Today’s Final Jeopardy – March 14, 2018

Here’s today’s Final Jeopardy (in the category The Electoral College) for Wednesday, March 14, 2018 (Season 34, Episode 133):

Each state has as many electors as its total of senators & reps.; D.C. has this many, the minimum for any state

Peter Karamitsos, a software salesman from Elmhurst, Illinois
Peter Karamitsos on Jeopardy!
Allison Berke, a cybersecurity research director from Half Moon Bay, California
Allison Berke on Jeopardy!
Zach Dark, an investment analyst from Hoover, Alabama (2-day total: $48,201)
Zach Dark on Jeopardy!

The online test for the next Teen Tournament is coming on Thursday!

Correct response: What is 3?

Did you know that you can now find game-by-game stats of everyone, including Austin Rogers, who has won 10 or more games on Jeopardy!, here on the site?

This was set out by the 23rd Amendment; the District of Columbia receives the same number of electors as the least populous state (that being Wyoming at present, as Wyoming has 1 Representative and 2 Senators). Even if D.C. was a state, however, its current population would still only entitle it to 3 electors.

There’s always something new coming into The Jeopardy! Fan Online Store, including something perfect for Philadelphia football fans! Here are our top-selling items!

Peter $17,200
Zach $12,600
Allison $8,200

Allison $8,200 – $8,100 = $100 (What is 2 4?)
Zach $12,600 + $4,601 = $17,201
Peter $17,200 + $10,200 = $27,400 (1-day total: $27,400)

Peter Karamitsos, today's Jeopardy! winner (for the March 14, 2018 episode.)

Zach $6,600
Allison $5,400
Peter $1,000

1) HISTORICAL NICKNAMES $800 (19th pick)
Peter 1400 -1200 (Allison 5000 Zach 1400)
2) SOUTH AMERICAN CAPITALS 2017 $800 (2nd pick)
Peter 1400 +2000 (Zach 6600 Allison 5400)
3) 20th CENTURY REFERENCES $1200 (13th pick)
Peter 7800 +3000 (Zach 10200 Allison 5400)

J! round: None!
DJ! Round: EARTH SCIENCE $2000
Total $ Left On Board: $2,000

Peter $15,400 Coryat, 18 correct, 3 incorrect, 30.36% in first on buzzer
Zach $12,600 Coryat, 21 correct, 2 incorrect, 39.29% in first on buzzer
Allison $8,200 Coryat, 12 correct, 0 incorrect, 19.64% in first on buzzer
Coryat lost to incorrect responses (less double-correct responses): $6,400

Zach Dark, final stats:

Peter Karamitsos, stats to date:

Peter Karamitsos, to win:

If you are going to quote any statistics from this page or this website, attribution is required.

Have you had a chance to listen to our new podcast game show, Complete The List, yet? Check it out! It’s also available on Apple Podcasts.

21 Comments on "Today’s Final Jeopardy – March 14, 2018"

1. Scott William | March 14, 2018 at 10:19 am |

I’d be surprised if any of the contestants got this one wrong. Unless they panic and outthink themselves, seems like a relatively easy question.

2. Maurine Gutowski | March 14, 2018 at 11:46 am |

Wow! Peter sure came back in the second half! I look forward to seeing how he does it tonight. I thought the correct FJ answer was a no-brainer.

3. Maurine Gutowski | March 14, 2018 at 11:56 am |

My CBS station starts March Madness basketball playoffs Thursday and Friday, midday and evening, no regular programming. Will Jeopardy take a two-day break (as I expect the soaps to do), or should I look for it to be aired in the wee hours of the morning?

4. I hope I get to see some of Jeopardy! as Chicago stations have live coverage of a person with a gun reported at Northwestern University.

• Scott William | March 14, 2018 at 7:43 pm |

Since that ended up being a swatting hoax, how about a little patience first before postjng about a gun scare? Or at least post a follow up letting us know there was no actual violence? I just get tired of constant so-called “breaking news”, where the impetus to report far outpaces the importance of figuring out what’s actually going on before the alarm is sounded far and wide.

5. Carol White | March 14, 2018 at 7:33 pm |

The answer to today’s final question can’t be 3. There are 100 Senators 2 from each state, DC has a delegate not a representative. I am totally confused.

6. It was ironic to see “Who is Stephen Hawking” be a correct response today, the day after he died.

I heard he was born on the 300th anniversary of Galileo’s death, and he died on Einstein’s birthday

• Yes, he died on the same day the show aired, Pi Day, 3.14.

• Hmmmm—When I first saw reports of his death, it was still March 13. I guess he must have passed early on March 14, when it was still the 13th here in the States.

7. I was glad to see that during a category where all the responses were already in question form, Alex explained that it wasn’t necessary to add additional question form. (That is, “Who’s Afraid of Virginia Wolff?” would be accepted, it’s not necessary to say, “What is, ‘Who’s Afraid of Virginia Wolff?”). I had always wondered what the rule was in that situation, now I know. 🙂

8. Maurine Gutowski | March 14, 2018 at 8:51 pm |

I don’t know what other CBS affiliates are doing about WoF and Jeopardy, but I tracked future programming on my station, WWMT in Kalamazoo, MI, and found the missing shows will be aired Saturday morning from 3 to 5 a.m. You will probably show the results on Thursday and Friday if your source gets them. I have to get up by 9 on Saturday, so…? Alas, tonight I dozed off while DJ was showing Peter’s remarkable comeback. Husband (who made me reduce the volume because he had moved over next to the speaker) did see it but just muttered something about winning by $1 (not true). I wish my old VCR still worked.

• Here in the Twin Cities, WoF is typically at 6:30 on CBS. Thursday’s episode will be at 1:37am Friday morning, and Friday’s will be at 2:07am Saturday morning.

Jeopardy is on NBC at 4:30pm, and therefore is unaffected. But if I were in your situation—well, I’d be glad I have TiVo.

• We’re lucky here in Kansas City. There are two stations that show J!, one of which is an independent station with no other obligations. It’s guaranteed to show it no matter what, even on Christmas.

9. On a blind-date scavenger hunt, so need to know this: What was the final clue/answer in the first round tonight? (3/14/2018). Thanks!!

• HOLD MY WINE $1000: This white wine grape appropriately named for a Roman god is found in many German wines

(Correct response: What is Bacchus?)

• Scott William | March 15, 2018 at 6:01 am |

They seem to ask about Bacchus constantly. I remember NYT’s Will Shorts saying that he tries to avoid having too much “Crosswordese“ in the crosswords he chooses for the newspaper. By that he means puzzles with a lot of commonly used words.

Sometimes it seems like there’s a certain subset of knowledge on our favorite show that can be considered a sort of “Jeopardese”. Someone who achieves mastery of that dataset of knowledge is likely well on their way to being a contestant.

• Scott William | March 15, 2018 at 6:02 am |

I know his name is spelled Shortz. The autocorrect strikes again.

• One of my favorite “Jeopardese” examples is Robert Burns. If the clue calls for a Scottish poet, it has to be “Rrrrobby Burrrns!!” as Alex loves to say.

10. Maurine Gutowski | March 15, 2018 at 12:32 pm |

These comments were delightfully lively!