Today’s Final Jeopardy – Tuesday, November 29, 2022

Warning: This page contains spoilers for the November 29, 2022, game of Jeopardy! — please do not scroll down if you wish to avoid being spoiled. Please note that the game airs as early as noon Eastern in some U.S. television markets.

Here’s today’s Final Jeopardy (in the category Names in U.S. History) for Tuesday, November 29, 2022 (Season 39, Game 57):

This father was the only man among the 13 plaintiffs in a class-action case filed in 1951

Today’s Jeopardy! contestants:

Matt Harvey, a healthcare administrator from Providence, Rhode Island
Matt Harvey on Jeopardy!
Sheila Anderson, a philanthropic advisor from Seattle, Washington
Sheila Anderson on Jeopardy!
Cris Pannullo, a customer success operations manager from Ocean City, New Jersey (16-day total: $566,344)
Cris Pannullo on Jeopardy!

Andy’s Pregame Thoughts:

Cris Pannullo won his 16th game yesterday in his 14th runaway, even though he wasn’t leading after the Jeopardy! round. Today, he faces Sheila Anderson and Matt Harvey. When a player’s streak gets this long, the question starts to get asked: when will Cris lose? Cris’s loss, whenever that is, will come down to the inherent variance within a game of Jeopardy!—the categories, the signaling device, and most importantly, the Daily Doubles. Cris has done an impeccable job of keeping Daily Doubles to himself, and he’ll only get stronger on the signaling device once he gets used to it at the start of a tape day. I also think that most viewers aren’t as aware of the inherent variance in a game as they should be, which leads to absurd statements and accusations made on social media by these viewers.

PSA: The best way to keep COVID-19 at bay (and keep Jeopardy! producing new episodes) is for everybody to get their vaccinations as soon as they can, including any boosters as recommended. When wearing a mask, please ensure that your mask covers both your nose and your mouth.

I recently updated my tournament wildcard models with as much tournament data as I’ve been able to find! If you’re playing in a tournament, you’ll want to check this out!

Do you appreciate the work I do here on The Jeopardy! Fan? Would you like to make a one-time contribution to the site? You may do so here!

Correct response: Who is Oliver Brown?

You can find game-by-game stats here at The Jeopardy! Fan of all 15 players, including Matt Amodio, Jonathan Fisher, Amy Schneider, Mattea Roach, Ryan Long, and Cris Pannullo, that have won 10 or more games on Jeopardy!!

(The following write-up is original content and is copyright 2022 The Jeopardy! Fan. It may not be copied without linked attribution back to this page.)

Oliver Brown was a Topeka welder who was one of the 13 plaintiffs in the landmark Supreme Court case Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, which ruled in 1954 that American state laws regarding public school segregation were unconstitutional. The full list of plaintiffs were Darlene Brown, Oliver Brown, Lena Carper, Sadie Emmanuel, Marguerite Emmerson, Shirla Fleming, Zelma Henderson, Shirley Hodison, Maude Lawton, Alma Lewis, Iona Richardson, Vivian Scales, and Lucinda Todd. Thurgood Marshall, who later became the first African-American Surpreme Court justice, was the NAACP’s chief counsel.

You can now listen to Alex Trebek-hosted Jeopardy! episodes from TuneIn Radio without leaving The Jeopardy! Fan — listen now!

Game Recap:

Jeopardy! Round:

(Categories: Politicians Back In The Day; We Make That Vehicle; Annual Events; Tv Cartoon Villains; How Tall/Long/High?; “Give” Or “Take”)

Cris seemed to struggle early on with incorrect responses, which gave Matt an early opening; Matt found the Daily Double and doubled up to hold a bit of a lead after 15 clues! In the second half of the round, Cris made up some of the deficit but for the second day in a row, a challenger led after the Jeopardy! round!

Statistics at the first break (15 clues):

Matt 7 correct 1 incorrect
Cris 4 correct 2 incorrect
Sheila 2 correct 1 incorrect

Statistics after the Jeopardy round:

Matt 10 correct 2 incorrect
Cris 12 correct 3 incorrect
Sheila 5 correct 2 incorrect

Double Jeopardy! Round:

(Categories: German Cities; Cast Upon The Waters; Nobel Literature Prize Winners; Huff & Puff; Molecules; More Than One Silent Letter)

This round came down to the Daily Doubles—again. Matt found the first one and only bet $5,000. However, it left Cris an opening with the second Daily Double still in play, and Cris took it—doubling his score on clue 19 to take the lead! Things got very close after Matt rebounded a $2,000 neg by Cris, but the scores going into Final were Cris at $24,000, Matt at $21,400, and Sheila at $4,200.

Statistics after Double Jeopardy:

Cris 22 correct 5 incorrect
Matt 23 correct 5 incorrect
Sheila 7 correct 2 incorrect
Total number of unplayed clues this season: 12 (0 today).

