise the excavations in the Valley of the Kings. Work began in 1914, was interrupted by World War I, and by 1922 Carnavon had begun to grow restless. Had nothing been found by Carter that digging season, the project would have concluded.

However, on November 4, the excavation group found steps that were hoped to lead to the tomb of King Tutankhamun. On November 26, with Carnarvon and his family present, Carter opened the tomb. The famous Carnarvon question of “Can you see anything?” was met with the equally famous reply of “Yes, wonderful things!”

The tomb, subsequently designated KV62, is now world-renowned for its the valuables it contained. Due to Carter’s recording techniques, the tomb amazingly took eight years to catalog and empty.

(contestant photo credit: jeopardy.com)

(When commenting, please note that all comments on The Jeopardy! Fan must be in compliance with the Site Comment Policy.)

11 Comments on "Quick Recap & Today’s Final Jeopardy – July 27, 2016"

1. Andy Saunders | July 27, 2016 at 2:16 pm |

Scores going into Final Jeopardy:
    Pranjal $13,200
    Barbra $10,800
    Zlatan $4,800

Final results:
    Zlatan $4,800 – $4,799 = $1 (Who is George VI?)
    Barbra $10,800 – $2,401 = $8,399 (Who is Livingstone?) (1-day total: $8,399)
    Pranjal $13,200 – $8,401 = $4,799 (Who is George V?)

1) 5-LETTER MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS $600 (7th pick)
    Pranjal 2200 +2200 (Zlatan 800 Barbra 800)

2) LITERARY SISTERS $1600 (11th pick)
    Barbra 11200 -4000 (Pranjal 8200 Zlatan 4000)
    3) MONEY MATTERS $1600 (14th pick)
    Pranjal 9800 +4600 (Barbra 9200 Zlatan 4000)

None!

Barbra 14,800 Coryat, 17 correct, 2 incorrect, 26.32% in first on buzzer
    Pranjal 8,600 Coryat, 18 correct, 6 incorrect, 35.09% in first on buzzer
    Zlatan 4,800 Coryat, 14 correct, 4 incorrect, 28.07% in first on buzzer

Pranjal Vachaspati’s final stats:
    165 correct
    37 incorrect
    12/14 on Daily Doubles (Net Earned: 34,810)

Barbra Resnick’s stats:
    17 correct
    3 incorrect
    0/1 on Daily Doubles (Net Earned: -4,000)

Barbra Resnick, to win:
    Avg. streak: 2.146 games. #Jeopardy

2. Wow…I like how you give a full summary of the history on a FJ! clue that I would never have known. When I was taking history growing up, it was mostly pertaining to some major parts about U.S. and around the world. It’s funny how you mentioned WWI because at the time, the history teachers I had didn’t cover behind of WWI in Africa.

• Andy Saunders | July 27, 2016 at 5:55 pm |

Thanks! I’m glad you enjoy it. I try to give extra background information that may help your get rate on clues down the road!

3. It’s all about the categories! I absolutely rocked the baseball, had some issues with others… lol

If I ever have dinner with Mr. Trebek, I’m definitely asking if he had any input into the “White Men Can’t Jump” scenes.

4. What a stupid question. “Nobility” indicated that the answer wasn’t a monarch, but really??? If you’re going to ask a question about Africa and Anglo Saxon nobility, ask about King Leopold II of Belgium, who made a fortune from making the Congo his own personal “The Heart of Darkness.”

• Andy Saunders | July 27, 2016 at 9:13 pm |

I disagree. Lord Carnarvon was just as important to the discovery as Howard Carter was.

• Also, I’d just like to point out that Algo-Saxons aren’t Belgians. Anglo-Saxon exclusively means British.

• Also, the greatest genocide in history that is never taught nor mentioned except in a few college courses.

5. Matt Carberry | July 27, 2016 at 9:56 pm |

On the category reveal, I really wasn’t sure where it could go; I was hoping for something along the lines of “she was created Baroness of Kesteven in 1992,” or as Mark Barrett posted in the JBoard thread, “assassinated in Ireland in 1979, he was the last Viceroy of India.”

I ended up writing down “Livingstone” even though I was nearly sure it was wrong. I considered T. E. Lawrence, but Africa eliminated him. Late in the think music, I did connect 1922 + Africa to King Tut, but I never would have come up with the financier of the mission.