Here’s today’s Final Jeopardy (in the category Word Origins) for Friday, July 12, 2019 (Season 35, Episode 220):
19th c. boots made with India rubber made one quieter, leading to this slang term for one whose job involves surveillance
(correct response beneath the contestants)
|Heather Ringman, an engineer from Houston, Texas
|Justin Burden, an alcohol lawyer from West Hollywood, California
|Sam Kavanaugh, a teacher from Minneapolis, Minnesota (2-day total: $46,000)
Are you going on the show and looking for information about how to bet in Final Jeopardy? Check out my new Betting Strategy 101 page!
(Content continues below)
Correct response: What is gumshoe?
More information about Final Jeopardy:
According to Merriam-Webster, the first known use of “gumshoe” to mean “a detective” was in 1913, as the rubber-soled shoes (“gum shoes”) they often wore allowed for stealthier movement when conducting surveillance operations.
Since Alex Trebek’s diagnosis of stage 4 pancreatic cancer, many community members have been raising money. The Jeopardy! Fan Online Store is as well! All proceeds from any “Keep The Faith And We’ll Win” shirt sold will be donated to the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network. To date, over $370 has been raised.)
Looking to find out who won Jeopardy! today? Tonight’s results are below!
Scores going into Final:
Justin $6,800 + $6,500 = $13,300
Heather $14,800 – $14,700 = $100 (What sneaker)
Sam $17,200 + $12,401 = $29,601 (3-day total: $75,601)
Scores after the Jeopardy! Round:
Opening break taken after: 15 clues
Daily Double locations:
1) LET’S MAKE A NEW DEAL $1000 (5th pick)
Sam 1400 -1400 (Justin 600 Heather 0)
2) DESERT-POURRI $2000 (5th pick)
Sam 7400 +7400 (Heather 6000 Justin 3200)
3) TAKE ME TO YOUR LIEDER $2000 (25th pick, $2,000 left on board)
Heather 16400 -2000 (Sam 16400 Justin 6000)
Overall Daily Double Efficiency for this game: -12
J! round: None!
DJ! Round: None!
Total $ Left On Board: $0
Sam $13,200 Coryat, 20 correct, 2 incorrect, 35.09% in first on buzzer
Justin $6,800 Coryat, 11 correct, 0 incorrect, 17.54% in first on buzzer, 1/1 on rebound attempts
Heather $16,800 Coryat, 16 correct, 1 incorrect, 28.07% in first on buzzer
Combined Coryat Score: $36,800
Lach Trash: $12,200 (on 11 Triple Stumpers)
Coryat lost to incorrect responses (less double-correct responses): $5,000
Sam Kavanaugh, stats to date:
61 correct, 7 incorrect
1/2 on rebound attempts (on 11 rebound opportunities)
33.33% in first on buzzer (56/168)
6/7 on Daily Doubles (Net Earned: $33,800)
2/3 in Final Jeopardy
Average Coryat: $12,067
Sam Kavanaugh, to win:
4 games: 68.476%
Avg. streak: 5.172 games.
- Heather’s bettting situation on the Final Daily Double was interesting, considering that the previous two clues in the category were Triple Stumpers. In her spot, I might have just bet $5 and taken my chances on the final clues, but I certainly can’t fault a $2,000 bet either. A correct response guarantees her at least a tie for the lead going into Final Jeopardy.
- Viewers wishing to complain that contestants do not phrase responses in the form of a question are asked to watch the episode with closed captions on prior to posting comments here.
Contestant photo credit: jeopardy.com
When commenting, please note that all comments on The Jeopardy! Fan must be in compliance with the Site Comment Policy.
If you are going to quote any statistics from this page or this website, attribution is required.