Today’s Final Jeopardy – Tuesday, November 10, 2020

Here’s today’s Final Jeopardy (in the category History in the Movies) for Tuesday, November 10, 2020 (Season 37, Game 42):

Vehicles in “2001: A Space Odyssey” featured this airline’s logo, but the company went bankrupt in 1991

We may have lost Alex over the weekend, but the show must go on. Alex wouldn’t want it any other way. Please, let’s remember him over the next seven weeks of banked episodes, and then afford him the same respect to his successors that we afforded him when he replaced Art Fleming in 1984.

Greg Marrero, a school administrator from Huntington Beach, California
Greg Marrero on Jeopardy!
Melissa Givens, a voice professor & singer originally from Buffalo, New York
Melissa Givens on Jeopardy!
Ben Lewis, a data scientist from Costa Mesa, California (1-day total: $44,401)
Ben Lewis on Jeopardy!

PSA: The best way to keep COVID-19 at bay (and keep Jeopardy! producing new episodes) is for everybody to abide by physical distancing guidelines and when you are not able to do so, properly wear a mask. Ensure that your mask covers both your nose and your mouth.

Correct response: What is Pan Am?

Did you know that you can now find game-by-game stats of everyone, now including Jason Zuffranieri and James Holzhauer, who has won 10 or more games on Jeopardy!, here on the site?

More information about Final Jeopardy: (The following write-up is original content and is copyright 2020 The Jeopardy! Fan. It may not be copied without linked attribution back to this page.)

As a way of demonstrating how iconic Pan Am was in terms of airlines in the 1950s and 1960s (as the world entered the jet age), the space shuttle in 2001: A Space Odyssey carried the logo of the airline, as the prediction was that by 2001, Pan Am would have led the commercial entry into space travel. It was the de facto American “flag carrier” airline, especially internationally, having been founded in 1927 to fly mail from Key West to Havana, having acquired the landing rights to the Cuban capital city from American International Airways. Essentially being shielded from competition in Latin America by the U.S. government, the airline was able to grow internationally. Unfortunately for Pan Am, the airline experienced a downturn in the wake of the 1973 oil crisis, and after attempts to keep Pan Am viable through the 1970s and 1980s, it filed for bankruptcy protection in January 1991. Most of Pan Am’s assets were purchased by Delta Air Lines. (Interestingly, “bankrupt in 1991” is not uniquely pinning for this clue, as Eastern Air Lines and Midway Airlines also went bankrupt in 1991.)

Has your local pub quiz gone dark over COVID-19? Many companies are now live-streaming their games online! Check out our calendar of live-streamed trivia events and get your fix!

We have many new offerings at The Jeopardy! Fan Online Store! Order early for Christmas 2020 as shipping and fulfillment will take longer than usual this year! Here are our top sellers:

Ben $19,200
Greg $13,200
Melissa $2,000

Melissa $2,000 – $100 = $1,900 (What is Eastern Airlines?)
Greg $13,200 + $8,000 = $21,200 (What is Pan Am?) (1-day total: $21,200)
Ben $19,200 – $7,201 = $11,999 (What is Martin?)

Greg Marrero, today's Jeopardy! winner (for the November 10, 2020 game.)

Greg $3,200
Ben $3,000
Melissa $2,400

1) GETTING THE KEY TO THE CITY $1000 (clue #7)
Ben 200 +1000 (Melissa 1200 Greg -200)
2) AROUND THE WORLD $800 (clue #12)
Ben 8200 +8200 (Melissa -400 Greg 8000)
3) A SAINT IN HISTORY $2000 (clue #21)
Greg 7600 +4000 (Ben 17600 Melissa 2000)

DJ! Round: AROUND THE WORLD $400 ODD PAIRS $400
Number of clues left unrevealed this season: 107 (2.55 per episode average), 2 Daily Doubles

