Today’s Final Jeopardy – July 19, 2017

Here’s today’s Final Jeopardy (in the category Historic Events) for Wednesday, July 19, 2017:

In June 1986 a bakers union expressed regret for a disaster in this European city 320 years before

Keith Fudge, a policy analyst from Washington, D.C.
Keith Fudge on Jeopardy!
Nancy Bauer, a market research director from Oak Park, Illinois
Nancy Bauer on Jeopardy!
Deborah Elliott, an educator from Cleveland, Ohio (2-day total: $56,600)
Deborah Elliott on Jeopardy!

If you haven’t seen it yet, you should check out our state-by-state map of where Season 33’s players have hailed from (best viewed on desktop or tablet).

Have you had the chance to see our 2017 Tournament of Champions Tracker? It now contains a graphic of the day-by-day changes in the qualification chances of the players on the bubble!

Click/Tap Here for Final Jeopardy! Correct Response/Question

What is London?

[collapse]

Looking to find out who won Jeopardy! tonight? Today’s Jeopardy! results and will go up on this page late afternoon, with full stats early to late evening. They will be seen in the comments section at the bottom of this page.

September 1666’s Great Fire of London began in the shop of Thomas Faryner, the king’s baker. It was said that he failed to douse his oven before going to sleep on September 1, 1666. Though there were no fatalities, over 13,000 homes were destroyed in a 450-acre area.

The Worshipful Company of Bakers used 1986 as its opportunity to officially apologize as a way of marking the 500th anniversary of receiving its guild charter by King Henry VII.

Become a Supporter now! Make a donation to the site on Patreon!

Remember, you can also now get the following products (and others!) from our new store! Here are our top sellers; all prices are in US dollars!

(contestant photo credit: jeopardy.com)

(When commenting, please note that all comments on The Jeopardy! Fan must be in compliance with the Site Comment Policy.)

Have you had a chance to listen to our new podcast game show, “Complete The List”, yet? Check it out! (Also available on iTunes).

33 Comments on "Today’s Final Jeopardy – July 19, 2017"

1. Scores going into Final:
    Deborah $13,800
    Nancy $10,800
    Keith $8,400

Final results:
    Keith $8,400 – $2,399 = $6,001 (What is ?)
    Nancy $10,800 – $7,801 = $2,999 (What is Paris?)
    Deborah $13,800 + $6,000 = $19,800 (3-day total: $76,400)

Nancy $6,400
    Deborah $5,400
    Keith $400

1) AROUND THE WORLD $1000 (20th pick)
    Deborah 5000 -1000 (Nancy 4800 Keith 200)

2) LITERARY THREESOMES $1600 (4th pick)
    Deborah 6600 +2000 (Nancy 7600 Keith 400)
    3) NATIVE AMERICANS $800 (23rd pick)
    Nancy 14800 -2000 (Deborah 10600 Keith 6400)
    Overall Daily Double Efficiency for this game: -3

Unplayed clues: None!

Deborah $14,400 Coryat, 21 correct, 3 incorrect, 35.09% in first on buzzer
    Nancy $12,800 Coryat, 18 correct, 2 incorrect, 31.58% in first on buzzer
    Keith $8,400 Coryat, 13 correct, 2 incorrect, 24.56% in first on buzzer
    Coryat lost to incorrect responses (less double-correct responses): $8,600

Deborah Elliott, stats to date:
    62 correct
    7 incorrect

Deborah Elliott, to win:

With a projected 27 regular-play games to go prior to the Tournament of Champions cutoff, after 250,000 simulations, our model shows:
    An average of 1.0411 5+-time champions (standard deviation 0.80173).
    An average of 1.7776 4+-time champions (standard deviation 0.96217).

An early cutoff took place 3.642% of the time (or a 5-game winner will be left out).

Deborah Elliott qualified 34.859% of the time.
    Tim Kutz qualified 59.836% of the time.
    Todd Giese qualified 11.970% of the time.

2. john blahuta | July 19, 2017 at 10:20 am |

if they can do the math in their head it should be easy the 1666 London fire is pretty “in”famous, even in the U.S…… the “funny” thing is that the bakery was located in a street/lane that was called “Pudding Lane”!

