Today’s Final Jeopardy – Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Today’s Wednesday! It’s Day #3 of David Faber’s hosting stint, and Matt Amodio’s streak continued yesterday with another big total for the Robin Hood Foundation; $77,200 is the current running total for the foundation through 2 days. Here’s today’s Final Jeopardy (in the category The Declaration of Independence) for Wednesday, August 4, 2021 (Season 37, Game 223):

The first published announcement of the Declaration was by a Philadelphia paper that reported it in this foreign language

Nicole Yuen, an environmental scientist from Berkeley, California
Nicole Yuen on Jeopardy!
Kevin Blum, an attorney originally from Boca Raton, Florida
Kevin Blum on Jeopardy!
Matt Amodio, a Ph.D student from New Haven, Connecticut (10-day total: $362,400)
Matt Amodio on Jeopardy!

Andy’s Pregame Thoughts: Matt needed to double through a late Daily Double after Christina Leone had a strong start to the proceedings yesterday; challengers still have their work quite cut out for them. No 10-time champion has ever lost going for win #11. (I hope I haven’t jinxed proceedings here with that statistic.)

PSA: The best way to keep COVID-19 at bay (and keep Jeopardy! producing new episodes) is for everybody to get their vaccinations as soon as they are able to. When wearing a mask, ensure that your mask covers both your nose and your mouth.

Correct response: What is German?

Did you know that you can now find game-by-game stats of everyone, now including Jason Zuffranieri and James Holzhauer, who has won 10 or more games on Jeopardy!, here on the site?

More information about Final Jeopardy: (The following write-up is original content and is copyright 2021 The Jeopardy! Fan. It may not be copied without linked attribution back to this page.)

There are going to be a lot of confused viewers today. However, I would like to state one thing up front: the clue is correct.

This clue is not asking about the newspaper that published the entire Declaration’s text first. (That was unambiguously the Pennsylvania Evening Post, on July 6, 1776.) What this clue is asking about is the first newspaper to publish about the existence of the Declaration of Independence. One day before, on July 5th—by virtue of being the only Philadelphia-area paper at the time to publish on Fridays—the German-language Pennsylvanischer Staatsbote had learned that Congress had drafted and signed an official declaration renouncing British rule. Thus, that paper (published by Heinrich Miller) was the first to report on the existence of the Declaration. (The news was able to fit on Page 2 of the July 5 paper.) The translated news item: “Yesterday, the honorable Congress of these Western Lands, declared the United Colonies free and independent states. The Declaration is in English and is now at the Press; it is dated July 4, 1776, and will be published either today or tomorrow.” The following week, Miller skillfully translated the Declaration from English into German for the Staatsbote.

Why did Philadelphia have a German-language paper? There was a very significant German-speaking community in Southeast Pennsylvania at the time—many of their descendants still live in that area of the country today, especially in areas near Lancaster.

In terms of the Site Comment Policy: If your comment today makes it seem to me that you have not read the above section, your comment will not be allowed.

Matt $43,200
Kevin $600
Nicole $400

Nicole $400 – $400 = $0 (What is German French?)
Kevin $600 – $201 = $399 (What is Dutch?)
Matt $43,200 – $37,000 = $6,200 (What is French?) (11-day total: $368,600)

Matt Amodio, today's Jeopardy! winner (for the August 4, 2021 game.)

Matt $9,000
Kevin $2,200
Nicole $1,200

1) THE 16th CENTURY $800 (clue #5)
Nicole 1000 -1000 (Matt 2000 Kevin 0)
2) ANTON CHEKHOV $800 (clue #12)
Matt 20200 +10000 (Kevin -600 Nicole -400)
3) “C” IN SCIENCE $2000 (clue #16, $14000 left on board)
Matt 33400 +5000 (Kevin -600 Nicole -400)
Overall Daily Double Efficiency for this game: -36

Number of clues left unrevealed this season: 209 (0.94 per episode average), 2 Daily Doubles

