Today’s Final Jeopardy – June 6, 2019

Here’s today’s Final Jeopardy (in the category American Music Legends) for Thursday, June 6, 2019 (Season 35, Episode 194):

Steinbeck called him “just a voice and a guitar” but said his songs embodied “the will of a people to endure and fight against oppression”

Salomé Gonstad, a freelance writer from Hanceville, Alabama
Salom Gonstad on Jeopardy!
Brendan Roach, a policy researcher advisor from Cambridge, Massachusetts
Brendan Roach on Jeopardy!
Emma Boettcher, a user experience librarian from Chicago, Illinois (3-day total: $97,002)
Emma Boettcher on Jeopardy!

Emma is currently sitting 22nd on our Tournament of Champions tracker. A win today will likely move her to #12.

The Jeopardy! Book of Answers is out now! Here’s my review.

I recently updated my tournament wild card models with as much tournament data that I’ve been able to find! If you’re playing in a tournament, you’ll want to check this out!

Correct response: Who is Woody Guthrie?

Did you know that you can now find game-by-game stats of everyone, including James, who has won 10 or more games on Jeopardy!, here on the site?

The words were penned shortly after Woody Guthrie’s 1967 death by John Steinbeck, who had become a good friend of Guthrie’s in California. Both found much in common in protesting the Great Depression; Steinbeck’s preferred medium was the novel, Guthrie’s was the music. (Guthrie’s guitar famously had “This machine kills fascists” on it.) He wrote “This Land Is Your Land”, one of America’s most famous folk songs, in 1940.

Since Alex Trebek’s diagnosis of stage 4 pancreatic cancer, many community members have been raising money. The Jeopardy! Fan Online Store is as well! All proceeds from any “Keep The Faith And We’ll Win” shirt sold will be donated to the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. To date, over $370 has been raised.)

Brendan $19,200
Emma $19,000
Salomé $16,400

Salomé $16,400 + $16,400 = $32,800
Emma $19,000 – $13,801 = $5,199 (Who is Bob Dylan? A. Guthrie)
Brendan $19,200 + $19,000 = $38,200 (1-day total: $38,200)

Brendan Roach, today's Jeopardy! winner (for the June 6, 2019 game.)

Brendan $6,200
Salomé $6,000
Emma $3,800

1) BUSINESS NAMES $1000 (16th pick)
Brendan 2800 +2800 (Salomé 3200 Emma 1200)
2) PEOPLE IN HISTORY $1600 (5th pick)
Brendan 8200 +5000 (Salomé 7600 Emma 5800)
3) U.S. RIVERS THAT FLOW NORTH $800 (8th pick)
Emma 9000 +6000 (Brendan 13200 Salomé 7600)

J! round: None!
Total $ Left On Board: $0

Brendan $14,000 Coryat, 18 correct, 1 incorrect, 28.57% in first on buzzer, 1/1 on rebound attempts
Salomé $16,400 Coryat, 19 correct, 0 incorrect, 32.14% in first on buzzer, 1/1 on rebound attempts
Emma $13,800 Coryat, 16 correct, 1 incorrect, 28.57% in first on buzzer
Coryat lost to incorrect responses (less double-correct responses): $4,600

Emma Boettcher, final stats:

Brendan Roach, stats to date:
1/1 on rebound attempts (on 1 rebound opportunity)

Brendan Roach, to win:
Methodology: https://thejeopardyfan.com/2019/04/jeopardy-predictions-updated-methods.html

Tournament of Champions projections:
With a projected 66 regular-play games to go prior to the Tournament of Champions cutoff, after 500,000 simulations, our model shows:
An average of 1.8707 5+-time champions (standard deviation 1.1464).
An average of 3.3834 4+-time champions (standard deviation 1.4143).

An early cutoff took place 0.175% of the time (or a 5-game winner will be left out).

Brendan Roach qualified 16.929% of the time.
Eric R. Backes qualified 90.288% of the time.
Anneke Garcia qualified 69.164% of the time.
Lindsey Shultz qualified 34.810% of the time.
Dave Leffler qualified 8.569% of the time.