3. John, John, John,

If I say any more, it will probably be deleted by Andy…

4. With John, John, John, it is always a trying day, except when he doesn’t comment at all…

• john blahuta | July 19, 2017 at 7:17 pm |

Thanks for the compliment, Kay!
      Still, another strange day in terms of FJ wagers. If anyone should have (conventionally) bet 7.801 it should have been Deborah.She risked losing the game had Nancy bet higher and been wrong.
      I would appreciate it if you could tell me what is trying in my comments and why in your opinion I should not comment at all?? I don’t mind if you give me a straight answer, and Andy, you don’t have to delete her answer (I presume “Kay” is a she), even if it contains an insult. I don’t mind, I am just curious about that statement without giving a reason.
      But if she has a VALID reason then I shall refrain from future comments.
      Aloha from Maui and have a great day everyone!

And as a PS: 1- plus triple 6 (a bad #, often associated with witches, sorcerers etc, “The number of the Beast”) was just a hint at how to remember the year. Sorry that 1-666 seemed to be a “special” number for me with which to play around.
      And as a second PS: if you somehow criticize my comments, PLEASE tell me WHY.

• I’m with ya John. Just based on her wagering, Deborah is one of the luckiest 3 day champions ever. She’s a very knowledgeable lady, and obviously a good reader. But her FJ wagers leave me scratching my head too!

• john blahuta | July 19, 2017 at 7:45 pm |

I meant “being right” of course, sorry!’
        If you think Andy might delete your comment to me, just write directly to me. It’s [email protected], Also a little play.. johnBeingInTheMiddleOfNowhere, since I live in the middle of the Pacific.

5. John.
    I have trouble wading through your long answers. My answers will always be short. How is Pudding Street directly related to related to the baker’s union? I also have trouble with your capitalism. punctuation, grammar. I make plenty of typos, maybe in this message. Stay with us, John!… I think this great website got a kick in the butt when you started commenting.

“Aloha” from Ohio. I am slightly jealous of your Hawaii location, although at 66 and broken down, my husband and I don’t take long vacations anymore.

Good night to John and everyone else!

• john blahuta | July 19, 2017 at 8:15 pm |

OK, let me just tell you that English is not my native language, therefore I sometimes use words that may not be 100% perfect. Sorry for that. My native language is Austrian, then English and French. I also have a pretty good idea about Spanish Italian and yes, Latin. In Europe they start Latin mandatory (at least in Austria) in third grade and that helps with any romance language.
      So I hope that explains why I am not always PERFECT. But then NOBODY is. I’ll be happy to talk to you in Austrian/German or French as well. Hopefully you can forgive me making mistakes now and then. I still know a lot of Americans whose English is worse than mine.
      Have a great day!
      John

PS
      Some historians contend that the London fire started in a bakery located in “Pudding Street”. Sorry that I found that somehow funny, or maybe “strange” might be a better word.

J.

6. Christopher Denault | July 19, 2017 at 8:07 pm |

This has been the kind of week where Keith Williams’ head would have exploded. Deborah’s been VERY lucky with FJ so far, as her wagers are absolutely perplexing, to say it mildly. She’s racked up a great 3-day total, but she’s living on borrowed time with this betting “strategy”.

• john blahuta | July 19, 2017 at 8:23 pm |

Couldn’t agree more.

• freddie leonard | July 19, 2017 at 8:26 pm |

Now, she’ll straighten up her wagering and break Ken Jennings’ record lol.

• john blahuta | July 19, 2017 at 8:38 pm |

THAT will be the day!! I think Ken’s record is going to survive the show and all of us….:)

• Speaking of Ken Jennings, during his 73 game run (was it 73?), I would be very surprised to learn if he ever left himself vulnerable in FJ with his wagering. I know many of his victories were runaways, but certainly not all of them. In those instances, if he didn’t take on all comers, plus a dollar, every single time, I’d be shocked. I watched all of his shows along with everybody else, and I don’t recall him ever wagering less than what was needed to guarantee the win with a correct response. Anyone?

