Today’s Final Jeopardy – April 28, 2017

Here’s today’s Final Jeopardy (in the category Historic Works’ First Lines) for Friday, April 28, 2017:

The annual labour of every nation is the fund which originally supplies it with all the necessaries and conveniences of life

Kevin McCarthy, a postal clerk from Lincoln, Rhode Island
Rachel Snyder, a writer from Grand Rapids, Michigan
Alan Lin, a software engineer from Santa Barbara, California (4-day total: $84,400)

If you haven’t seen it yet, you should check out our state-by-state map of where Season 33’s players have hailed from (best viewed on desktop or tablet).

Have you had the chance to check out our 2017 Tournament of Champions Tracker? It now contains a graphic of the day-by-day changes in the qualification chances of the players on the bubble!

Click/Tap Here for Final Jeopardy! Correct Response/Question

What is The Wealth of Nations?

[collapse]

Looking to find out who won Jeopardy! tonight? Did you miss the Galapagos Great Escape Sweepstakes secret word? Today’s Jeopardy! results and secret word will go up on this page late afternoon, with full stats early to late evening. They will be seen in the comments section at the bottom of this page.

Adam Smith’s seminal economics work, 1776’s An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations, is most famous for the concept of the “invisible hand”, which speaks of the unintended social benefits of individual actions. It is also well known in introductory economics as the “force” which pushes supply and demand towards equilibrium in classical economic theory.

Make sure to tune in Monday, May 1 at 9:05 PM Eastern when Alan will be joining us on #JeopardyLivePanel’s Live Roundtable to talk about this past week’s games!

Remember, you can also now get the following products (and others!) from our new store! Here are our top sellers; all prices are in US dollars!

(contestant photo credit: jeopardy.com)

(When commenting, please note that all comments on The Jeopardy! Fan must be in compliance with the Site Comment Policy.)

Become a Supporter now! Make a donation to the site on Patreon!

27 Comments on "Today’s Final Jeopardy – April 28, 2017"

1. Galapagos Great Escape secret word: SNORKEL

Alan $21,400
    Rachel $9,000
    Kevin $7,800

Final results:
    Kevin $7,800 + $1,201 = $9,001
    Rachel $9,000 – $7,000 = $2,000 (What is Das Kapital?)
    Alan $21,400 + $3,000 = $24,400 (5-day total: $108,800)

Alan $4,000
    Kevin $3,400
    Rachel $3,400

1) LIT-POURRI $1000 (14th pick)
    Alan 4400 -4000 (Kevin 1200 Rachel 800)

2) ANNUAL EVENTS $1200 (15th pick)
    Rachel 7400 -2000 (Kevin 10200 Alan 7200)
    3) THE SPANISH-AMERICAN WAR $1600 (22nd pick)
    Alan 13200 +3000 (Kevin 8200 Rachel 7000)

J! round: None!
    DJ! round: None!
    $ Left on Board: $0

Alan $24,000 Coryat, 28 correct, 1 incorrect, 45.61% in first on buzzer
    Kevin $7,800 Coryat, 15 correct, 5 incorrect, 35.09% in first on buzzer
    Rachel $11,000 Coryat, 12 correct, 1 incorrect, 15.79% in first on buzzer
    Coryat lost to incorrect responses (less double-correct responses): $6,800

Alan Lin, stats to date:
    116 correct
    10 incorrect

Alan Lin, to win:
    Avg. Total Winnings (not including ToC): $147,800

ToC projection update:
    With a projected 75 regular-play games to go prior to the Tournament of Champions cutoff, after 250,000 simulations, our model shows:
    An average of 3.6035 5+-time champions (standard deviation 1.2823).
    An average of 5.0412 4+-time champions (standard deviation 1.5703).

An early cutoff took place 23.341% of the time (or a 5-game winner will be left out).

Tim Kutz qualified 45.795% of the time.
    Todd Giese qualified 11.475% of the time.
    Rob Liguori qualified 1.952% of the time.
    Fred Vaughn qualified 0.331% of the time.

(Note: Due to the possibility of a WGA strike, I feel that it is more accurate for ToC projections to add 20 games to the end of the previous projected qualifying period.)

2. john blahuta | April 28, 2017 at 1:38 pm |

Ok, I have seen some strangely worded clues for FJ over the decades but none like this. I had to read it 3 times before I even had SOME idea what they were talking about.
    Prediction ZERO correct (and I VERY raely go 3/3 or 0/3).
    Among wrong answers:
    National product
    Domestic product
    Domestic gross product
    Gross product
    National gross product

and any combination of the words above….

Since it is Friday I am surprised (usual the Friday clues are the easy ones) but first of all have a safe and fun weekend, everybody!!!!!

• How is that strangely worded? It’s the first line of the work. I wouldn’t be surprised if everyone gets it.