If you are going to quote any statistics from this page or this website, attribution is required.

Have you had a chance to listen to our new podcast game show, Complete The List, yet? Check it out! It’s also available on Apple Podcasts.

68 Comments on "Today’s Final Jeopardy – June 6, 2019"

1. Andy, I also wished to thank you for your fine website. Admittedly, I am only a “James-bandwagoner”; and only visited this site after James appeared. You do a great job tracking all the stats! Thank you once again.

2. I saw the question and immediately thought “Woody—Oh what was his last name?” I thought of it in 30 seconds though. Can Emma win & make a James vs Emma rematch in the TOC possible?

3. Bob Chang | June 6, 2019 at 12:05 pm |

Too bad Emma didn’t make TOC, but she did well and will always be known as the one who ended James’s streak.Curious, she wrote “Who is A. Guthrie?” As opposed to “Who is Woodie Guthrie?” Do you believe she would have been given credit for that answer?

Also has any 5 time or more champion ever been beaten by someone who went on to become a 5 or more time champ?
    If so, how many times and what tandem has the longest combined streak by back-to-back TOC qualifiers?

• It’s happened at least 4 times; the longest is a tie. Dave Leach (6) following Jason Keller (9) and Buzzy Cohen (9) following Andrew Pau (6).

• James Allen | June 7, 2019 at 1:49 pm |

After Emma won on Monday, one fellow fan thought that her performance against James was so impressive that she would go on a run of her own. I told him to slow down, it ain’t that easy. Emma was a good contestant, and winning 3 games is something to be proud of, but all this points up is how hard it is to win on Jeopardy! James won 32 games. He was so dominant (32/33 on FJ! is insane) and make it look so easy, a lot of us are forgetting how incredible that is. Let’s take a step back and remind ourselves of that.

P.S. Great site, btw.

4. No, she should not have been credited for A. Guthrie, as that almost certainly refers to Arlo Guthrie, Woody’s son. Not the same person, no credit.

• Jason Sterlacci | June 6, 2019 at 4:08 pm |

I believe Bob was asking if ‘Woodie Guthrie’ would have been accepted. The answer to that is yes.

5. Would they have taken it if she just wrote Guthrie?

• My guess is probably not, but I can’t be certain of that.

• Matt Rose | June 6, 2019 at 2:35 pm |

I am not sure but I think I have seen, only last names used before, even on FJ.

Anyway, I know I have seen only last names given before FJ, so only the last name should be allowed and good enough?????

• Woody Guthrie has a famous son in the same field (Arlo). This may be one case where Guthrie wouldn’t be good enough.

• @Andy
            I agree. The same would be with “douglas”. Kirk or Michael? Both famous actors in their own right. Since they also have different initials (father/son), an initial was also enough for Guthrie.A or W., with W. being correct.

• I don’t think so. Not only “Douglas”. (Kirk and Michael), also Sheen (Martin and Charlie….) In those cases a last name is not enough imo since father and son are both famous enough (sometimes infamous…) by themselves.And still alive.Kirk Douglas will be 102 1/2 in 3 days!

• Last names should be enough if the individual is distinguished enough so that it couldn’t possibly be confused with anyone else. In this case, I have to assume “Who is Guthrie” would not have been enough, as Arlo Guthrie is also a musician of distinction (not nearly as much as Woody, though).

• They took “Who is Marlowe?” from Emma in the game she beat James in. James was the only one to write Kit Marlowe.

• In Ken’s first game, Final Jeopardy was about female track stars, and the correct response was “Who is Marion Jones?” Ken wrote “Who is Jones?” and they questioned whether they would accept that answer and decided since there aren’t other well-known female track stars named Jones, they accepted it. But since there are two well-known Guthrie musicians, I’m guessing they wouldn’t have accepted “Who is Guthrie?”