Matt $31,000 Coryat, 34 correct, 3 incorrect, 54.39% in first on buzzer (31/57), 4/4 on rebound attempts (on 5 rebound opportunities)
Kevin $600 Coryat, 11 correct, 4 incorrect, 24.56% in first on buzzer (14/57), 1/1 on rebound attempts (on 4 rebound opportunities)
Nicole $1,400 Coryat, 5 correct, 2 incorrect, 10.53% in first on buzzer (6/57), 0/0 on rebound attempts (on 7 rebound opportunities)
Coryat lost to incorrect responses (less double-correct responses): $10,200

Matt Amodio, career statistics:

Kevin Blum, career statistics:
Average Coryat: $600

Nicole Yuen, career statistics:
0/1 on Daily Doubles (Net Earned: -$1,000)

Matt Amodio, to win:

• $86,400 has been donated thus far to the Robin Hood Foundation; $2,747,026 has been donated on behalf of all hosts.
  • $37,000 is the most ever lost on a single Final Jeopardy! wager; this breaks a longstanding record held by Jack Lechner (who lost a pre-doubled $15,000 on December 2, 1988.)

35 Comments on "Today’s Final Jeopardy – Wednesday, August 4, 2021"

1. My first thought was German as my godfather and his wife were both of German heritage.

2. This may be an erroneous connection on my part but German is the foreign language I associate with the Philadelphia area because the Amish have had settlements there for centuries and I think they speak German or some form of it.
    David Faber is doing a terrific job as guest host! I think Alex would be proud of the way he keeps the focus on the contestants as he realizes his function is more as a facilitator. No drama, no storybook voice modulations, no mistakes. This guy came prepared! He deserves consideration as the permanent Jeopardy host, along with Ken and Buzzy.

• I agree with you 100% about Mr. Faber. He even makes the contestant-interview segment tolerable.

• Tom Galloway | August 4, 2021 at 8:09 pm |

He’s doing the interviews correctly. Way too many guest hosts would say the interesting thing about the player, let the player repeat it and add a little to it (with the host never interacting), and then say “That was a great story, thank you for sharing it with us”.

Faber is giving a hint about the fact, letting the player say the interesting thing about it and elaborate, interacting a bit, and then commenting on the story. He’s not up to Alex’s trademark deadpan comments, but it took Alex years to develop those.

• center ice | August 4, 2021 at 9:34 pm |

Agree with all of this, and he also doesn’t look down at the cards he’s holding during the interviews, instead engaging directly with the player. he would be a great full-time host!

• I always thought some of “Alex’s trademark comments” had a little too much of the “needle” in them, depending on which contestant was on the receiving end. Your comments about Mr. Faber’s interaction with the contestants were, I believe, dead-on.

• I was thinking ‘Dutch’ because of Pennsylvania Dutch – but that may actually be a butchering of Deutsch, which is – German.

3. Having lived in the region for 30+ years, I was aware that there still is a German connection in the city – the Germantown neighborhood in NW Philly. Had I not known that, I probably would have guessed French.

4. I’m not sure this is the best category title for that clue. If I knew a lot about the content of the Declaration, the writing of it, etc., I might feel very confident in seeing that category title. In this case it’s more important to know that most Germans who migrated to America in the 1600/1700s initially settled in Pennsylvania.

• I tend to agree. Matt doesn’t seem the type, but I’d probably be pretty miffed. Broader (“American History”) or narrower (“Languages and the Declaration of Independence”) might have been safer. As is, the category gave a bit of a false sense of specificity.

Anyway, good on Matt for going for the non-James single-day record. Hope this doesn’t scare off the gutsy wagers moving forward.

• Yeah, I’ve just always felt the category title should be descriptive of the correct response, not just related to it somehow. Monday, Historic Businessmen- response, a businessman. Tuesday, Asia- response, an Asian country. Today, the Declaration of Independence- correct response, a foreign language.

5. I got it but there were couple different ways you could have gone. I considered Dutch since they had a strong presence in the northeast in the colonial era and early republic though perhaps more in New York.

6. Relating to your second bullet point, would James Holzhauer’s lost bet of 44,000 in the final game of the GOAT tournament be counted among the highest amount lost in FJ?