• john blahuta | April 28, 2017 at 3:56 pm |

IF they figure out they are asking for a “work”, a book, then “Das Kapital” would be the # 1 wrong answer imo. Look at the professions of the players and the fact the book was published 1776 AND in Scotland.
        And when Europe is involved….. I would be surprised, if even 1 gets it. If somebody has not read the book or at least something close connected with it then my hopes for correct solutions are rather slim.

• john blahuta | April 28, 2017 at 4:00 pm |

But then again, I have been wrong before. We shall see. I just don’t see how a postal clerk, a writer or a software engineer would know about a 18th century work about economics from Scotland, even though it is being taught all over the world by now. So maybe i WILL have to go into hiding if you are right…:):):)

3. john blahuta | April 28, 2017 at 2:22 pm |

Maybe I should add an explanation: by the time the players get through the “elaborate” clue they will have forgotten that this is not a statement by some economist or a banking organization, but that that they are asking for the title of an actual book and the clue is the foreword….
    Being written in the 18th century and by a Scottish author to boot I have to stick with my ZERO prediction. Maybe someone will come up with a book, so let me add another wrong answer: “Das Kapital” . Marx is at least in the same area as Adam Smith, maybe somebody might even come up with the “The Communist Manifesto”,Marx/Engels…. All in the wider area of “economics”.
    But by the time the players will figure out that the clue is the intro to the solution, it will be too late. We have a writer, a software engineer and a postal clerk today. Nowhere even close to economics, not as a profession or studying it.
    If we had an economic major or somebody in a profession such as a banker, economic (or other) professor,teacher etc….MAYBE!
    But ZERO it is and with my luck all 3 will get it and I shall hide over the weekend…

Again, have a great one, everybody!!

4. john blahuta | April 28, 2017 at 4:46 pm |

well, again half right. DAS KAPITAL. Surprised about the 2 right answers, to be honest!

5. john blahuta | April 28, 2017 at 4:49 pm |

And with his second runaway we finally have a 5 time champ. It was getting kind of scary, having a new champ almost every day! Congratulations, Alan!!

6. How old is Alan? He is so impressive!! Looks so young!

7. Thank goodness he won 5. Thank you god ! I’m really relieved on many levels he’s in the TOC party

8. Harris Stutman | April 28, 2017 at 8:54 pm |

Andy: Could you clarify how Fred Vaughn has a > 0% chance for the TOC when he is now 15th and we still have another Teacher’s Tournament winner to add?

• Certainly. There is a small chance that Alan continues to win until the end of the ToC period (which means that Fred would, in fact, qualify.)

While I am aware that the model does give a little bit too much weight this outlier possibility, I am comfortable with it essentially giving 300-to-1 odds (and an extra two or three tenths of a percent here or there is immaterial as you approach the center).

9. Dal Higbee | April 28, 2017 at 9:56 pm |

The FJ! leader got Final right. That’s what every Friday game should be!

10. I think the British English spelling of “labour,” once I reread the clue, should’ve lead the contestants away from Marx. I went that way, too…

• Marx was in England when he wrote his major works, though, so why would you be steered away from him by that?

• I don’t know the particulars of all knowledge, like the past participle of “lead.” I might’ve gone another way had I seen “labour” when I read it, that’s all. Thought it might’ve been an additional clue provided by the writers.

11. Donald Williams | April 28, 2017 at 11:21 pm |

Jeopardy is our most favorite show.

12. Carl R Donaldson | April 29, 2017 at 1:52 pm |

Evening engagement prevent my viewing of JEOPARDY!Friday, April28, 2017. Would someone let me know the contest word of the day – please. THNX.

13. Carl R Donaldson | April 29, 2017 at 3:03 pm |

Appears I was looking too hard. Sorry. Thnx.

14. Jake Potter | April 29, 2017 at 10:18 pm |

Ben roelthesburger or however you spell it is not from Lima but Findlay!!! How has no one noticed this yet???

• Jake:

The reason why “no one” has “noticed this yet” is because you are not quite correct with your assertion.

Per Ben Roethlisberger’s official biography, he was, in fact, born in Lima, thus providing a source for the show’s clue.

• I almost clammed on this clue myself. I lived in Findlay briefly before I moved to Pennsylvania to take my current job, and I knew that in some manner, Big Ben was “from” there. Fortunately, the year 2006 being given narrowed it to two* options, and since the second of those (Peyton Manning) made no sense, I picked up the LT.

* The year also threw me for a second, since Roethlisberger’s first Super Bowl title was in the 2005 season; it seems that (without having researched the point) the show may have on this topic an inconsistency similar to that shown on years of Oscar wins, and no intent to rectify it.

15. How do I enter previous word of the day if I was late entering the word of the day?

• You can’t. The official rules state an official closing time of 7 AM PT the next day (with the exception of April 28, which closed May 1 at 7 AM PT.