Today’s Final Jeopardy – June 14, 2017

Here’s today’s Final Jeopardy (in the category Books & Authors) for Wednesday, June 14, 2017:

His first novel, from 1920, incorporated some of his pieces from the Nassau, a Princeton literary magazine

Phil Ricciardi, a management consultant from North Wales, Pennsylvania
Phil Ricciardi on Jeopardy!
Becca Arm, a library worker from Herndon, Virginia
Becca Arm on Jeopardy!
Tucker Dunn, an E.S.L. teacher from Tucson, Arizona (3-day total: $39,999)
Tucker Dunn on Jeopardy!

If you haven’t seen it yet, you should check out our state-by-state map of where Season 33’s players have hailed from (best viewed on desktop or tablet).

Have you had the chance to check out our 2017 Tournament of Champions Tracker? It now contains a graphic of the day-by-day changes in the qualification chances of the players on the bubble!

Click/Tap Here for Final Jeopardy! Correct Response/Question

Who is F. Scott Fitzgerald?

[collapse]

Looking to find out who won Jeopardy! tonight? Today’s Jeopardy! results and will go up on this page late afternoon, with full stats early to late evening. They will be seen in the comments section at the bottom of this page.

This Side of Paradise, F. Scott Fitzgerald’s debut novel, incorporated many of his Nassau Lit works, including “The Spire and the Gargoyle”, “The Debutante”, “Babes in the Woods”, “Princeton—The Last Day,” and “On a Play Twice Seen.” Its immmense success in 1920 allowed Fitzgerald to resume his engagement with Zelda Sayre.

If you’ve ever been curious about how much the average contestant wins on Jeopardy!, I recently did the math to find out, looking at data dating back to October 2004!

Remember, you can also now get the following products (and others!) from our new store! Here are our top sellers; all prices are in US dollars!

(contestant photo credit: jeopardy.com)

(When commenting, please note that all comments on The Jeopardy! Fan must be in compliance with the Site Comment Policy.)

Become a Supporter now! Make a donation to the site on Patreon!

31 Comments on "Today’s Final Jeopardy – June 14, 2017"

1. Scores going into Final:
    Becca $22,200
    Phil $16,900
    Tucker $5,200

Final results:
    Tucker $5,200 – $311 = $4,889 (Who is Arnold Toynbee?)
    Phil $16,900 + $16,500 = $33,400 (1-day total: $33,400)
    Becca $$22,200 + $5,300 = $27,500

Becca $9,000
    Phil $6,200
    Tucker $3,200

1) THE ARMED FORCES $1000 (29th pick)
    Becca 7000 +2000 (Phil 6200 Tucker 3000)

2) BIBLICAL PAIRS $800 (7th pick)
    Phil 9800 -2500 (Becca 8600 Tucker 4800)
    3) SCIENCE $1200 (28th pick, $3600 left on board)
    Becca 18200 +2000 (Phil 16900 Tucker 5200)

Unplayed clues: None!

Phil $19,400 Coryat, 20 correct, 2 incorrect, 33.33% in first on buzzer
    Becca $20,400 Coryat, 24 correct, 1 incorrect, 38.60% in first on buzzer
    Tucker $5,200 Coryat, 12 correct, 2 incorrect, 22.81% in first on buzzer
    Coryat lost to incorrect responses (less double-correct responses): $4,600

Tucker Dunn, final stats:
    59 correct
    12 incorrect

Phil Ricciardi, stats to date:
    21 correct
    2 incorrect
    0/1 on Daily Doubles (Net Earned: -$2,500)

Phil Ricciardi, to win:

With a projected 52 regular-play games to go prior to the Tournament of Champions cutoff, after 250,000 simulations, our model shows:
    An average of 1.9075 5+-time champions (standard deviation 1.0679).
    An average of 2.9486 4+-time champions (standard deviation 1.2894).

An early cutoff took place 6.873% of the time (or a 5-game winner will be left out).

Phil Ricciardi qualified 24.334% of the time.
    Tim Kutz qualified 59.444% of the time.
    Todd Giese qualified 19.156% of the time.
    Rob Liguori qualified 3.204% of the time.

Miscellany:

• Clue of the Day contained a particularly egregious typographical error today, one that completely changes the correct response.
    • A.C. Thomas | June 14, 2017 at 4:37 pm |

I wondered whether this was a typo. That dangling “his” seemed very un-Jeopardy-like.

2. Dal Higbee | June 14, 2017 at 4:29 pm |

Becca Arm looks like Lisa Schlitt.

