Today’s Final Jeopardy – May 4, 2018

Here’s today’s Final Jeopardy (in the category Literary Helpers) for Friday, May 4, 2018 (Season 34, Episode 170):

Passepartout, whose name means “go everywhere”, is the fittingly named aide in an 1873 tale by this author

Julie Sesnovich, a film data coordinator from Los Angeles, California
Julie Sesnovich on Jeopardy!
Jessica Fox, a biologist from Cleveland Heights, Ohio
Jessica Fox on Jeopardy!
Josh Hill, a network engineer from North Little Rock, Arkansas (2-day total: $50,485)
Josh Hill on Jeopardy!

Whoever wins today will have to wait two weeks to defend their title, the Teachers Tournament begins next week!

Correct response: Who is Jules Verne?

Did you know that you can now find game-by-game stats of everyone, including Austin Rogers, who has won 10 or more games on Jeopardy!, here on the site?

Jean Passepartout is the valet for Phileas Fogg in Jules Verne’s 1873 novel Around the World in Eighty Days. Fogg and Passepartout attempt to circumnavigate the globe in 80 days as the result of a £20,000 bet set by Fogg’s friends at London’s Reform Club.

There’s always something new coming into The Jeopardy! Fan Online Store, including something perfect for Philadelphia football fans and Villanova basketball fans! Here are our top-selling items!

Josh $25,800
Julie $16,200
Jessica $6,000

Jessica $6,000 + $1,000 = $7,000
Julie $16,200 + $4,000 = $20,200
Josh $25,800 + $6,601 = $32,401 (3-day total: $82,886)

Josh Hill, today's Jeopardy! winner (for the May 4, 2018 episode.)

Josh $7,800
Julie $4,400
Jessica $2,800

1) A MATTER OF BIBLICAL LIFE & DEATH $1000 (30th pick)
Josh 4800 +3000 (Julie 4400 Jessica 2800)
2) MOVIE REMAKES $1200 (8th pick)
Julie 6000 +3000 (Josh 8600 Julie 3200)
3) CIAO, CASSINI! $2000 (25th pick)
Josh 15800 +6000 (Julie 14200 Jessica 6000)

J! round: None!
Total $ Left On Board: $0

Josh $19,800 Coryat, 22 correct, 5 incorrect, 40.35% in first on buzzer
Julie $14,400 Coryat, 19 correct, 1 incorrect, 33.33% in first on buzzer
Jessica $6,000 Coryat, 10 correct, 2 incorrect, 17.54% in first on buzzer
Coryat lost to incorrect responses (less double-correct responses): $5,400

Josh Hill, stats to date:

Josh Hill, to win:

If you are going to quote any statistics from this page or this website, attribution is required.

Have you had a chance to listen to our new podcast game show, Complete The List, yet? Check it out! It’s also available on Apple Podcasts.

18 Comments on "Today’s Final Jeopardy – May 4, 2018"

1. Scott William | May 4, 2018 at 10:44 am |

I got FJ correct again. “Around the World in Eighty Days” has several video versions, but my favorite is an obscure TV movie version with Pierce Brosnan playing Phileas Fogg. Brosnan brings some much-needed charisma and wit to the role, which is a bit lacking in certain other versions.

I really hope the contestants don’t go 0/3 for the 4th day in a row. It’s been surreal that I’ve now bested them all, 3 days in a row, on FJ. That said, they made it onto the show, I didn’t (so far). And I can’t say I enjoy seeing them struggle like this.

2. john blahuta | May 4, 2018 at 11:38 am |

Strange that Julie guarded against Jessica but did not try to catch Josh, Was she convinced he would get it wrong? Well, the three J’s did it. Finally the drought is over. And if Josh wins one more game we have player # 8 for the next ToC. Right now it’s six I believe and the winner of the teacher’s tournament will qualify as well.
    Congratulations Josh, over 27.600 average per day: not too shabby.
    Have a nice weekend everybody, I’m glad we could end the week on a positive note.

• She would have caught Josh had Josh been wrong; Julie’s bet was just fine.

• john blahuta | May 4, 2018 at 2:33 pm |

As I was saying:” Was she convinced he would get it wrong?”
        Only then would Julie’s bet have been fine. And even if Josh had been wrong but stayed put (you never know how much somebody is wagering) she would have lost. Poor strategy, but’s that just my opinion.Clearly she was speculating that Josh would be
        1. wrong
        2. wager enough to put her in the lead.