6. Emma was a strong contestant — certainly not on the level of a James, but her Coryat scores over the past few days had her on the level of many who have pulled of a long streak (and of course many who flamed out after 3-4 days). It really highlights how amazingly difficult pulling off a long streak on the show is. (Coincidentally I wonder what percentage of 5+ game streakers start on a Monday show — it seems like that’d be the hardest day to start a long streak just because of fatigue!).

James was always going to be beaten in one of 3 ways. Either, in order of decreasing probability
    * James beats himself by getting a wrong answer on a big bet DD/FJ
    * A very strong player gets some breaks going her way, and beats him straight up in a close game.
    * or I suppose it’s possible that some super-super-competitor could crush him.

Everyone was sure the first would happen, but Emma was a strong competitor of the second type and had the talent to pull off some more wins. It was nice to see her back up her first win with some more (and a good showing today.)

I think this result leaves open the possibility of the producers having James bypass the ToC in favor of a super-tournament with Brad/Ken. There was no way they’d let that happen if there was a possibility of an Emma rematch — but now that won’t happen anyway. As it is, I still imagine they’ll have him compete in an ordinary ToC. Ken is precedent, though, for skipping the regular ToC and James is as dominant as anyone since Ken and his game-by-game stats are stronger than Ken’s. Even though he won only (heh) ~10 more games than Julia/David, his stats and game performance place him clearly on another level. I’m curious to see what they’ll do.

7. Just curious – how do you get the results before the episodes air?

8. Matt Rose | June 6, 2019 at 2:40 pm |

No Andy thoughts on today’s game????

So Emma doesn’t make $100,000 total? Would have like to have seen that.

And we are back to more normal, pre James, scores.

97,000+ in 3 wins = or $32,000 + Average
    Or
    98,000+ in 4 games = 24,000 + Average

9. Matt Rose | June 6, 2019 at 2:47 pm |

My Thoughts…..
    So Emma being 2/4 is disappointing.

Also today, Emma tied for last in buzzer ring in. Big part of not getting to answer more questions. And more $s.

33% to 28.5% and 28.5%

• Matt Rose | June 6, 2019 at 2:51 pm |

Edit. So Emma being 2/4 in FJ is disappointing.

PS. Remember Emma got a book question to beat James in FJ. and she works in librarian .

Vs James who was a astounding 32/33 in FJ.

10. If only Emma had missed the FJ on Monday… such a simple game sometimes.

11. Maurine Gutowski | June 6, 2019 at 4:09 pm |

Emma does get to go home witha nice paycheck. I will miss seeing it (last choir practice of the season), but thanks to this website I’ve got the facts. I don’t care at all about the new winner yet.

12. Prithvi Sudhakar | June 6, 2019 at 4:26 pm |

Also, in unrelated news, Jeopardy! is hosting a Teen Tournament later this year!

Here’s a link to the video.

I wonder if they’ll start on a Monday and and on a Friday or start on a Wednesday or end on a Tuesday. I don’t know why they do the latter, though.

13. Does anybody just love Jeopardy! anymore? It’s always been my favorite game, since the Art Fleming days of the 60s and 70s. The exit of James the Beloved (who didn’t even reach Ken’s streak HALFWAY by the way) seems to be causing a lot of angst…the show is still great and will survive people.

• It is a fine game show and my wife and I were watching every night pre James regardless. However James took it to another level and made it incredibly exciting with the consistently good play and mind boggling bets. Andy’s statistical comparison show James actually besting Ken in most of the categories. One I found interesting was the average competitor Coryat score being higher for James than Ken. Could it be that Ken’s outrageous streak was due in part to playing against less capable competitors on average?

• 2004-era Jeopardy has some subtle differences from 2019-era Jeopardy. A few months back I was looking at some of the Season 21 boards that Ken was playing and there was some weirdly obscure stuff on those boards.

• James Allen | June 7, 2019 at 2:04 pm |

An interesting observation. It would probably be hard to do an objective analysis on this, but I would a agree with your general point: I believe the difficulty of Jeopardy! clues has gotten easier over the years. Not a new knock on the show to be sure, but I think we can at least give more concrete examples of “fluff.” One is the clue crew clues and another is the media tie-in categories. Those are rather lame filler.

