Today’s Final Jeopardy – April 2, 2018

Here’s today’s Final Jeopardy (in the category U.S. Government) for Monday, April 2, 2018 (Season 34, Episode 146):

The portrait here hangs in the building of this Cabinet department & depicts a man who once ran it

A portrait of Robert F. Kennedy, as used in Final Jeopardy on April 2, 2018.

Daniel Carden, a newspaper reporter from Indianapolis, Indiana
Daniel Carden on Jeopardy!
Elizabeth Johnson, a communications & marketing manager from Lansing, Michigan
Elizabeth Johnson on Jeopardy!
Emily Milan, a nanny from Birmingham, Michigan (3-day total: $45,001)
Emily Milan on Jeopardy!

With 3 wins, Emily has found her way onto our ToC Tracker!

Correct response: What is the Department of Justice?

Did you know that you can now find game-by-game stats of everyone, including Austin Rogers, who has won 10 or more games on Jeopardy!, here on the site?

The portrait is of Robert F. Kennedy, who served as United States Attorney General from January 20, 1961 to September 3, 1964.

Of course, the clue “Cairo is in mourning, Oct. 6, 1981, with the news of this man’s assassination earlier today” (with the correct response of “Who is Anwar Sadat?”), under the category “Our Historical News Correspondent”, appeared as a clue in the Double Jeopardy round.

There’s always something new coming into The Jeopardy! Fan Online Store, including something perfect for Philadelphia football fans! Here are our top-selling items!

Emily $16,200
Elizabeth $15,200
Daniel $12,800

Daniel $12,800 + $12,800 = $25,600 (1-day total: $25,600)
Elizabeth $15,200 – $10,500 = $4,700 (What is ?)
Emily $16,200 – $14,201 = $1,999 (What is the State dept?)

Daniel Carden, today's Jeopardy! winner (for the April 2, 2018 game.)

Daniel $5,800
Emily $5,400
Elizabeth $3,800

1) ON A NORDIC TRACK $1000 (30th pick)
Daniel 4600 +1200 (Emily 5400 Elizabeth 3800)
2) SO “SOO” ME $1600 (4th pick)
Daniel 7000 +3000 (Emily 5400 Elizabeth 5000)
3) OUR HISTORICAL NEWS CORRESPONDENT $800 (10th pick)
Elizabeth 5400 +5400 (Daniel 11200 Emily 8600)

J! round: None!
DJ! Round: NEVER FORGET AN ELEPHANT $400 & $800
Total $ Left On Board: $1,200

Daniel $11,200 Coryat, 13 correct, 2 incorrect, 21.82% in first on buzzer
Elizabeth $10,600 Coryat, 15 correct, 1 incorrect, 25.45% in first on buzzer
Emily $16,200 Coryat, 22 correct, 2 incorrect, 38.18% in first on buzzer
Coryat lost to incorrect responses (less double-correct responses): $4,000

Emily Milan, stats to date:
1/2 on Daily Doubles (Net Earned: $-1,000)

Daniel Carden, stats to date:

Daniel Carden, to win:

If you are going to quote any statistics from this page or this website, attribution is required.

Have you had a chance to listen to our new podcast game show, Complete The List, yet? Check it out! It’s also available on Apple Podcasts.

14 Comments on "Today’s Final Jeopardy – April 2, 2018"

1. tough break for Emily she was getting better each game.

2. john blahuta | April 2, 2018 at 3:38 pm | Reply

1 correct? You gotta be kidding me. Yes, it happened almost 50 years ago. But still…..

• Even if you recognized Bobby Kennedy in the picture, you’d also have to know he was the Attorney General. Maybe being a news reporter was the key advantage for Daniel over the other two. It certainly wasn’t age…all three contestants look quite young.

• The Kennedys are, well, particularly recognizable, at least to me. My reaction when I saw the picture was, “That is a Kennedy, right?” From there I got to the Justice Dept., but often those two-step clues trip people up.

• john blahuta | April 2, 2018 at 7:35 pm | Reply

Yes, unfortunately. Since I was about 15 when JFK and 20 when RFK were assassinated, it was a gimme for me, since I also knew that Bobby was not only the AG but also a very close advisor and friend to his brother. And right know (at least in Hawaii) there is a CNN series about the Kennedy dynasty.But the show was taped probably some 2 months ago or so.

• john blahuta | April 2, 2018 at 7:40 pm | Reply

If you were already at least a teenager at the time, you would remember that Bobby was the AG until he resigned in 1968 to run for President.One would think they teach that in history. The Kennedys were after all a big part of it.

• Not quite. He was AG until Sept 1964 when he resigned to run for a US Senate Seat from NY. I didn’t realize there was quite an effort to draft him to run as VP with LBJ in 1964, but apparently the two were not close (to put it mildly).

It’s sad to think that we’re coming up on the 50th anniversary of his assassination (in early June). It makes you wonder how different the 1970s would have been if he had not been killed.

• Murphy's Law | April 3, 2018 at 5:25 pm | Reply

When I was in school, they spent so much time on the first 50 years of the US that almost everything after the Civil War was rushed.

3. Richard Rolwing | April 2, 2018 at 10:16 pm | Reply

I think “everybody” knows that RFK was in his brother’s cabinet in some capacity–I am 59 and I my first immediate thought was actually whether he was Secretary of State…I think the concept that the Attorney General “runs” the department of Justice might have been a little bit of a stumbling block, just from the aspect that the title doesn’t match up exactly with the department name, like it does with State Dept. and Secretary of State–Eventually remembering how RFK was so instrumental in going after Hoffa and the Teamsters reminded me of his activity as a “prosecutor” and brought it home that he was AG (I think I would have gotten all this ratiocination done before the music had ended…)

4. I knew it was Bobby and I knew he was AG but I didn’t know what dept that was

🇨🇦

5. The thing I was most impressed by was the use of the word “ratiocination” by one of the commenters,,,

• Richard Rolwing | April 5, 2018 at 12:50 am | Reply

Ah, well, it just seemed to be the right word for the occasion…:) (All credit goes to an old college professor of mine who was fond of using it and thus demonstrated to me that it was a word fit for public consumption…)

6. Small error on the show: “3 Z’s go into this word for energetic sparkle some people have”. The correct response, given on the show, was “pizazz”. But if you had closed captioning on, you saw them misspell it “pizzazz”, violating the clue…