Today’s Final Jeopardy – Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Here’s today’s Final Jeopardy (in the category Poets’ Corner at Westminster Abbey) for Tuesday, June 28, 2022 (Season 38, Game 207):

At his 1892 burial, fit for a baron, the organist put music to his words, “I hope to see my pilot face to face, when I have crost the bar”

Marina Hays, a textile conservator originally from New York, New York
Marina Hays on Jeopardy!
Pete Chattrabhuti, an attorney from Washington, DC
Pete Chattrabhuti on Jeopardy!
Joe Feldmann, a technology professional from Bethesda, Maryland (2-day total: $45,000)
Joe Feldmann on Jeopardy!

Andy’s Pregame Thoughts:

Joe Feldmann is now a two-day champion, after his victory during yesterday’s game. Today’s challengers are DC attorney Pete Chattrabhuti and textile conservator Marina Hays, originally from New York City.

PSA: The best way to keep COVID-19 at bay (and keep Jeopardy! producing new episodes) is for everybody to get their vaccinations as soon as they are able to, including any boosters as recommended. When wearing a mask, please ensure that your mask covers both your nose and your mouth.

Correct response: Who is Alfred, Lord Tennyson?

Did you know that you can now find game-by-game stats of everyone, now including Matt Amodio, Jonathan Fisher, and Amy Schneider, who has won 10 or more games on Jeopardy!, here on the site?

(The following write-up is original content and is copyright 2022 The Jeopardy! Fan. It may not be copied without linked attribution back to this page.)

Alfred, Lord Tennyson wrote “Crossing the Bar” a few years before his 1892 death, using a “sandbar” as an extended metaphor for death; its final stanza is “For tho’ from out our bourne of Time and Place / The flood may bear me far / I hope to see my Pilot face to face / when I have crost the bar.”

Others buried at Poets’ Corner include Geoffrey Chaucer, Edmund Spenser, Ted Hughes, C.S. Lewis, and Philip Larkin.

Game Recap:

Jeopardy! Round:

Categories: The Nifty ’50s; Othello, Macbeth, or Hamlet Sayeth…; Never Won an Emmy; 12-Letter Words; What Are You Afraid Of?; Shoe Know It!

Joe and Marina got off to the best start in today’s game, with challenger Pete not getting in on the signaling device until the first clue after the interviews! Unfortunately, Pete only had $800 after Single Jeopardy!, while Joe and Marina jumped out to an advantage.

Double Jeopardy! Round:

Categories: The Map of Europe; Archaeology Glossary; Dual Biographies; Government Programs; Hit Me; With Your Best “Shot”

Double Jeopardy! became a 3-player battle, with Pete picking up three $2,000 clues to jump into the lead late! Unfortunately, Joe found the middle “too much to protect the lead, but not enough to bet for the game outright” range on his final Daily Double, which gave Marina an opening—she got two of the last three clues to hold a slim lead going into Final Jeopardy!. Scores going into the final round were Marina at $11,000, Pete at $10,800, and Joe at $10,600.

Final was a Triple Stumper today, but Pete decided to take a chance by standing pat—it worked out for him, as he is now Jeopardy! champion! He’ll return tomorrow to go for victory number two!

Tonight’s Game Stats:

Looking to find out who won Jeopardy! today? Here’s the Tuesday, June 28, 2022, Jeopardy! by the numbers:

Marina $11,000
Pete $10,800
Joe $10,600

Joe $10,600 – $0 = $10,600 (Who is Lord Byron?)
Pete $10,800 – $0 = $10,800 (Who is Lord Byron?) (1-day total: $10,800)
Marina $11,000 – $5,500 = $5,500 (Who is Lord Byron?)

Pete Chattrabhuti, today's Jeopardy! winner (for the June 28, 2022 game.)

