Today’s Final Jeopardy – Monday, October 11, 2021

Here’s today’s Final Jeopardy (in the category Countries of the World) for Monday, October 11, 2021 (Season 38, Game 21):

Nazi Germany annexed this nation & divided it into regions of the Alps & the Danube; the Allies later divided it into 4 sectors

Jonathan Fisher, an actor originally from Coral Gables, Florida
Jonathan Fisher on Jeopardy!
Jessica Stephens, a statistical research specialist from Nashville, Tennessee
Jessica Stephens on Jeopardy!
Matt Amodio, a Ph.D student from New Haven, Connecticut (38-day total: $1,518,601)
Matt Amodio on Jeopardy!

Andy’s Pregame Thoughts: The Mike Richards era of Jeopardy! has been brought to an end, with Friday’s episode being the final taping where Mike served as Executive Producer. Now, the show can move forward, with Matt Amodio returning to the studio as a 38-day champion. One of the joys of Jeopardy! is that (much like baseball, in fact) there’s just enough randomness built into the game such that you never really know at the start of the game just what’s going to happen. With how Matt’s been playing, today could be the day where he catches every break and wins over $100,000. Or, on the flip side, he could catch some unlucky breaks and today could be the day he loses. And that’s what makes things so exciting.

On a slightly more personal note: From October 16-23, there will be the 6th 168-hour charity live-streaming relay on Twitch to raise money for the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada; more information can be found at gamersvsms.ca. 1 in 385 Canadians live with MS. I’ll be doing my shift as part of the relay on Thursday, October 21 from 2:00 AM to 8:00 AM EDT on my own Twitch channel, twitch.tv/andythequizzer/.

PSA: The best way to keep COVID-19 at bay (and keep Jeopardy! producing new episodes) is for everybody to get their vaccinations as soon as they are able to. When wearing a mask, ensure that your mask covers both your nose and your mouth.

Correct response: What is Austria?

Did you know that you can now find game-by-game stats of everyone, now including Jason Zuffranieri and James Holzhauer, who has won 10 or more games on Jeopardy!, here on the site?

More information about Final Jeopardy: (The following write-up is original content and is copyright 2021 The Jeopardy! Fan. It may not be copied without linked attribution back to this page.)

Much like post-World War II Germany, post-World War II Austria (and Vienna) was partitioned into American, British, French, and Soviet occupation sections; Austria was famously annexed by the Nazis in 1938, in what was known as the Anschluss. From 1942 to 1945, the area was known as “Alpine and Danube Reichsgaue”. For many years following World War II, Austria portrayed itself as “the Nazis’ first victim” which completely failed to acknowledge the country’s contribution to the Nazi regime; it was not until nearly the turn of the century before Austria began reckoning with its past (its President, Nazi intelligence officer Kurt Waldheim, was seen as persona non grata in much of the world during his Presidency in the late ’80s and early ’90s).

Jonathan $14,600
Jessica $14,400
Matt $10,600

Matt $10,600 – $5,000 = $5,600 (What is Poland?)
Jessica $14,400 + $14,399 = $28,799 (What is Austria?)
Jonathan $14,600 + $14,600 = $29,200 (What is Austria?) (1-day total: $29,200)

Jonathan Fisher, today's Jeopardy! winner (for the October 11, 2021 game.)

Matt $9,800
Jonathan $4,000
Jessica $2,400

1) THIS ONE GOES TO 2011 $600 (clue #19)
Jonathan 1600 +1600 (Matt 7400 Jessica 2200)
2) GEORGE WASHINGTON DID IT $1200 (clue #22)
Jonathan 12800 -2000 (Matt 8600 Jessica 13600)
3) NATIONAL LITERARY TITLES $800 (clue #23, $3600 left on board)
Jonathan 10800 +3000 (Matt 8600 Jessica 13600)

Number of clues left unrevealed this season: 0 (0.00 per episode average), 0 Daily Doubles

Jonathan $13,400 Coryat, 16 correct, 2 incorrect, 24.56% in first on buzzer (14/57), 1/1 on rebound attempts (on 4 rebound opportunities)
Jessica $14,400 Coryat, 14 correct, 0 incorrect, 22.81% in first on buzzer (13/57), 1/1 on rebound attempts (on 5 rebound opportunities)
Matt $10,600 Coryat, 23 correct, 5 incorrect, 47.37% in first on buzzer (27/57), 0/1 on rebound attempts (on 1 rebound opportunity)
Coryat lost to incorrect responses (less double-correct responses): $9,400

Matt Amodio, career statistics:

Jessica Stephens, career statistics:

Jonathan Fisher, career statistics:

Jonathan Fisher, to win:

• This is a reminder that Jeopardy! airs as early as noon Eastern on some stations.
  • After James’ and Ken’s losses leaked in advance, I am genuinely surprised that no advance video of today’s game leaked. This is one instance where I don’t at all mind being wrong, though.
  • Obviously, finding both Daily Doubles in Double Jeopardy! helped Jonathan’s victory chances significantly, but what I think really hurt Matt was only scoring a net $800 in Double Jeopardy, only getting in first on the signalling device 9 times and giving 4 incorrect responses.

