Today’s Final Jeopardy – May 5, 2017

Here’s today’s Final Jeopardy (in the category Monarchs) for Friday, May 5, 2017:

In 2016 Elizabeth II became the world’s longest-reigning living monarch when this country’s king died after a 70-year reign

Seth Madej, a writer from Los Angeles, California
Rich Steeves, a manager of commercial support content from Norwalk, Connecticut
Ragavan Ramsubramani, a financial analyst from New York, New York (2-day total: $41,602)

If you haven’t seen it yet, you should check out our state-by-state map of where Season 33’s players have hailed from (best viewed on desktop or tablet).

Have you had the chance to check out our 2017 Tournament of Champions Tracker? It now contains a graphic of the day-by-day changes in the qualification chances of the players on the bubble!

Click/Tap Here for Final Jeopardy! Correct Response/Question

What is Thailand?

[collapse]

Looking to find out who won Jeopardy! tonight? Did you miss the Galapagos Great Escape Sweepstakes secret word? Today’s Jeopardy! results and secret word will go up on this page late afternoon, with full stats early to late evening. They will be seen in the comments section at the bottom of this page.

On October 16, 2016, King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand died at the age of 88 (he had served as Rama IX). He was succeeded by Vajiralongkorn.

He was the namesake King behind the famed Thai “King’s Cup” Scrabble tournament. Tens of thousands of players play Scrabble in Thailand, and the International Division at the King’s Cup draws players from all over the world. (At my last audition, I said that my money, if I won, would go towards my trip to play in the King’s Cup.)

Remember, you can also now get the following products (and others!) from our new store! Here are our top sellers; all prices are in US dollars!

(contestant photo credit: jeopardy.com)

(When commenting, please note that all comments on The Jeopardy! Fan must be in compliance with the Site Comment Policy.)

Become a Supporter now! Make a donation to the site on Patreon!

16 Comments on "Today’s Final Jeopardy – May 5, 2017"

1. Galapagos Great Escape secret word: EXPLORE

Seth $13,000
    Rich $12,000
    Ragavan $10,000

Final results:
    Ragavan $10,000 + $3,001 = $13,001 (3-day total: $54,603)
    Rich $12,000 – $12,000 = $0 (What is Denmark?)
    Seth $13,000 – $11,001 = $1,999 (What is Jordan?)

Rich $5,200
    Seth $4,800
    Ragavan $2,400

1) CREATURES IN MOVIE TITLES $600 (4th pick)
    Ragavan 1000 -1000 (Seth 400 Rich 200)

2) MODEL $1200 (22nd pick)
    Seth 10000 +2000 (Rich 12400 Ragavan 10000)
    3) STREAM $800 (28th pick, $800 left on board)
    Seth 16000 -3000 (Rich 11600 Ragavan 9600)

J! round: SECRETARIES OF STATE $800
    DJ! round: None!
    $ Left on Board: $800

Ragavan $11,000 Coryat, 16 correct, 2 incorrect, 28.57% in first on buzzer
    Seth $15,200 Coryat, 18 correct, 1 incorrect, 28.57% in first on buzzer
    Rich $12,000 Coryat, 14 correct, 2 incorrect, 28.57% in first on buzzer
    Coryat lost to incorrect responses (less double-correct responses): $4,600

Ragavan Ramsubramani, stats to date:
    59 correct
    9 incorrect

Ragavan Ramsubramani, to win:
    Avg. streak: 3.787 games. #Jeopardy.

ToC projection update:
    With a projected 70 regular-play games to go prior to the Tournament of Champions cutoff, after 250,000 simulations, our model shows:
    An average of 2.68 5+-time champions (standard deviation 1.269).
    An average of 4.2716 4+-time champions (standard deviation 1.5428).

An early cutoff took place 25.031% of the time (or a 5-game winner will be left out).

Ragavan Ramsubramani qualified 21.484% of the time.
    Tim Kutz qualified 30.001% of the time.
    Todd Giese qualified 6.359% of the time.
    Rob Liguori qualified 0.883% of the time.

(Note: Due to the contingency plans made by the show in case of the since-averted WGA strike, I feel it most accurate to place the cutoff date four weeks into Season 34.)

2. Frank Smith | May 5, 2017 at 12:02 pm |

You put “Todady’s” Final Jeopardy. That’s a typo.

3. john blahuta | May 5, 2017 at 1:25 pm |

Prediction:

Ragavan winning # 3. I’ll kick myself for this, but :3/3 or everybody left for FJ will get it. The easy Friday FJ……

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND EVERYBODY !!!!

• Mark Barrett | May 5, 2017 at 3:29 pm |

Don’t bruise your shin.

• john blahuta | May 5, 2017 at 4:28 pm |

Ah, I am used to be half right……
        That Ragavan won just proves my point I made 2 days ago. Jordan? Hussein died 1999. Denmark? Margarethe II rules since 1972 when her father Frederick IK died. As I said – and I say it again – anything outside the U.S. is a weak point for most Americans. Should have known better than to go 3/3.
        What shall’s it’s sunny, 87 degrees and the beach is waiting.
        Again , have a great weekend everybody and feliz cinco de Mayo!!

J.

4. john blahuta | May 5, 2017 at 4:44 pm |

Lastly, smart bet by Ragavan!

5. alene gauthier | May 5, 2017 at 8:27 pm |

What is the word of the day for the Galapagos contest … I missed it!!!! (for May 5, 2017)

6. alene gauthier | May 5, 2017 at 8:29 pm |

Oh sorry ! Thank you! Guess I can’t read 🙂

7. Dal Higbee | May 5, 2017 at 10:20 pm |

I was disappointed that Ragavan won today because he was falling behind in third place before Final.

8. Andy, you’re a tournament level Scrabble player?

9. Agree with John – excellent bet from Ragavan. I was tempted to recommend $6,000 exactly at ~7:24 EDT, but ultimately I didn’t think that a risk worth taking.

Watching live for the first time since April 25 – I’ve been sparse on Twitter lately, being on night shift while we refuel one of our reactors – I thought this FJ! might be YEKIOYD*… and fortunately for me, I knew it. Personally, it was a nice callback.

Today, I booked flights and hotels for TMDIC – that is, Ten More Days In Canada. Seeing this clue reminded me that “What is Thailand?” was the correct Final Jeopardy! response in the very first game of the season… a game I watched in a less-than-spectacular room in Port Hawkesbury, Nova Scotia, on NTV – a half hour ahead of the US East Coast, entirely due to information from Andy.

Though I had no trouble getting to the correct response, I slightly kicked myself upon reading this, feeling that the full form of my question should have been: “What is Thailand… and this will be a stone cold lead pipe lock for my right honourable friend from Guelph.”

* you either know it or you don’t. (That is to say, no way to tease it out from the the verbiage of the clue.)

10. LOL I love how Ragavan’s percentage win keeps going lower and lower, even though he sneaks under the radar for the 3rd win. His chance to win the 2nd was close to 68 percent, win for 3rd was near 50, and now for 4th by a beasly 44.

FJ!…damn. I was thinking of France, but that would be a crap shoot because France probably didn’t have a monarch that reigned for more than 70 years, and didn’t want to go with Russia because that would be even more lewd without as much royalty history.

Rob Liguori better cross his fingers and hope Ragavan doesn’t win game 4 and win more than $18,000 otherwise he’s pretty much done. Fred Vaughn, Justin Bender, and Kirstin Cutts already got the axe because of Alan Lin and Lisa Schlitt for taking more wins and sealing the deal for the ToC berth.