3. john blahuta | June 14, 2017 at 4:52 pm |

can somebody pleas explain Becca’s bet to me? Had she been wrong, and Phil had been wrong but wagered nothing we would have had a tie. So 5.299 from Becca I could still understand somehow. But 5.300 ???? If she was playing not to lose, figuring Phil would be wrong, then why wager anything.
    And btw, the clue was very awkwardly written. You could make a point for ” are they asking for the novel” as well as for “are they asking for the writer”……

• john blahuta | June 14, 2017 at 5:28 pm |

Never mind my remark about the clue. I red it as “This”…. instead of “HIS”…..my bad.

• You wouldn’t be the only one today to make that mistake, John.

• With you there, Andy! The CotD definitely had “THIS” but it turned out to be “HIS” on the show. Knew the author was Fitzgerald, but had no clue as to what his first novel was. I’m taking credit for a right answer, since I knew it when the show aired, and I don’t care what the judges think.

4. I don’t understand becca’s bet either – she seems too smart, calm and rational to wimp out on the big one.

• Keep in mind that she just watched the Monday and Tuesday games, where 5 of 6 people didn’t know the answer (and maybe she didn’t either), and Liz lost from first place to another person who didn’t know the answer either. I’m guessing she was thinking Phil was going to bet next to nothing and hope she got it wrong (which makes it odd that she didn’t bet $1 less).

5. Wow I feel like due to Keith Williams retiring we have had all these bad wagers. Keith come back man once you come back we will have good wagering strategies again

6. Ray Baker | June 14, 2017 at 7:47 pm |

Biblical pairs clue, answer was NOT Joseph and Mary. Luke 2:10 was to the shepherds.

7. Am I the only one who is saying, “huh” about the Bible pairs? In Luke 2, when the angels announced ‘For behold I bring you tidings of great joy’ they were speaking to the SHEPHERDS, not to Mary and Joseph. I mean, ‘and this shall be a sign unto you, you will find the baby wrapped in swaddling clothes’ etc would have been pretty stupid to say to the baby’s Mother and foster father. They kind of already knew, didn’t they? I think whoever came up with the clue didn’t do the best research job. . .

8. Bill Dealy | June 14, 2017 at 8:00 pm |

The answer today regarding who the angel was talking to when he said…fear not for I bring you tidings and great news…was not Joseph and Mary but the shepards in the field!

9. Rose Jones | June 14, 2017 at 8:04 pm |

Why did Becca wager what she wagered? It doesn’t make sense? Did she not want to win?

10. Anyone notice the error in the pairs category? The angel didn’t say “fear not. I bring tidings of joy” to Mary and Joseph. It was said to the shepherds.

11. Ya…I thought it was strange Becca didn’t wager $5299….what was she thinking?

• I myself thought it was strange that she didn’t bet $11,601. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Harris Stutman | June 14, 2017 at 11:45 pm |

Completely agree. Maybe it’s just the “chagrin factor” but you just can’t, can’t win thru DJ, AND get FJ right, and lose. I know it’s possible that you lose if the 2nd place contestant bets little and you both get it wrong but you can live with that – you just should’ve gotten FJ right! But to get it right and still lose, wow!

• freddie leonard | June 18, 2017 at 6:21 pm |

If I was a contestant, I’d rather lose finishing in the red going into final than the way Becca did. Congratulations on your 3 wins from last season, Harris!

12. Michael Salvino | June 14, 2017 at 8:18 pm |

In Biblical Pairs – I’m not sure the angel said “I bring you tidings of great joy” to Joseph and Mary. I believe it was announced to the shepherds.?

13. Becca looked like Amy Farrah Fowler to me and my folks! Wish she had bet it all. That would’ve been an epic first day total.

14. Can anyone list the books in category ‘Children’s Books’ I got one, Harold and the Purple.., but would love the names of the others

15. Ken Matlusky | June 14, 2017 at 10:44 pm |

Becca looked like a 20-game champion going into Final Jeopardy.

• freddie leonard | June 15, 2017 at 7:29 am |

For sure but ended up as a 1 game runner up.

• Dal Higbee | June 30, 2017 at 8:17 pm |

If this were a tournament quarterfinal game, she would have definitely already gotten a wild card to the semis and could have won the Tournament of Champions.

16. In the Final’s explanation, why is the punctuation placed outside the quotation marks in the first three cited “works” but inside them on the last two? Nailed a Final at last. I was starting to feel suicidal…

17. Karen Kullman | June 15, 2017 at 1:21 am |

Same comment several others have already noted, in the Biblical pairs category. Don’t understand how the writers made such a glaring error in the question that had the response of Mary and joseph. I couldn’t even concentrate on the rest of the game, wondering how they got that so wrong!

18. But Keith disappeared after December 2016 without any announcements and never came back.