• The leader failing to make the standard cover wager happens so infrequently out of a crush position that it often makes sense to protect second place.

• john blahuta | May 4, 2018 at 9:54 pm |

Well, there are many strategies for FJ wagering and it also depends how comfy a player is with the category and how familiar the player thinks the OTHER players are. And stranger things have happened. 3 relatively easy clues and 3 total wipe outs (Vuitton, Burr,Casablanca), and then you get a category that is SO outlandish and bingo! By whatever accident or reason the clue is solved by 2 or all 3. Hindsight is always 20/20 of course.I would just go for it and that was obviously also what Josh thought might happen, since he guarded against
            Julie in case she doubled up.Many strategies, sometimes just a gut feeling, difficulty of category (though often categories are kind of named in a tricky way). It says e.g. “Food” and then they want to know what a certain food is called in country XYZ. so the category should be “Languages”….J loves to do that. To each his/her own I guess.

• I hope you’re not affected by Kilauea.

• john blahuta | May 4, 2018 at 2:38 pm |

No, I live on another island (Maui). The only problem we can have from time to time is VOG (combo of Volcanic and fOG), that is when the wind comes from the south and then we have the volcanic clouds and gases in the air. A few years ago it was so bad that people had to turn on the lights on their cars.It was worse than fog in London and people with asthma or COPD suffer of course. But thanks for asking!!

3. Frank Smith | May 4, 2018 at 12:09 pm |

I got it right almost right away, and for bonus points, (which the show doesn’t allow), I also named the book.

• john blahuta | May 4, 2018 at 4:20 pm |

It was also a movie from 1956 with David Niven as Fogg and Catinflas as passepartout plus a ton of top actors had cameos.
      The film was nominated for 8 Oscars and won 5.

4. I feel sorry for Julie. She played well and could have been a winner on most other nights.

I also feel sorry for Josh and for the rest of us – after a run of one-and-done champions, there’s finally someone who has looked very impressive the past three nights, and now we have to take a two-week break for the Teacher’s Tournament. Nothing against the teachers, but it is unfortunate timing.

• john blahuta | May 4, 2018 at 10:03 pm |

I would presume the 10 games for the TT are taped in 2 or 3 days. They are just aired over a span of 2 weeks. They tape more than one episode per day. Josh will in all likelihood stay in L.A., do some sightseeing or so. I don’t think he will go back to AR and then again to L.A. He’ll probably have a 3 day break, unless the last episodes for the TT were taped on a Friday, then he would have 5 days. But I expect that J is accommodating players as much as possible, especially when they are a long way from home.

• I understand taping schedules. I’ve seen J! at both Culver City and Radio City (the latter 15 years ago) as well as other game shows in NY, CT, and CA. The next week of regular shows could be taped a day or two (or a few weeks, depending on when the tournament was taped) after this week of shows.

I was just referring to the AIRING of episodes. Here you have a (so-far) great champ earning lots of money. And then you don’t see him for two weeks because of the tournament. Some viewers will tend to forget about him. It’ll be like he’s just starting out. Of course if he comes back after the tournament and doesn’t keep winning, then as Alex would say “No harm, no foul”. 🙂

• Art and John:

Josh did, in fact, have to wait just under two weeks to defend his title. This week’s episodes were taped January 24, his return was taped February 6.

5. On today’s game (May 4), one question (in the category about body parts) was “rack my _____.” Answer was, of course, “What is my brain?” But for whoever wrote this clue, it’s not RACK, it should be WRACK.

6. Vader47000 | May 4, 2018 at 11:23 pm |

So, even if you don’t recognize the character name and can’t name the book, there are still a few ways to navigate the clue to a correct response.

Since the character seems like a French name, the clue is basically asking you to name a 19th Century French author whose characters traveled to far away places. Who else would it be but Jules Verne?

7. OK, Andy, I have researched rack and wrack, and you have a point…I suppose it could be looked at both ways. Racking being torturing, which would work here, and wrack being destroy, which could also work in the phrase. I’ve only seen it as wrack, but I will bow to you. This time!