Joe $5,800
Marina $3,400
Pete $800

1) OTHELLO, MACBETH OR HAMLET SAYETH… $400 (clue #12)
Marina 2000 -1000 (Joe 1800 Pete 0)
2) DUAL BIOGRAPHIES $1600 (clue #15)
Marina 5000 +2000 (Joe 9800 Pete 2400)
3) ARCHAEOLOGY GLOSSARY $800 (clue #27, $4800 left on board)
Joe 12600 -2000 (Pete 10800 Marina 7800)
Overall Daily Double Efficiency for this game: -26

Number of clues left unrevealed this season: 83 (0.40 per episode average), 0 Daily Doubles

Pete $10,800 Coryat, 10 correct, 1 incorrect, 17.54% in first on buzzer (10/57), 0/1 on rebound attempts (on 4 rebound opportunities)
Joe $12,600 Coryat, 20 correct, 4 incorrect, 38.60% in first on buzzer (22/57), 0/1 on rebound attempts (on 2 rebound opportunities)
Marina $11,600 Coryat, 16 correct, 3 incorrect, 28.07% in first on buzzer (16/57), 1/1 on rebound attempts (on 2 rebound opportunities)
Coryat lost to incorrect responses (less double-correct responses): $6,200

Joe Feldmann, career statistics:

Pete Chattrabhuti, career statistics:

Marina Hays, career statistics:

Pete Chattrabhuti, to win:

Today’s interviews:

Marina got to repair Bjork’s swan dress.
Pete wears an orange tie for superstition.
Joe recently developed a carpentry habit.

• I thought that Marina’s Final Jeopardy! bet was a poor choice, considering that Pete had occasion to bet significantly. If you’re not going to cover in this position, you need to bet very small and hope for the Triple Stumper. A middling bet gains zero advantage.
  • Link to the box score: June 28, 2022 Box Score

Final Jeopardy! wagering suggestions:

(Scores: Marina $11,000 Pete $10,800 Joe $10,600)

Joe: Bet between $801 (thereby defending against a small bet from Marina or Pete) and $10,199 (thereby staying ahead of Pete and Marina if they choose to cover.) (Actual bet: $0)

Pete: Standard cover bet against Joe is $10,401. (Actual bet: $0

Marina: Standard cover bet against Pete is $10,601. (Actual bet: $5,500)

31 Comments on "Today’s Final Jeopardy – Tuesday, June 28, 2022"

1. The clues are so difficult now that few people would know them. They need to tone it down. They also need a change in format like more ways to earn money.I would like to see a bonus for running a category.

• Bonus in Jeopardy? Sacrilege! 🙂

• As long as one or more contestants are correctly solving FJ, they are probably appropriate in difficulty. Those of us on the sidelines are hardly the best standard to go by.
      And I disagree with your suggested bonus. I believe the earned score is adequate reward for running a category.

• I propose a bonus of the max clue amount (1K in single, 2K in double) if a contestant runs a category, but ONLY if they run it consecutively in order from the top (lowest amount) down. Encourages playing categories the way the writers intend them to be played, as opposed to jumping around or DD hunting

• Robert Fawkes | June 28, 2022 at 7:54 pm |

As the saying goes, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

• There hasn’t been a triple solve in a while, although a few of them should’ve been. I got Lord Tennyson only b/c I’m not well versed in poetry enough to know Lord Byron.

• Libby Brown | June 28, 2022 at 11:44 pm |

It’s supposed to be hard. If it wasn’t hard, everyone would do it. – Jimmy Dugan, A League of Their Own (1992)

2. David Gong | June 28, 2022 at 11:35 am |

I came up with Lord Byron.

3. Maybe today’s contestants are too young to have played the card game “Authors”, wherein one of the Tennyson selections was “Crossing the Bar.”

• Pam Schultz | June 28, 2022 at 2:13 pm |

Played many a game of Authors and knew in an instant it Was Tennyson. First time in a long time I got FJ. I remember that Stevenson had a purple suit! Tennyson had a great beard! Good trivia exercise: name the authors included in the game.

• Well, there are 13 of them (the game can actually be played with an ordinary deck of cards), and the ones that come to mind are Tennyson, Dickens, Twain, Alcott, Scott and Longfellow. That’s without cheating (by looking them up!) so I’m still missing seven.

• Was it also Shakespeare,Melville, Hawthorne, Robert Louis Stevenson, James Fenimore Cooper and brain freeze can’t remember who wrote Rip Van Winkle

• Robert Fawkes | June 28, 2022 at 10:32 pm |

“Rip Van Winkle” was written by Washington Irving. I’m thinking Edgar Allan Poe may have been included in the game also.

• Pam Schultz | June 29, 2022 at 2:02 pm |

At the risk of being a know it all, but in the pursuit of correct info, I looked game up and there are 11 authors with 4 cards each.

