Today’s Final Jeopardy – April 18, 2018

Here’s today’s Final Jeopardy (in the category The Latin Vulgate Bible) for Wednesday, April 18, 2018 (Season 34, Episode 158):

In Latin Jesus says, I am “via et veritas et vita”–in English, these 3 words

Alli Ross, a sophomore at Worcester Polytechnic Institute from Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
Alli Ross on Jeopardy!
Rishab Jain, a freshman at Georgia Tech from Memphis, Tennessee
Rishab Jain on Jeopardy!
Dhruv Gaur, a freshman at Brown University from Gainesville, Georgia
Dhruv Gaur on Jeopardy!

Correct response: What is (the) way, (the) truth, and (the) life?

Did you know that you can now find game-by-game stats of everyone, including Austin Rogers, who has won 10 or more games on Jeopardy!, here on the site?

Taken from John 14:6 of the New Testament, those words were spoken by Jesus in reference to himself, as part of his Farewell Discourse during the Last Supper.

There’s always something new coming into The Jeopardy! Fan Online Store, including something perfect for Philadelphia football fans and Villanova basketball fans! Here are our top-selling items!

Alli $16,800
Dhruv $13,400
Rishab $12,000

Rishab $12,000 – $5,000 = $7,000 (What is living in truth?)
Dhruv $13,400 + $6,600 = $20,000 (Finalist) (What are way, truth, life?)
Alli $16,800 – $10,001 = $6,799 (What is road to truth?)

Dhruv Gaur, today's Jeopardy winner (for the April 18, 2018 game.)

Alli $7,200
Dhruv $5,400
Rishab $3,200

1) CLASSIC KIDS’ BOOKS $400 (4th pick)
Dhruv 1000 +1000 (Alli 1400 Rishab 0)
2) BARBARIANS AT THE GATES $1200 (11th pick)
Dhruv 8200 +4000 (Alli 8800 Rishab 6000)
3) “R” TOWN $800 (20th pick)
Rishab 5200 +5200 (Alli 14000 Dhruv 9400)

J! round: None!
Total $ Left On Board: $0

Dhruv $10,000 Coryat, 18 correct, 3 incorrect, 29.82% in first on buzzer
Rishab $7,600 Coryat, 14 correct, 1 incorrect, 21.05% in first on buzzer
Alli $16,800 Coryat, 19 correct, 2 incorrect, 36.84% in first on buzzer
Coryat lost to incorrect responses (less double-correct responses): $6,400

Dhruv Gaur, stats to date:

Rishab Jain, final stats:

Alli Ross, final stats:

If you are going to quote any statistics from this page or this website, attribution is required.

Have you had a chance to listen to our new podcast game show, Complete The List, yet? Check it out! It’s also available on Apple Podcasts.

19 Comments on "Today’s Final Jeopardy – April 18, 2018"

1. Scott William | April 18, 2018 at 10:20 am |

Even for those without biblical knowledge, another possible path to a correct response is knowing that many Universities (such as Harvard) contain the word “Veritas” in their motto, which means “Truth”.

I love Final Jeopardy clues which feature multiple paths to success. The fact that one of the paths has a connection with higher education, during the College Championship, is even more clever. The Jeopardy clue design team did an outstanding job putting together today’s Final Jeopardy.

• Or you know Latin

• Scott William | April 18, 2018 at 1:25 pm |

Well, it appears that the Ivy League student was the only one to get the question right. In the Ivy League, both Harvard and Yale (although not Brown) have “Veritas” in their school mottos.

And you are correct, good knowledge of Latin is another path to success, regardless of the other details in the clue.

2. john blahuta | April 18, 2018 at 1:54 pm |

This was the most BASIC Latin, and you have examples in Latin and Italian as well as French, e.g:
    VIA APPIA (most famous road out of Rome to the south)
    IN VINO VERITAS (isn’t that the truth….pun intended)
    LA DOLCE VITA (film)

Alli had to cover against Dhruv (and was wrong), Dhruv and Rishab were not too confident judging by their bets.
    Rishab missed VIA and Alli missed VITA.
    So classical education again takes a back seat. Needless to say I am rooting for Dhruv to win it all.

• Scott William | April 18, 2018 at 3:24 pm |

Dhruv Gaur is a track athlete, as am I. So I am rooting for him for that reason as well.

3. Maurine Gutowski | April 18, 2018 at 3:22 pm |

I knew the answer immediately because I had three years of Latin in high school, and also had a Latin-English prayer book for use in church. My husband, a high school history teacher, also taught (Classical) Latin every morning before the regular classes started. We still sing beautiful Latin songs in our choir (though most have never studied Latin, so they learn how to pronounce the words in church Latin, which is the ancestor of the Romance languages that developed as the Roman Empire spread.

4. Why did Alex make the disclaimer about when game clues/categories before Final Jeopardy?

• On Reddit, one of the contestants said it was because two of the players were Indian-American, and thus, it might be thought that they would have less knowledge about the Bible.

• Scott William | April 19, 2018 at 4:14 am |

Andy, have you found reddit to be worth using? I certain have NOT. I have been avoiding it for a while, after finding their user base to be a cesspool of frequent cruelty, racism, and sadistic behavior. Reasonable respectful behavior was comparatively rare, in my past experience.

5. I feel like though it wasn’t hard, per se, it was a bit tricky. I mean, I got ‘veritas’ as truth, and then I thought of “the way, the truth and the life” but thought, well, that’s more than 3 words. Haha. Makes sense though.

6. I asked the same question about the disclaimer and now I think I might know. I don’t think they’d risk implying that their ethnic background would make them unfamiliar. I’m leaning toward the fact that the mottos of their colleges contained 2 out of 3 of the answers (questions).

7. Are the players who compete in the Jeopardy College Championship allowed to return as future contestants in regular Jeopardy?

8. I thought the Final was poorly worded and open to interpretation. Were they looking for a three-word phrase or three separate words? Like the two unfortunates who got it wrong, I was lead to think of a phrase that would flow from “I am.” “I am way, light, truth” is syntactically ugly and sounds like caveman talk. Kudos to the guy who figured out what they wanted. If that were a test question I got wrong in college, I would appeal to my professor to throw out that garbage…

9. Vince Riley | April 19, 2018 at 5:04 pm |

I agree with John, it was basic Latin, and Latin words or phrases often used in English conversation include “via air mail”, “in vino veritas” (to remind us that people who have drunk a lot of alcohol are often given to blurting out the truth), and “vita” is a short form for “curriculum vitae”–your resume, the content of your life

10. Bob Bergstrom | April 19, 2018 at 9:57 pm |

My memory may be wrong, but I thought the Latin phrase was “via et veritas et vita.” I had three years of Latin in high school. This show usually is very demanding about pronunciation, spelling and including all the words. The answer given included the nouns but not the conjunctions, but the contestant was given credit. Why?

Bob

• The clue is above. It clearly says “these three words”. That was a signal from the show that the conjunctions were not required.

That would be why the contestant was given credit.

11. Bob Bergstrom | April 19, 2018 at 10:44 pm |

I agree with Grumpy. The wording is confusing. Which three words?