Quick Recap & Today’s Final Jeopardy – April 10, 2017

Here’s today’s Final Jeopardy answer and question for Monday, April 10, 2017:

Final Jeopardy! category: AMERICAN AUTHORS

Final Jeopardy! clue/answer: Leviathan is a journal put out 3 times a year by an organization dedicated to this author & his works

Maren Beazer,, a homemaker from Erda, Utah
Greg Chin, a direct service provider from New York, New York
Pat Greiner, a radio copywriter & voice-over announcer from Casper, Wyoming (1-day total: $14,800)

If you haven’t seen it yet, you should check out our state-by-state map of where Season 33’s players have hailed from (best viewed on desktop or tablet).

Click/Tap Here for Correct Response/Question

Who is Herman Melville?

[collapse]

Looking to find out who won Jeopardy! tonight? Today’s Jeopardy! results will go up on this page late afternoon, with full stats early evening. They will be seen in the comments section at the bottom of this page.

The Leviathan journal, is published thrice yearly by Johns Hopkins University Press for the Melville Society.

Remember, you can also now get the following products (and others!) from our new store! Here are our top sellers; all prices are in US dollars!

(contestant photo credit: jeopardy.com)

(When commenting, please note that all comments on The Jeopardy! Fan must be in compliance with the Site Comment Policy.)

Become a Supporter now! Make a donation to the site on Patreon!

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

22 Comments on "Quick Recap & Today’s Final Jeopardy – April 10, 2017"

1. Scores going into Final:
    Greg $17,200
    Pat $7,700
    Maren $7,100

Final results:
    Maren $7,100 – $7,099 = $1 (Who is Twain?)
    Pat $7,700 + $6,501 = $14,201
    Greg $17,200 – $1,000 = $16,200 (Who is Thomas Hobbes?) (1-day total: $16,200)

Greg $5,200
    Pat $4,700
    Maren -$600

1) HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! $400 (22nd pick)
    Pat 3400 +1500 (Greg 4400 Maren -200)

2) SO “UGE” $1200 (10th pick)
    Pat 6300 -3000 (Greg 12800 Maren 1800)
    3) CLASSICAL MUSIC $1600 (17th pick)
    Maren 2600 +2500 (Greg 16400 Pat 4100)

J! round: None!
    DJ! round: LET’S VISIT DOMINICA $400 & $800
    $ Left on Board: $1200

Greg $17,200 Coryat, 24 correct, 5 incorrect, 52.73% in first on buzzer
    Pat $9,600 Coryat, 17 correct, 4 incorrect, 21.82% in first on buzzer
    Maren $6,200 Coryat, 9 correct, 3 incorrect, 20.00% in first on buzzer
    Coryat lost to incorrect responses (less double-correct responses): $10,600

Pat Greiner, final stats:
    35 correct
    7 incorrect
    1/3 on Daily Doubles (Net Earned: -$4,500)

Greg Chin, stats to date:
    24 correct
    6 incorrect

Greg Chin, to win:
    Avg. Total Winnings (including possible ToC): $51,065

ToC projection update:
    With a projected 89 regular-play games to go prior to the Tournament of Champions cutoff, after 250,000 simulations, our model shows:
    An average of 3.3253 5+-time champions (standard deviation 1.4173).
    An average of 5.1156 4+-time champions (standard deviation 1.7338).

An early cutoff took place 19.789% of the time (or a 5-game winner will be left out).

Greg Chin qualified 15.903% of the time.
    Tim Kutz qualified 53.665% of the time.
    Todd Giese qualified 16.299% of the time.
    Rob Liguori qualified 3.390% of the time.
    Fred Vaughn qualified 0.777% of the time.

(Note: Due to the possibility of a WGA strike, I feel that it is more accurate for ToC projections to add 20 games to the end of the previous projected qualifying period.)

2. Dal Higbee | April 10, 2017 at 5:20 pm |

2017 has got to be the worst ever year for FJ! leaders.

3. Dalton, I wouldn’t say that.

4. I noticed that Greg and Maren’s picture is shaped like a square and Pat’s like a circle. All the contestants pictures used to be circular.

• Yes. That was because I used an episode screengrab for Greg’s and Maren’s picture today, instead of the pictures I normally use (as they had yet to be published when this post went up.)

5. When are you next doing a jeopardy live Panel?

6. Don Spencer | April 10, 2017 at 10:47 pm |

Can the contestants see each other’s scores during the game? I ask because Pat had well more than 50% of Greg’s score before she selected the $2000 answer on the final play in Double Jeopardy and missed it, thereby falling below 50% of Greg’s score going into Final Jeopardy, assuring Greg’s victory. I literally screamed, “You idiot!” at the TV screen when Pat selected the $2000 answer (even before her incorrect response).

Pat had no chance to catch Greg at the end of Final Jeopardy with Greg’s commanding lead and little time left. If Pat could see the other players’ scores, in my mind, the smart play in that situation is to prevent the runaway by selecting a low-dollar answer. (It also would’ve prevented Maren from potentially catching Pat.) As it turned out, Pat cost herself the win with that fatal mistake. If she’d had more than 50% of Greg’s score going into Final Jeopardy, she could’ve bet enough to move ahead of Greg, and she would’ve won when Greg missed Final Jeopardy.

• They can; the scores are posted to the left of the game board about level with the top of the board. Some players monitor scores pretty closely, but most seem to focus on the game board except during pauses and wager considerations for DDs and FJs. There’s a lot going on with wondering what category and clue will come up, how much time is remaining, whether or not DDs are still on the board, what values of clues remain, an so on, that it may be hard to process the math for the last few clues — especially when you’re trying to read clues and listen to AT to finish reading and deciding whether or not to ring in. Plenty of mental processing going on.

7. Don Spencer | April 10, 2017 at 11:28 pm |

Yeah, I guess I shouldn’t be so hard on the players. It is a lot to keep track of, and I’m sure I’d have trouble thinking through all the possibilities in real time.

8. john blahuta | April 10, 2017 at 11:47 pm |

Kind of surprised only one player got it right, it sounded to me like a given : Levithian-Moby Dick-Melville….
    One small mistake though: the 500th anniversary of the Protestant reformation is 2017. If they started celebrating 2016, they started a year too early.
    And I have not seen the show yet. I wonder if the category DOMINICA will be stressed correctly, which would be stressing it on the THIRD syllable from the french DOMINIQUE = of the Lord…I shall see. But I have to agree in one area: not many repeat champions the last few weeks, mostly one or maximum 2 day champs. I guess the players who are on the lower part of the current ToC list are rather happy about that ??!!

9. Thanks for adding the Triple Stumper stat, Andy. I had to Google the Lach Trash part.

10. Don Spencer | April 11, 2017 at 11:24 am |

I gave the same wrong answer that Greg did – Thomas Hobbes wrote “Leviathan.” I’m almost ashamed to say that I’ve never read “Moby Dick,” so I didn’t know that there was a Leviathan reference in it.

11. Don Spencer | April 11, 2017 at 12:25 pm |

Oops – well, there you go. I completely forgot about the category being American Authors when I said “Hobbes.” And here I was, criticizing the players for their shortcomings. (Sigh.)

12. I need to know a question for the answer “redemption “. I believe it was given this week or last.

13. I believe I have discovered that I know Pat Greiner, as I was her Art teacher at Donegal High School in Mount Joy, PA. I was cheering for her and then thought it would be fun to pass on a Hello to her. She was a brilliant student and we both were rabid fans of Kate Hepburn. Plese, if possible, send on a big Hello from her old art teacher. She was wonderful!