Sheila and Cris got Final correct—and that was enough for Cris to win game #17! He’ll go for win #18 tomorrow!

Tonight’s Game Stats:

Looking to find out who won Jeopardy! today? Here’s the Tuesday, November 29, 2022 Jeopardy! by the numbers:

Cris $24,000
Matt $21,400
Sheila $4,200

Sheila $4,200 + $0 = $4,200 (Who is Brown?)
Matt $21,400 – $12,999 = $8,401 (Who is James)
Cris $24,000 + $20,000 = $44,000 (Who is Brown) (17-day total: $610,344)

Cris Pannullo, today's Jeopardy! winner (for the November 29, 2022 game.)

Matt $6,400
Cris $4,400
Sheila $1,800

1) HOW TALL/LONG/HIGH? $600 (clue #8)
Matt 2000 +2000 (Cris 800 Sheila 800)
2) MORE THAN ONE SILENT LETTER $2000 (clue #8)
Matt 13600 +5000 (Cris 6400 Sheila 1800)
3) NOBEL LITERATURE PRIZE WINNERS $800 (clue #19, $8800 left on board)
Cris 12400 +12400 (Sheila 1800 Matt 17400)

Clue Selection by Row, Before Daily Doubles Found:

J! Round:
Cris 4 5 5 4
Sheila 5
Matt 4 4 3*

DJ! Round:
Cris 4 3 4 5 5 4 3 4 3 2 2*
Sheila 2
Matt 3 4 4 3 5* 3 5

Average Row of Clue Selection, Before Daily Doubles Found:

Cris 3.80
Matt 3.80
Sheila 3.50

Number of clues left unrevealed this season: 12 (0.21 per episode average), 0 Daily Doubles

Cris $12,400 Coryat, 22 correct, 5 incorrect, 42.11% in first on buzzer (24/57), 2/2 on rebound attempts (on 6 rebound opportunities)
Matt $17,000 Coryat, 23 correct, 5 incorrect, 36.84% in first on buzzer (21/57), 4/5 on rebound attempts (on 7 rebound opportunities)
Sheila $4,200 Coryat, 7 correct, 2 incorrect, 14.04% in first on buzzer (8/57), 1/1 on rebound attempts (on 9 rebound opportunities)
Coryat lost to incorrect responses (less double-correct responses): $11,600

Cris Pannullo, career statistics:

Sheila Anderson, career statistics:

Matt Harvey, career statistics:

Cris Pannullo, to win:

Today’s interviews:

Matt was an extra in a TV movie as a 16-year-old.
Sheila was proposed to with a “taco truck” ring.
Cris is not particularly superstitious but has had the same lunch every day when taping.

• Cris moves to 9th overall in terms of overall money won on the show, including tournaments. Matt Jackson sits 8th at $611,612.
  • $44,000 is the 135th-best known single-day score of all time.
  • The Jeopardy! staff is going to have a hard time selecting Second Chance participants—I suspect worthy players may be left out!
  • Today’s box score: November 29, 2022 Box Score.

Final Jeopardy! wagering suggestions:

(Scores: Cris $24,000 Matt $21,400 Sheila $4,200)

Cris: Standard cover bet over Matt is $18,801. (Actual bet: $20,000)

Sheila: If Cris bets to cover Matt and is incorrect, he falls to $5,199. Thus, you need to bet at least $1,001. (Actual bet: $0)

Matt: Bet between $5,201 (in case Cris bets small) and $12,999 (thereby keeping Sheila locked out.) (Actual bet: $12,999)

26 Comments on "Today’s Final Jeopardy – Tuesday, November 29, 2022"

1. Michael Johnston | November 29, 2022 at 9:23 am |

Dang 🙁 I knew the case, but I couldn’t remember the man’s first name, which I’m pretty sure would be needed.

Current FJ streak: 1L
    Hoping to bounce back tomorrow!

• I think that if you just give Brown, you should get credit today.

• Michael Johnston | November 29, 2022 at 10:40 am |

Looking at the case, I saw one of the other plaintiffs was also named Brown, which made me think the full name might be required. I hope you’re right! Maybe it will get tested by one or more players today.

• Michael Johnston | November 29, 2022 at 1:18 pm |

I should have trusted your opinion Andy… Sorry😔
          but of course, that means I was right the first time! Thanks!
          KUTGW!🙂👍

• Robert Fawkes | November 29, 2022 at 1:34 pm |

The other plaintiff named Brown was the wife of Oliver Brown, so the two were a couple. The case became known as “Brown v. Board of Education” so I’m certain that only the last name would be required for a correct response.

Interestingly enough, the case was named “Oliver Brown et al. v. The Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas” as a legal strategy to have a man as the lead plaintiff. Remember, this was the 1950’s, so that made sense back then.