67 Comments on "Today’s Final Jeopardy – Monday, October 11, 2021"

1. A fairly easy FJ clue I think. “Danube” is kind of a dead giveaway. In the 1949 film “The Third Man,” the Joseph Cotten and Orson Welles characters meet in the Riesenrad (Giant Wheel), which was in the Russian sector of Vienna.

2. Austria was my first guess. I imagine all the contestants will know it, it’s now a matter of how much Matt bets

• Matt is so good with geography I could see him betting a lot on this category. You never know, though. I thought he might bet more than he did on some of the FJs last week. When it’s a runaway, you stay within your comfort level.

3. aaron the crystal clod | October 11, 2021 at 1:32 pm |

A giant killer, as Alex would put it.

4. It was bound to happen one day or another. Ah well.

5. Hopefully Jonathan has a decent run. It is always sad when a giant killer gets knocked out quickly.

• Ronnie Gambardella | October 11, 2021 at 2:16 pm |

If precedent is any guide, he will definitely need two more wins to make it to the TOC

6. Debbie Stover | October 11, 2021 at 1:38 pm |

I’m just very sad.

7. Congrats to Jonathan, and I hope the people who were “sick” of Matt enjoy the next 17 years of (relative) mediocrity.

8. Austria was the answer I got because of the song the blue danube and the Movie the Third Man. But well, Matt played well for 38 games which is a impressive record. John is our new giant killer so hopefully he can score a few runaway games himself. We welcome matt to the tournament of champions now

9. I much appreciate you noting the footage not being leaked; as this episode ended, I did have thoughts along the line of: “look at this petard, and note the lovely embroidery: ‘A.S.’ You have a TAKE to answer for, Andy (namely, last Wednesday’s editorial).” Your remarks here suffice to answer for it to me.

To fellow commenters: any suggestion that any player’s signaling device, especially Matt’s, was tampered with is an accusation of the show of breaking United States Federal law; see link below.

• Ronnie Gambardella | October 11, 2021 at 2:35 pm |

Good thing Mike Richards isn’t the executive producer of todays show. You can best bet the mob would be demanding a Grand Jury.

10. A very surprising result! Matt has probably not traveled in Europe, otherwise how could he think that the Alps and Danube could possibly pertain to Poland? Perhaps he had absolutely no idea and was just repeating the FJ answer from the last day of the recent Tournament of Champions. Clearly he had an “off day,” which is all it takes to lose at Jeopardy!

11. Alison Cooper-Terrell | October 11, 2021 at 1:53 pm |

Fantastic run Matt! Thoroughly enjoyed seeing you every day. I look forward to seeing you again in TOC!

12. I’m sad. Matt had an awesome run and is a great guy.

13. The Jeopardy! round with Matt getting $9.800 was expected. But like Andy said, a mere net $800 in DJ!, besides missing FJ is so strange.

But enjoyed his run and the excitement he generated.

14. Depressing to see how this episode ends, I wanted Matt to stay champion for a few years. Don’t even want to watch today’s episode now.

• I’m definitely not watching it tonight. I don’t want to see Matt lose.
      I’m surprised though that he missed a final J clue which combines his two best subjects, history and geography.
      I’m really sad about this, and will miss Matt’s winning smile. But we definitely have not heard the last from him!

15. Too bad it wasn’t a triple syumper. Matt can be proud of his performance. I’m surprised he missed this FJ.

It’s hard to win from 3rd place in FJ. This was the ONLY time Matt went into FJ without the lead.

16. Side note: Now all the people named Matt who’ve been waiting in the contestant pool can get dropped into the rotation!

• Libby Brown | October 11, 2021 at 8:55 pm |

I’ve never thought about fhat before but I don’t ever remember seeing John C. snd John S. Haha

17. I’ll be watching this episode in 7 hours from now here in the SF Bay area to watch for myself how Matt actually plays this game. Must be really bad if he only makes $800 during DJ. Be that as it may, now we have five official players for the next ToC, whenever that will take place; Brian, Zach, John (at 4 games won), then Courtney, then Matt. Now all we need is ten more 5 day (or more) champions to fill out the rest of the list.
    BUT now that Matt is gone, we may be seeing a lot of one day champions.