I think another factor on the “Jeopardy seems easier” front may be that players are just more prepared these days, what with decades of Jeopardy! clues available in databases, and computer/cell phone/social media trivia challenges available 24/7 to test your sharpness.

Anyway, the various Jennings/Holzhauer comparisons are good grist for the mill. To be continued, I’m sure.

14. Interesting to have 3 strong competitors so evenly balanced. Based on the numbers, Salomé actually may have been the best by a tad, with no incorrect responses and the highest percentage in first on buzzer. But she had the misfortune of not selecting any Daily Doubles.

15. Bob Chang | June 6, 2019 at 7:16 pm |

Andy, curious how you calculate first-in buzzer rate. Based on the percentages today of 28.57 for two of the contestants and one at 32.14 I calculated 16 out of 56 for those two and 18 of 56 for the other. With only two rebound attempts, how did we get 56 responses? With 3 DDs and 7 triple stumpers, I see only 50 first responses and two second responses. What am I missing? Thanks.

16. When does to TOC start? When can we see James again?

• James Allen | June 7, 2019 at 2:33 pm |

Nothing is official as far as I can tell, but the ToC usually airs in November. They don’t do it every year (they skipped 2018, for example) so they are due for one. When it actually happens is anyone’s guess. Alex Trebek’s health might be a factor here, as well as the fact that Jeopardy! just had an All-Star Team Tournament in Feb-Mar.

An interesting footnote is that Ken Jennings never played in a regular ToC (he went right to the Ultimate Tournament of Champions in 2005, where I’m sure most J! fans know he lost in the final to Brad Rutter.)

Speaking of which, I think we are all expecting the inevitable Jennings/Rutter/Holzhauer match. I have no doubt in my mind it will happen. Just have the 3 of them on for a week, let the answers and questions fly, and raise some money for charity while they’re at it. I just hope Alex can be there for it.

• Cindy McArthur | June 7, 2019 at 8:06 pm |

Did Alex say we’d see James in November? Not sure.

I got the Woody Guthrie answer and I’m a dumb head. I rarely get any right. But I learn! And promptly forget it all.

17. Odd but nice to actually see a close(r) game. I sometimes wonder if Jeopardy contestants are told not to show too much emotion. I mean no one likes a bragger but the champ today (and others) tend to hide their happiness for the most part…maybe just being humble idk…??

18. Ken and James certainly mirror the famous fable “The Tortoise and the Hare”. The Tortise came out on top that time as well! Slow and steady almost always wins the day.

19. So, the contestants don’t win their final total? Correct? 2nd wins 2,000 and 3rd wins 3,000. Please clear this up for me because I thought they got their total final. Thanks.

20. BRAD vs KEN vs JAMES Let’s have it! And let’s remove the luck: FIVE DAYS! No DDs or FJs! The only luck will be who gets to make the first pick.

21. It would be better than Jeopardy! We do not need to see who is the luckiest.

• To each his own I guess, but as someone who won one of his games coming from behind and getting FJ correct while the leader missed it, I’m not sure why my knowing the answer and his not knowing the answer was ‘luck’ any more than doing well in a category in your wheelhouse (or badly in the dreaded opera category 😊) is luck as opposed to knowledge, and preparation.

22. Prithvi Sudhakar | June 6, 2019 at 8:38 pm |

Speaking of my earlier post, why don’t Teen Tournament winners get spots in Tournaments of Champions?

Also, shouldn’t next season be the season when a ToC occurs?

23. Roy J DeRousse | June 6, 2019 at 8:43 pm |

Does anyone remember the question about DOS being a programming language vs. the acronym DOS meaning Denital of Service? The clue is incorrect! DOS is an operating system, not a programming language!

I’d like to know the exact wording (or a screen capture) so that I can be properly outraged and share this with my fellow computer geeks. Thanks!