• I wouldn’t; that wasn’t played specifically for money; it was also a tournament, which is a separate set of circumstances than a regular game.

7. Ouch, I thought Matt would have been a goner but this clue was a bit misleading. German was my response but it could have been worded better. But glad Matt didn’t go for the record amount of money lost in regular play

8. Thomas Hoisington | August 4, 2021 at 1:56 pm |

I got the right answer for the wrong reason. I thought it was in German because of the German lineage of the British king.

9. Funny what Matt said about his use of “What’s” all the time after Jeopardy verified rules: “Diehard #jeopardy fans like me carry a copy of the official rules at all times, anyway.” This kid is impressive and also originally from Ohio, extra 👍

10. Ronnie Gambardella | August 4, 2021 at 2:47 pm |

Matt is a very good player but Final J! isn’t his strength. His eventual demise will be there…when he doesn’t have a lock game going in against a savy opponemt.

11. I did read the site commentary in its entirety.
    With the FJ category title being “The Declaration of Independence “, and I know a lot on that subject, I’m going to wager HIGH. I might be a little miffed if the correct response turns out to be “German”.
    Congratulations to Matt on another win!

12. Brad (not Rutter) | August 4, 2021 at 5:02 pm |

First, this guy is unbelievable.

Second, OUCH!

• Yeah, it’s unfortunate.

Here’s the thing – out of the 9 champions that have gotten to this point in their winstreak (11 day) the 8 that are not James Holzhauer have already had at least one OUCH-worthy game. The fact that this was the first time Matt has dropped below $19,000 after Final is just more proof of how smart he is.

13. Martha Baker | August 4, 2021 at 7:38 pm |

I think David Faber is doing a great job! I would love to see him as the new host.

14. Pizza Face Fred | August 4, 2021 at 9:24 pm |

Based on Philadelphia’s etymology, I thought someone might go for Greek. I think Matt said he studied Latin in one of his interviews, and his guess would be based on word derivation. Greek didn’t seem likely, though, and I went with French, too . . .

15. Brad (not Rutter) | August 4, 2021 at 9:34 pm |

One thing many will not remember is that in Matt’s first game, there was a point where Josh had 15,000 and Matt 7400, with no daily doubles left.

16. I understand the “ouch” remarks, but had he nailed FJ he would have finished with the highest winnings in a game by anyone not named James! I hope he continues swinging for the fences!

• If so, Matt could crack the top 10 single games list by earnings: #10 is “only” $89, 229, within reach of this remarkable PHD student!

17. Just curious — if only one contestant has a positive score at the end of Double Jeopardy, how much can they wager in Final and still win? Do they have to have a positive score at the end of Final?

• Only with a Daily Double (up to $1000 in Jeopardy! Round & $2000 in Double Jeopardy! round) can someone potentially wager more than they have. If you’re negative you’re disqualified from Final Jeopardy!

• Lili-

They still need to keep a minimum of $1. If all contestants end FJ at 0 (or ineligible for FJ because of a score <= 0) the following show will have 3 new contestants.

• Thank you! Yup — I was wondering if someone were the only contestant to participate in Final Jeopardy (because the other two both had <= 0 at the end of Double Jeopardy), whether that contestant could get away with having a $0 score at the end of FJ. Sounds like the win isn’t called until after FJ, so they still have to keep $1 in reserve. Thanks for the info!

• Someone joked that Alex would do a tap dance routine in the scenario that everyone had $0 or a negative score. I think about that a lot.

18. In the latter part of the Double Jeopardy round, it appeared that Nicole and Kevin were awestruck and just watching Matt instead of playing the game. I can’t say I blame them; I may very well have done the very same thing under the glare of the bright lights while getting crushed by one of the all-time greats.

I’m not sure how many NBA fans are on this board, but opponents were sometimes known to be distracted watching Michael Jordan instead of playing the game.

19. An interesting aspect of Andy’s more information section is that the German paper probably didn’t consider German to be a foreign language (despite it being an English colony). It noted that the DOI was in English, presumably because this wouldn’t be considered a given or obvious to it and its readers.