2. Cris is doing such a great job…win #17 and over 600,000+. Wow

3. This was the case that gave me a reason to remember brown vs board of education. The memories of US history came back to me today. But I am happy to see Cris winning and I am glad Shiela got this one too. The case made national headlines in the papers years ago.

4. Robert Fawkes | November 29, 2022 at 1:45 pm |

Andy,

Something you wrote yesterday got me to thinking. You wrote, “Remember, Mattea Roach received $10,000 for making the Tournament of Champions semifinals. I still don’t understand why the show doesn’t include this on the Leaderboard of Legends.”

While I agree with you that this should be included, I was trying to think of why the show might not include it in Champion totals. I’m wondering if this might be considered a consolation prize rather than “Winnings.” Does the show consider it to be similar to the $2,000 and $1,000 that non-winning contestants get in a regular episode? Obviously, the show does not include the one or two thousand dollars when a Champion loses their last game. By that reasoning, that could be the reason they don’t include the non-winning amount in Tournament totals. Just a thought on why the $10,000 for Mattea or whatever amount for anyone is not included in winnings for Tournament play.

• Yes, that is likely the case.

However, I am of firm belief that the show needs to include all tournament winnings in its Leaderboard of Legends. The fans know how much these players get in this games, and it only serves to confuse them when the show doesn’t also include it in its calculations.

• All of the earnings from the show should definitely be included in the all-time money lists, to include even the consolation prizes. Jeopardy can get around this problem by using the word “earnings” instead of “winnings”.

• I was thinking exactly this, but then I realized: I believe Ken Jennings placed second in a number of tournaments, and I think those second-place prizes were added to his total? Plus, James Holzhauer’s second-place prize for the GOAT tournament seems to also be there. (Maybe there are more examples, but I don’t follow Jeopardy carefully enough.)

So, what is the cutoff they are using for “consolation prize”? It seems pretty arbitrary.

5. Not sure if Cris is slipping or if he’s just running into tougher opponents this week. Probably the latter, mostly.

• I was wondering the same thing. I hope you’re right, for now at least. I’m really enjoying his performance.

• I always wonder at what point in the day’s taping he is in. For the others it’s their first taping. For Cris it could be his 5th. That seems like it would be a handicap.

6. Is the second chance tournament even going to be a regular thing going forward? I figured it was just a special tournament to compliment the 3 super champs. Also poor Matt was looking super strong today I thought we had a new champ coming.

• Sarah has said on the last two episodes of “Inside Jeopardy” that it will be a thing.

• Ahh yeah I forgot that podcast is a thing I need to subscribe to that. Will be interesting to see how they figure out how many qualify ahead of time or how they work the actual tournament next year… maybe that’s been discussed on the podcast too.

7. Seth Stevens | November 29, 2022 at 2:27 pm |

Amazing win by Cris. His opponent was 2/2 on Daily Doubles and had a $5000 higher Coryat yet Cris still won and was in the lead going into final J!

8. Bill Vollmer | November 29, 2022 at 5:12 pm |

I read the Final Jeopardy clue, and, said “Brown v. Board of Ed.” Now the correct response was Brown. Andy, would’ve my response been accepted, since it contains the correct response, or, would I have been ruled wrong, since the clue seems to call for an indivual,aand, not the case?

• IMHO, I think they would have accepted it as that would just be (demonstrably unnecessary) clarification as to what person of the last name Brown it was. However, it would have taken so much time and “space” to write the additional words that I think an actual contestant writing the response (instead of a viewer saying it) would assume that the show was not expecting the additional [longer than including a given name] wording (and would also fear not getting it all down in time [or their abbreviations not being written clearly enough], thus making their ‘Brown’ portion unaccepted).

9. I know they can’t invite everyone, but Matt seems deserving of a second chance.

10. IMO the answer “dilation” was correct as the clue asked “NO2 was found to have this affect on blood vessels”. Be Use the word vessel was in ludeed in the clue there was no need for the prefix vaso. Anyone else find this odd?

• Laurel:

The press release regarding the award of the 1998 Nobel Prize (which was mentioned in the clue) specifically mentioned vasodilation. Thus, in light of this, I agree with the judges requiring vaso-; just “dilation” was not specific enough to fit all parts of the clue otherwise.

11. I almost had to turn the show off because I was so worried that this would be it for Cris. So I peeked here and saw that he won so watched the rest of the show.

12. Cris likely made more money than he would have if Matt would have properly played the “anti-super-champion” strategy and bet it all on the second DJ. About 6k

13. Brown was all I could come up with so that counts as a win.

It wouldn’t have mattered if Matt had made a bigger bet on his Daily Double since Cris would have overtaken him in FJ anyway. But it’s nice to see someone give Cris a run for his money. I like superchamps more when they’re vulnerable. Less boring that way.