Today’s Final Jeopardy – Thursday, April 30, 2020

Here’s today’s Final Jeopardy (in the category Advertising) for Thursday, April 30, 2020 (Season 36, Episode 169):

Copywriter Keith Goldberg wrote this question in 1999 for a financial services company; they’re still using it

Jesse Laymon, a public policy director from Long Island City, New York
Jesse Laymon on Jeopardy!
Kevin Curran, an attorney from Chicago, Illinois
Kevin Curran on Jeopardy!
Sarah Jett Rayburn, a writer & stay-at-home mom from Hutto, Texas (4-day total: $89,300)
Sarah Jett Rayburn on Jeopardy!

Looking for the J!6 clues for April 2020? You can find them here!

You can take the Jeopardy! contestant test anytime through April 30! Looking to practice beforehand? You can find questions and answers to all 3 of the January 2020 online tests here!

Correct response: What is “What’s in your wallet?”

Did you know that you can now find game-by-game stats of everyone, now including Jason Zuffranieri and James Holzhauer, who has won 10 or more games on Jeopardy!, here on the site?

Capital One was still a relatively unknown player in the financial services market in 1999 when Keith Goldberg, working for D’Arcy Advertising, was given the assignment of working with Capital One on their marketing campaign. In order to try to provoke doubt in consumers’ minds about “legacy” card offerers like Chase and Citi, “What’s in your wallet?” and its surrounding ad campaign was born. The phrase became well-known enough that Goldberg and the phrase ended up on New York’s Advertising Walk of Fame, and by 2016, Capital One had become the United States’ 5th-largest credit card issuer by purchase volume.

This is also a rare Final Jeopardy! whose correct response is already in the form of a question; however, I personally doubt I’d take the chance on answering without the initial “What is” if I were playing it. Would you?

Has your local pub quiz gone dark over COVID-19? Many companies are now live-streaming their games online! Check out our calendar of live-streamed trivia events and get your fix!

Since Alex Trebek’s diagnosis of stage 4 pancreatic cancer, many community members have been raising money. The Jeopardy! Fan Online Store is as well! All proceeds from any “Keep The Faith And We’ll Win” shirt sold will be donated to the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. To date, nearly $500 has been raised.)

Kevin $13,000
Sarah $12,500
Jesse $11,200

Jesse $11,200 + $1,800 = $13,000 (What is What’s in your wallet?) (1-day total: $13,000)
Sarah $12,500 – $12,499 = $1 (What is Have you done)
Kevin $13,000 – $12,501 = $499 (What is What ca)

Jesse Laymon, today's Jeopardy! winner (for the April 30, 2020 game.)

Sarah $6,800
Jesse $6,000
Kevin $3,400

1) COLLEGE & UNIVERSITY ORIGINS $600 (clue #14)
Jesse 1800 +1000 (Sarah 2800 Kevin 400)
2) WORLD CAPITAL RIVERS $1200 (clue #12)
Jesse 5600 +5600 (Sarah 10000 Kevin 7000)
3) TOOT SUITE $2000 (clue #30)
Sarah 12800 -300 (Kevin 13000 Jesse 11200)

Number of clues left unrevealed this season: 362 (2.14 per episode average), 5 Daily Doubles

Jesse $6,400 Coryat, 20 correct, 5 incorrect, 35.09% in first on buzzer (20/57), 2/3 on rebound attempts (on 4 rebound opportunities)
Kevin $13,000 Coryat, 16 correct, 3 incorrect, 33.33% in first on buzzer (19/57), 0/0 on rebound attempts (on 5 rebound opportunities)
Sarah $12,800 Coryat, 16 correct, 2 incorrect, 26.32% in first on buzzer (15/57), 2/2 on rebound attempts (on 7 rebound opportunities)
Coryat lost to incorrect responses (less double-correct responses): $12,000

Sarah Jett Rayburn, career statistics:

Kevin Curran, career statistics:

Jesse Laymon, career statistics:

Jesse Laymon, to win:

• Yes, Fred and Wilma were originally called The Flagstones. No, Jeopardy! did not screw up. In my opinion, there are too many viewers who rush to assume that Jeopardy! is wrong, fail to question their own assumptions, and miss out on learning a new fact.

24 Comments on "Today’s Final Jeopardy – Thursday, April 30, 2020"

1. Chris Stratton | April 30, 2020 at 9:12 am |

Andy, thank you as always, I will answer your question with a question: do you think “What’s in your wallet?“ Would be technically correct?