18. Pam schultz | October 11, 2021 at 3:12 pm |

I am so sad

19. The Era of King Matt Amodio is over. Long live King Jonathan Fisher. I greatly enjoyed Matt’s style and verve. Thanks, Matt, for a great reign.

20. All In JEOPARDY Fan | October 11, 2021 at 3:52 pm |

I am greatly saddened by this as well. I just hope he is another great champion with 10 plus wins. Has there been anything about Matt on the chase. I would be really excited to see him there. I do hope that he wins the tournament of champions. I also was hoping that he would get to see Ken Jennings as a host and break Ken’s record while Ken’s the host.

21. Aww. An amazing Run and kudos to the giant slayer, but I was really hoping he’d last long enough that Ken would be there as a host to interview the potential contender for his crown.

22. Will miss seeing him but considering he would’ve have lost 20 days ago if Tracy Pitzel knew ‘Who Framed Roger Rabbit’, I can’t complain.

23. Bummer. Jonathan did take advantage of Matt’s weaker knowledge of current pop culture. Sadly, I think Jessica would have been a better chance to go on a multi-day run than Jonathan will be. Can’t bet that weakly on daily doubles.

• Frank Borland | October 11, 2021 at 8:54 pm |

Art, on his first DD, he did the best he could with a “true DD”, doubling his money. For his second and third, he was probably betting to make sure that he stayed ahead of Matt, especially knowing that the big money clues were off the board. Nobody but Jonathan knows the reasoning why he bet what he bet, but I highly doubt that he wagered weakly on his DDs. But that’s just me.

• Ronnie Gambardella | October 12, 2021 at 8:18 am |

I kind of agree. Both DDs in the DJ round came late in the round. Each time he bet just enough to take the lead and it wasn’t from Matt.

24. Incredibly impressive run for Matt Amodio, especially with all of the hosts he had! He may have been a distant third on the overall regular season winnings and a surprisingly distant third in today’s game, but he was amazing overall and worthy of being considered one of the best Jeopardy players of all time. I can’t wait to see him in the Tournament of Champions. It’s just too bad he didn’t get to last long enough to answer clues from Ken.

25. Harvey Sweig | October 11, 2021 at 6:14 pm |

We will truly miss Matt Amodio. He was great & we loved him.
    He kept us watching Jeopardy every week. We wish him the very best in life.

26. It was a great run for Matt, but all good things must come to an end. I will truly miss him. Until TOC, good luck Mr. Amodio & invest your money wisely.

27. I shall miss Matt, and his “What’s” … looking forward to seeing him again in the TOC.

28. Well done, Matt. Well done, all three players today.

29. Sad day for the Jeopardy community. Unlike James’s loss, it felt like Matt really delivered a subpar performance. 5 mistakes is very un Mattlike. Also, I couldn’t believe he missed that Final Jeopardy. It was like watching a sports legend hobble off the court in defeat his last game.

30. Drama, excitement, and three excellent contestants. Thanks to all three for a terrific game today.

31. It was great fun watching Matt win every night. He will be missed. Good luck Matt in your future endeavors. If he had to be beaten, I am happy it was someone that gave him a run for his money.

32. PriceRight89 | October 11, 2021 at 7:56 pm |

Matt’s streak wasn’t going to last forever, but I figured the end was year when he panicked during Double. Kudos to a great player. It will be a treat to see Matt play in the next Tournament of Champions.

33. I’ll miss you Matt! Good luck in all you do. I hope we see more of you and Ken Jennings. You are a winner no matter what! Good bless you. 🙏

34. It was time…..and like Andy always said, it would be a Monday or a Friday. Jessica answering none wrongly reminds me of a basketball player that ends the game with 0 fouls. I wish she had taken a few more chances. As for Matt, I wondered if he ever imagined all the people around the water coolers and the bars talking about him. I am sure we will see Matt vs. James vs. Ken!!

• Frank Borland | October 11, 2021 at 9:01 pm |

What was there for Jessica to take a few more chances? Did you want her to guess on some of the clues and perhaps be wrong? Yeah, perhaps she would have been in the lead going into FJ, but at the time of any guessed responses (only six triple stumpers , nobody knew what would happen with the clues afterwards.

• No we won’t see Matt vs James vs Ken. Ken is now ineligible after hosting.

• After he joined the show as Consulting Producer in Season 37, actually. Prior to that he already said he was done competing after the GOAT tournament.