• Ed Collins | June 6, 2019 at 10:38 pm |

Roy, The J-Archive Page will list the exact cluie, probably tomorrow.

• Ed Collins | June 6, 2019 at 10:39 pm |

*clue, not cluie.

• Roy J DeRousse | June 6, 2019 at 10:51 pm |

Thank you! I will be sure to check it then.

Jeopardy! is usually very good with constructing their clues. I’m surprised that this error made it through the reviewing process (although it didn’t affect the correct response to the clue whatsoever).

• Ed Collins | June 7, 2019 at 10:57 am |

I think this is it:

Category: SPELL IT OR SAY IT

DOS IS A PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE; DOS IS SHORT FOR “DENIAL OF” THIS & IS A COMPUTER ATTACK

Answer: What is service?

• Roy J DeRousse | June 7, 2019 at 12:47 pm |

Thanks, Ed! That sounds familiar. 🙂 DOS stands for Disk Operating System. That tells you right there that it is not a programming language! Thanks again.

• Steve Klemetti | June 7, 2019 at 7:36 pm |

I thought the same thing when I saw that. DOS means Disk Operating System and it is not a programming language.

24. If the aftermath of Emma’s defeating James, several posters predicted that she would likely have a long, successful run on Jeopardy!, perhaps qualifying for the TOC.

I’ve never understood why people jump to such conclusions on the basis of just one game. Crowning a contestant as a superior player should only be done retrospectively, AFTER s/he has had a successful run on the show.

Jasper

• The interesting thing is that James actually bested Emma (albeit only modestly) on virtually every stat from the June 3rd game except the one that mattered. She nailed both DDs during the DJ round and got the FJ to seal the deal. Although a very solid player, the luck of a hitting both DDs as well as categories very favorable to her played a big part. Of course that’s part of Jeopardy!

• Right! Jeopardy! allows a less-talented player with luck to topple a better player. It reminds me of my 9-year-old granddaughter nearly always getting Yahtzees to beat me. (I rarely get them!)

• I still don’t see why this is inherently a problem. There needs to be some amount of randomness and volatility in the game in order to have an exciting and entertaining contest for the viewers at home.

• I agree. Although I was disappointed James wasn’t able to topple Ken’s single season record, I was hoping that his dominance didn’t end up becoming completely monotonous. I was actually was wishing for two to three more end to secure the record, then a game like June 3rd where luck rather than a mistake ended his streak.

25. Pizza Face Fred | June 7, 2019 at 12:57 am |

What a difference a Jamesless Jeopardy! makes for me. I think I’m responsible for requesting the Triple Stumper stat a couple of years (?) ago. As a longtime watcher, I’ve often gauged the quality of the contestants by the number of them in a game. I got four today, but when James was king, I never got so many zeroes or, if I was really lucky, one or two. Seven of them today almost seems sacrilegious…

26. I guess I am in the very small minority of those who enjoyed watching this game exponentially more than watching James slaughter his opponents and having the games essentially decided at the break.

27. Randy Jeffreys | June 7, 2019 at 4:06 pm |

I agree with you, Mark. I found the absolute lack of any competitive drama to be numbing, to say the least. In fact, I stopped watching and waited for the news of his defeat. It was to me, analogous to watching Lebron James play a game of one on one with a ten year old…not very compelling television.

28. Cindy McArthur | June 7, 2019 at 8:11 pm |

Did anyone else think Emma looked extremely like Kim Darby from True Grit.?

29. Maybe this was already asked and answered, but how is California a day behind? This episode has not aired here, and ends up a spoiler for me. Maybe it’s not California, but my cable provider Spectrum? Does anyone know?
    Thanks!

• Since Jeopardy is syndicated, it airs on different (network) stations in different cities. If the station it’s on in your area is showing a ‘special’ in the Jeopardy time slot, (e.g. an NBA finals game), Jeopardy might be preempted and the show for that day shown at a later time, or even the next day. On all other US stations, the schedule is intact