Here’s what we know so far about the 37th season of Jeopardy!:
- It premieres Monday, September 14.
- Mike Richards has replaced Harry Friedman as Executive Producer.
- Ken Jennings has been named a Consulting Producer, presenting special video categories, developing projects, assisting with contestant outreach, and serving as a general ambassador for the show.
- Casting is now entirely virtual. The first part of the process is the Jeopardy! Anytime Test, with further audition rounds taking place via Zoom.
- The set has been updated, with space between the three players in order to ensure that contestants are sufficiently distanced from each other and Alex Trebek. (See above photo). Additionally, the show has instituted COVID testing for contestants, staff, crew, and contestants; contestants have needed to report to the studio a few days before taping and pass a test at the studio prior to being allowed to be a contestant.
- All contestants to begin the season will be from Southern California, in order to prevent the spread of COVID from other parts of the country. Furthermore, The Jeopardy! Fan has learned that Zach Newkirk will not be defending his title on the September 14 episode and will return on a later date. Zach becomes the third champion in the Sky’s the Limit era (which began in September 2003) not immediately able to defend their title; Priscilla Ball (in 2009) and Claudia Corriere (in 2015-16) are the first two.
I hope everyone is looking forward to the return of the show on September 14!
Has your local pub quiz gone dark over COVID-19? Many companies are now live-streaming their games online! Check out our calendar of live-streamed trivia events and get your fix!
When commenting, please note that all comments on The Jeopardy! Fan must be in compliance with the Site Comment Policy.
If you are going to quote any information from this page or this website, attribution is required.