35. Libby Brown | October 11, 2021 at 8:54 pm |

Matt had an off day. Sad to see. If Matt had to lose I’m sad Jessica didn’t win. Ken and James were defeated by women so that would have been cool to see!

36. Boo, had a meeting so didn’t see Jeop but saw he was trending so was afraid of this bad news. I don’t know if I can handle the contestants going back to starting at $200 😉 Matt was incredible, impressive 30 yr old millionaire!

37. Pam Houseknecht | October 11, 2021 at 9:44 pm |

Answer: Very sad and brokenhearted, but also grateful and happy for his amazing run and the opportunity to watch a true Jeopardy champion play. Question: “What’s how I feel tonight when thinking of Matt?” All the best to Matt. It was a privilege seeing you night after night.

38. I feel Matt’s rise to fame helped Jeopardy regain its popularity since the passing of Alex Trebek. AT would be proud of Matt. Although I’ve always been a fan of the show, I tuned in everyday religiously because of Matt. I was amazed at his scope of knowledge for a 30 yr old.
    Thanks for all you do Andy!

39. A great run for Matt. Fun to watch. But a sobering thought: he was a little more than half way to Kens’s run. Doesn’t seem possible. I saw some of Kens run back in the day but I saw almost all of Matt’s. It makes Ken’s run seem insurmountable. Cheers to both.

40. I am so sad that he lost! I was anxious watching him play today, he seemed off and couldn’t get into the groove. He was never going to beat Ken’s record (could anyone?) but he was a delight to watch and seemed like a genuinely nice person. It will be weird to not see him on the show anymore until TOC whenever that may be.

41. Alex would be proud of Matt and his achievements. I can’t wait to see him in the 2022 ToC, and other future tournaments to come. Congratulations to Jonathan for defeating Matt, and let’s see how or if the show recovers in the post-Richards era.

42. Paul Teshima | October 12, 2021 at 3:08 am |

I enjoyed watching Matt work the board. Certainly one of the all time best. Sad to see him go.
    He must have the record for wins with the most hosts ever!

43. Gregory Bader | October 12, 2021 at 4:18 am |

Really surprised that Matt missed Final Jeopardy, the answer to which was obvious to 73-year-old me, although it wouldn’t have made any difference anyway, since he was too far behind two sharp players, a fact nobody else seemed too mention.

Hey, Jeopardy!, now how about a Baby Boomer tournament? Every other age group and teachers ,the latter of whom usually do the worst of the groups, seems to have its own.

Frankly, I think I would do very well in it, along with many others, and it would stir more excitement for younger people to see we are still in it or with it.

Perhaps add some unique Baby Boomer questions, but leave most of the questions just as they are in terms of the answers. So, how about it, Jeopardy! (?)

A comment: I will say until my dying day that James Holzhauer was far and away the brightest and most strategic contestant ever on the program.

• Ronnie Gambardella | October 12, 2021 at 7:48 am |

There used to be a Seniors Tournament but for some reason it was discontinued. Perhaps additional special tournaments will be added to help bolster ratings. All they now have are children, college, teen, celebrity and teachers and it’s been a while since I’ve seen a few of those.

44. Would like to congratulate Matt for the amazing show he had. Will miss him b/c he’s so personable and has real charm. Way to go, Matt!

45. I feel like Matt put Poland because it was NOT Austria, which is the ~obvious~ first answer. His bet indicates that, because 1st and second were so close, he needed to cover the second place looking to cover 1st place score. Therefore, with the clue, he can deduce that the other 2 are most likely to put Austria, and his guess of Austria, should it be correct, he still does not win the game, but if he puts something else, he has a shot.

Maybe that’s a bit too meta, however. He could have strictly guessed based off of “annexed” or knew he was doomed to begin with and decided to lose on a wrong FJ answer. Either way, he was a graceful and humble champion in defeat.

• Jim Cardillo | October 12, 2021 at 5:26 pm |

The wager goes in before the contestants see the question.

• Yes, I am aware. He was betting to cover the bet that would’ve been similar to how James bet when 2nd in the game he lost, although this time Matt was in 3rd.

This gives him the optionality when the clue is given: answer the obvious if it’s deemed difficult or answer the non-obvious if deemed easy.

If deemed easy, he figures both of the contestants say the same answer and he always loses, and he can say a non-obvious one and win if it was an unlikely correct. And he wins if first gets wrong and second nails it.

If the clue is hard and he’s the only one or no one gets it, he’s also most likely to win.

His odds of winning saying “Austria,” however, are close to 0 since he likely figures the others answer that, as he may have graded it in his head on a difficulty scale.

His bet also indicates that maybe second would bet to cover him as well.