Here’s today’s Final Jeopardy (in the category Literary Adaptations) for Friday, April 12, 2019 (Season 35, Episode 155):
The director of the 2018 TV version of this 1953 classic said yes, books were harmed in the making of this motion picture
(correct response beneath the contestants)
|Mike Dindoffer, a writer & teacher from Greenfield, Massachusetts
|Ali Filipowicz, a homemaker from Alexandria, Virginia
|James Holzhauer, a professional sports gambler from Las Vegas, Nevada (6-day total: $325,877)
Did you take any of the online tests this week? You can find this week’s questions and answers here!
Are you going on the show and looking for information about how to bet in Final Jeopardy? Check out my new Betting Strategy 101 page!
(Content continues below)
Correct response: What is Fahrenheit 451?
More information about Final Jeopardy:
The premise of Ray Bradbury’s dystopian novel Fahrenheit 451 is that of a future American society where books are outlawed and “firemen” are directed ot burn them. (The book is so named because book paper catches fire at 451 degrees Fahrenheit). Guy Montag, the protagonist, eventually begins reading the books that he has been assigned to burn.
Ramin Bahrani directed the 2018 HBO adaptation, which starred Michael B. Jordan as Montag.
Since Alex Trebek’s diagnosis of stage 4 pancreatic cancer, many community members have been raising money. The Jeopardy! Fan Online Store is as well! All proceeds from any “Keep The Faith And We’ll Win” shirt sold will be donated to Alex Trebek’s preferred charity. (The de facto alumni association is currently inquiring with the show in order to determine Alex Trebek’s preferred charity; this will be updated when that has been determined. To date, over $240 has been raised.)
Looking to find out who won Jeopardy! today? Tonight’s results are below!
Scores going into Final:
Mike $7,400 – $300 = $7,100 (What is Burn After Reading Hi Mom!)
Ali $13,200 + $1,601 = $14,801
James $58,148 + $31,010 = $89,158 (7-day total: $415,035) (What is Fahrenheit 451 Happy Bday Scarlett <3)
Scores after the Jeopardy! Round:
Opening break taken after: 15 clues
Daily Double locations:
1) CITY ADJECTIVES $400 (20th pick)
James 10400 +9812 (Ali 3200 Mike 1200)
2) MOOLAH $1600 (8th pick)
James 29212 +11914 (Ali 5200 Mike 3800)
3) COLOMBIA PICTURES $2000 (11th pick)
James 42726 +11022 (Ali 6400 Mike 3800)
Overall Daily Double Efficiency for this game: 161
J! round: None!
DJ! Round: None!
Total $ Left On Board: $0
James $29,400 Coryat, 32 correct, 0 incorrect, 47.37% in first on buzzer, 2/2 on rebound attempts
Ali $13,200 Coryat, 16 correct, 0 incorrect, 26.32% in first on buzzer, 1/1 on rebound attempts
Mike $7,400 Coryat, 12 correct, 2 incorrect, 24.56% in first on buzzer
Combined Coryat Score: $50,000
Lach Trash: $2,000 (on 1 Triple Stumpers)
Coryat lost to incorrect responses (less double-correct responses): $2,000
James Holzhauer, stats to date:
219 correct, 9 incorrect
11/12 on rebound attempts
49.36% in first on buzzer (194/393)
14/15 on Daily Doubles (Net Earned: $139,689)
6/7 in Final Jeopardy
Average Coryat: $26,657
James Holzhauer, to win:
8 games: 95.15%
Avg. streak: 26.601 games.
Tournament of Champions projections:
With a projected 95 regular-play games to go prior to the Tournament of Champions cutoff, after 500,000 simulations, our model shows:
An average of 3.1013 5+-time champions (standard deviation 1.2195).
An average of 4.8305 4+-time champions (standard deviation 1.5111).
An early cutoff took place 3.265% of the time (or a 5-game winner will be left out).
James Holzhauer qualified 100.000% of the time.
Eric R. Backes qualified 85.620% of the time.
Anneke Garcia qualified 61.653% of the time.
Lindsey Shultz qualified 29.053% of the time.
Dave Leffler qualified 6.651% of the time.
Jonathan Dinerstein qualified 0.889% of the time.
- At $415,035, James moves to #4 on the all-time regular-play winnings list (passing Austin Rogers and Matt Jackson), and #14 all-time overall.
- James’ $22,012 is a record for a player after the Jeopardy! round. The previous best score that I’ve been able to find is $16,800, from Matt Jackson on October 8, 2015.
- James is the first player since Austin Rogers to win all 5 games in a taping week.
- Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez makes her first appearance in a Jeopardy! clue tonight, as the $1000 clue in WOMEN IN POLITICS.
- It had been a week’s worth of episodes (and the previous tape date a week earlier) since James had bet $9,812, so Alex could be excused for not remembering James’ Sept. 8, 2012 anniversary.
- James’ performance of 32 correct without being incorrect (as well as getting Final Jeopardy! correct) is not a record. (It is known that David Madden had a game of 35 correct, 0 incorrect, plus Final).
- Through 7 games, the only 2 players who have earned more on Daily Doubles than James Holzhauer are Matt Jackson and Ken Jennings.
- Effective in first on buzzer stats: James 48.21% (27/56), Ali 26.79% (15/56), Mike 25.00% (14/56).
Contestant photo credit: jeopardy.com
When commenting, please note that all comments on The Jeopardy! Fan must be in compliance with the Site Comment Policy.
If you are going to quote any statistics from this page or this website, attribution is required.