After yesterday’s mishigas, I’m happy to have sorted this one out after maybe five seconds of reflection.

• It would be accepted by the judges, but this does feel like it should have the “What is” in front of it. At least to me. 🙂

• If it was me, I’d definitely put what is what’s in your wallet, even though it sounds silly.

• Chris Stratton | April 30, 2020 at 11:41 am |

I’ve heard it said that “What?“ or “Who?“ would not be correct in the instance that either of those words were the correct response because they are not the full phrasing of a question.

In this case, I would totally go with “What’s in your wallet?“ without a worry.

• Correct me if I’m wrong, but somewhere along the way, I thought I learned that, during the break just before FJ!, contestants were allowed to write “What is” ahead of time. Yes? No? Did I just dream it?

• Yes, they tell you to write “What” or “Who” (no is/are attached) prior to the reveal of FJ.

2. If I knew it wouldn’t affect the outcome I’d definitely would try just “What’s in your wallet?” But I’m not a Dr.

3. It’s hard to watch much television without seeing a commercial with Jennifer Garner or Samuel L. Jackson asking that question. Hopefully they will all get it. I’m old enough to remember a similar campaign in the late 70’s/early 80’s, when American Express had notable people asking “Do you know me?” I think Jack Nicklaus was one of the first to do it.

4. John McCleary | April 30, 2020 at 11:22 am |

I’m pretty sad that Sarah had to go down just before she could’ve won her 5th game. I hope to see her in the ToC

5. This 4-Day curse needs to stop right now.

• Chris Stratton | April 30, 2020 at 11:43 am |

The curse we have been in the midst of, most of this calendar year, has been the one-timers. So at least Sarah broke through that decisively. We haven’t really had a four-day curse in over a year, since last season, which was chock-full of four-time champions.

6. Oh! No-o-o-o!!! Sarah, you came SO CLOSE to winning the hundred grand!!!

Enjoy your $89,000, or whatever is left after taxes – and hope to see you on the next ToC – maybe?

7. Assuming Jeopardy producers selects TOC contestants early around July 10 as they did in 2019, Sarah would likely be in the top 15. But if they wait to Season end, probably not. With covid-19 disruption to recording, who really knows when the Season will end?

8. Clue #21 in J! archive says “flagstone”. I could have sworn it was FLINTSTONE?????

9. Again, champions lose on Thursdays.

10. Martin Cunningham | April 30, 2020 at 3:49 pm |

After wagers are made and locked in for Final, the last prompt that the contestants are given is to write “Who” or “What” in the upper left corner of their screens, thus narrowing down the category for the answer a bit. Tenses are left to be supplied once the clue is revealed and it is determined if the answer is past or present tense, and singular or plural. That said, it could be possible to finish with ” ‘s in your wallet?” but most likely the contestants had already begun thinking along the lines of “What is…” or “What are…” for their response.

11. Maurine Gutowski | April 30, 2020 at 4:39 pm |

From the wording in the clue I had no idea what the answer was. But, ironically, this year, effective on my birthday, our midwest supermarket+ chain based in Michigan, changed its credit card to Citibank. I recognized the symbol immediately but I still wouldn’t have thought of the J! phrase. And I still haven’t used my new card because I don’t know how to sign in to use it and I’ve been homebound with this virus threat, hoping no one living here brings anything dangerous through the door.

12. Charlie Parker was known as Yardbird or just Bird, but I don’t think he was ever called Birdman as Sarah answered. Not sure if she should have gotten credit for that one.

• I agree, that Charlie Parker was most commonly known as “Bird”, and not “Birdman”. I think she would have been correct by just saying “who is Charlie Parker”. I guess she somehow felt confident enough to throw-in “Birdman”, but because she also used his full name, she was judged correct. An interesting situation.

13. Jennifer Garner is VERY big on Jeopardy! commercials here in Kansas City.

14. I agree with Mark above, about her Birdman answer. His nickname was Bird. I thought for sure they would announce a scoring change right before FJ. Ironically, this same thing happened in 2003! I found that out googling for this issue, tonight.

• She had his actual first and last names correct, so I think it was the right call to accept it. Too bad she couldn’t pull it out in Final. She also seemed not to be the best at the buzzer, which might have prevented her from getting some runaways.