• freddie leonard | July 19, 2017 at 10:53 pm |

Out of his 75 games, Ken had an astounding 65 runaways. He was rarely in a position where he had to wager but I’m sure he wagered accordingly in the 10 non-runaway games including the one he eventually lost.

• Thanks! Wow, 65 runaways! I wonder if he ever entered FJ without the lead. Probably not, right?

• That is indeed correct. Ken entered FJ with the lead in all 75 of his games, and in each of his 10 non-locks, he bet to cover second place. He was 8/10 in Final in those non-locks. One of the two misses was, of course, his loss to Nancy Zerg.

The other? His fifth game. If Paula Filson gets “Crete” on that clue, Ken departs as a 4 day, $126,201 champion – highly likely, but not quite certain to reach the next ToC. That’s how fine the line can be between make or break on this show.

• Great, thanks for the details. I knew one of you guys (or gals!) would know this stuff. I love this site!

7. I knew He’d get it because He’s European. It’s easy if you’re European…

• john blahuta | July 20, 2017 at 1:56 am |

Though European I was not around in 1666. Besides what’s wrong with Americans knowing European history? Most know when D-day was in Normandy or when the battle of Waterloo was etc….

8. Quick question about the daily double tonight. Christmas Carol asking for the third ghost to visit Scrooge. Debra answered the ghost of Christmas future. Wasn’t that the fourth ghost? Marley’s ghost, Christmas past, Christmas present and Christmas future? Thank you for your knowledge and help! I appreciate your site! Maybe I didn’t understand the question properly.

• john blahuta | July 20, 2017 at 1:36 am |

Marley came as Marley’s ghost. There were only 3 “Christmas” ghosts, the third being “Christmas future” or “Christmas yet to come”. So that WAS the fourth ghost but the third Christmas ghost.

• I went back and read Dickens’ text on Project Gutenberg, and I think that the show is fortunate that Deborah managed to respond with the show’s intended correct response.

9. Don Spencer | July 20, 2017 at 11:04 am |

(Ignoring Nancy for a moment …) Interestingly (to me, at least), Keith made the proper bet based on the expectation that Deborah would bet the correct amount to guarantee a tie/win with a correct answer. If Deborah had in fact made the $7,800/$7,801 bet and been wrong, she would’ve ended up with $6,000/$5,999, meaning Keith wins by $1/$2. Because Deborah didn’t bet enough to guarantee a tie/win with a correct answer, it would’ve foiled Keith’s “proper” bet because a wrong answer still would’ve left her ahead of Keith’s final total.

10. Lenny Prussack | July 20, 2017 at 12:58 pm |

Was there a i’m with the band category last night?

11. Just a little pet peeve of mine, but does anybody else out there find it a tad annoying when Alex gives the contestant the short, staccato “oh no!” when they give certain incorrect responses? He did it today when Deborah identified a picture of Marlene Dietrich as Rita Hayworth. It seems to be his little way of saying “I can’t believe you said that!” I love Alex, but just wondering if anyone else has ever noticed this.

• well, if Alex Trebek had a wheelhouse category, it would be classic film.

• Perhaps, but he does it with a variety of categories. Oh well, I guess that’s why it’s called a pet peeve. The minor annoyance is confined to just me apparently.

12. Mark Fraleigh | July 20, 2017 at 7:56 pm |

I too noted that the answer or rather question re: third ghost to visit scrooge should have indeed been Who/what was the ghost of Christmas present. Jacob Marley’s ghost came to Scrooge earlier the same day. Contrary to John.s assertion that it had to be specifically a “Christmas” Ghost, the answer did not specify “Christmas Ghosts” only the third Ghost to visit Scrooge.I know that if someone had answered The Ghost Of Christmas present, and been deemed to have answered wrongly, I am certain that they would have “won” their appeal, but to no avail.

• It’s certainly all speculative, as Deborah gave the intended response. And how do you know that “to no avail”? People have been brought back in the past due to poorly-worded Daily Doubles (case in point: Bob Mesko in 2006.)