• I have not met another Authors player! This final was a gimme for me and I can still picture the card because I used to confuse Tennyson and Dickens (similar beards). So good.

4. I remember hearing about Tennyson although I have not read his poems. But still though since the players stood pat on their wagers, Pete might win another game tomorrow. Honestly I wish these contestants would step up their game and get less triple stumpers in the main rounds

5. Michael Johnston | June 28, 2022 at 3:06 pm |

I missed it. Poetry and poets are a big weakness of mine, although the baron clue might have tipped me off if I had thought about it.

Current FJ streak: 1L

6. Like Pam Shultz and Nick-O, I also answered correctly in an instant thanks to playing the game of Authors with my mom (and I rarely answer FJs correctly). Thanks, Mom😘

7. Robert Fawkes | June 28, 2022 at 6:47 pm |

This was an instance where standard wagering strategy went out the window. It looks to me like the contestants based their wagers on knowledge (or lack of knowledge) in the category. Even the one who actually risked some money went low, probably, due to lack of confidence in knowledge of the category. Really kind of rare to have two zero bets. The only way for the leader to have won would have been to risk nothing or close to nothing. That would be a really risky wager for someone in the lead. Although things did not go according to Hoyle, this did make for an interesting game. I thought the game was enjoyable all-around due to how close it was all the way through.

On a side note, in my opinion, just because there was a triple stumper doesn’t mean the clues are getting particularly more difficult. For many people, today’s clue was actually pretty easy. All you had to do was be familiar with one single Tennyson poem called “Crossing The Bar,” which many of us had to read in English class. Maybe, school was tougher or more demanding back in the day. JK 🙂

8. Andy, was it you that had said something in the past about hoping for a game where all 3 contestants wagered 0 for Final?
    I thought today may have been that day… but alas, no.

9. Great comeback for Pete!

10. Exciting game. Pete only had $800 after Single. But he rebounded nicely, and the 3 players were virtually tied after Double, each above $10,000. Pete’s $0 FJ bet worked out for him on a Triple Stumper. Maybe it was his lucky orange tie!

11. Orange tie comes through! That was a very exciting game, although Marina bet poorly on her Daily Double as well as in the final. What color tie brings luck in the second match?

12. Is two successful buzz-ins in the Jeopardy round a record low for a champion?

• Robert Fawkes | June 28, 2022 at 10:25 pm |

Can’t say for sure but probably not. There have been people with negative scores after the Jeopardy round who went on to win the game. Maybe, Andy can correct me if I’m wrong.

• one has to successfully buzz in first in order to lose money on an incorrect response (unless it was a rebound; dunno if those are factored into the buzzer stats)

13. Pizza Face Fred | June 29, 2022 at 12:03 am |

Poetry and I diverged in a wood. Because I did not stop for Poetry, it passed largely unnoticed by me. (Profusely paraphrased portmanteau poetry.) I guessed Keats. Hey, I got yesterday’s. I was a “computer guy” for 21 years, after all. I think the Finals have been getting easier lately, not harder, as someone commented on. Maybe they’re writing them out of concern for the geriatric crowd, part of the club I’m in, and well represented on this site, I’m supposing. Maybe the writers themselves are part of that club (-:

14. Joe had a fairly impressive 20 right, vs Pete’s 10 right. If Joe had bet just a little less in Double Jeopardy, Joe would have won.

15. The Classicist | June 29, 2022 at 1:38 am |

To be fair, this is pretty top-level for someone who knows the category, and it’s a category that comes up quite often on Jeopardy.

Just because it’s hard for you, that doesn’t mean it’s a hard question. I got it on the word “baron.” Yet give me a clue about modern pop songs or baseball and it’s all crickets in my head.

Thankfully, Jeopardy is one place where school subjects are still asked about. They don’t bother with too much of this in pub trivia.

And FYI, Lord Byron died in the early 19th century. Went off to fight in the Greek civil war and took deathly ill. Wrote mostly about love. Tennyson, though, was the guy who wrote Charge of the Light Brigade. This question had a few ways in.

16. Not up on olde English poets. Did “study” them in school LONG AGO, but for a very short time of quite short examples. The words did sound familiar, but unfortunately I felt they “sounded like” Coleridge. Had I realized that a baron is a Lord, I MIGHT have guessed it as I usually remember the existence of an Alfred, Lord Tennyson (without remembering what sort of literature he wrote).