Greg $11,200 Coryat, 14 correct, 2 incorrect, 23.64% in first on buzzer (13/55), 2/2 on rebound attempts (on 9 rebound opportunities)
Ben $11,800 Coryat, 19 correct, 4 incorrect, 34.55% in first on buzzer (19/55), 0/2 on rebound attempts (on 9 rebound opportunities)
Melissa $2,000 Coryat, 13 correct, 7 incorrect, 34.55% in first on buzzer (19/55), 1/1 on rebound attempts (on 4 rebound opportunities)
Coryat lost to incorrect responses (less double-correct responses): $14,000

Ben Lewis, career statistics:

Melissa Givens, career statistics:

Greg Marrero, career statistics:

Greg Marrero, to win:

26 Comments on "Today’s Final Jeopardy – Tuesday, November 10, 2020"

1. Donna Kirchmeier | November 10, 2020 at 9:30 am | Reply

It was difficult to watch Jeopardy last night. Wondering who will take over as host in the future. I just hope that they don’t choose Ken Jennings. I think Jeopardy James would be the best choice. He has most of the qualities that Alex shared. Jeopardy will never be the same without Alex (:

2. RIP Alex…

My cousin was his makeup artist for 30+ years, and had nothing but kind words about Alex,
    truly a class act. He even had Don McLean perform at his 2019 Christmas party, with most all of the Jeopardy crew invited and present.

As far as replacements go, and I know it’s a bit soon to discuss this, but since the topic was broached, I wouldn’t be surprised if Mike Richards gives himself the job. After all, he has some TV hosting in his past.

Besides, at a rumoured salary of $10-$15 Mil per year, It’ll be mighty tempting to give yourself the job, even on a temporary basis, because eventually (and soon), new episodes will have to be produced.

Man, what a year 2020 has been…can’t wait to lift a glass of bubbly on 12/31/20 and put this year behind us…Cheers, CR

3. I’ll be impressed if they all get FJ. So many major airlines have gone out of business, I’m not sure the date will help much as a secondary clue. It has been way too long since I saw the movie to remember something like this. I guessed TWA thinking maybe they did a play on the name to make it Trans World(s) Airline. I had to laugh when I looked it up to see that TWA went bankrupt in 2001.

• That was the third time TWA filed for bankruptcy :-O But yeah, I knew Pan Am just because that’s a trivia question I’ve seen often over the years. There is also a Howard Johnson’s reference in the movie as well as a Ma Bell picture phone.

4. I know this comment is a day late; but based on Ken Jennings clues about marine biology, I hope Ken does not become Alex’ successor. I was heartbroken by the news over the weekend, and my family all thinks that Ken will be the next host. I thought the clues he gave yesterday were long-winded and distracting (which is why no one got the sting ray answer). I wish we didn’t have to talk about Alex’ successor so soon, but I guess that’s just one more thing in 2020. 🙁

5. I would like to see Buzzy Cohen as host. RIP Alex.

6. I would love to see Ken Jennings as the new host.

7. I wouldn’t mind Ken taking the host spot, but there are probably many that will be considered. I do think James Holzhauer would not be a good choice. His knowledge is certainly at a high level, but he has the personality of a wet towel.

• Donna Kirchmeier | November 10, 2020 at 4:16 pm | Reply

Jeopardy James has humility and is altruistic in that he gives to certain charities. Does Ken Jennings do that? I don’t think so. A sincere, kind and humble man with a great sense of humor. I vote for James. Ken Jennings is so Blah, I’d fall asleep if he were host. Did you see him read the categories last night? Enough said, zzzzzzzzzzz

8. Marty Cunningham | November 10, 2020 at 4:57 pm | Reply

Okay, let’s jump into the fray of talking about replacement hosts. How about Jimmy, from the Clue Crew, or Sarah, if she is interested? They have been both doing part of Alex’s job for many years, and i have heard that Jimmy has ‘played’ Alex sometimes, reading clues when they run new contestants through a rehearsal game before each day’s taping. Alex earned the money he did because he had worked so hard to get there, plus he has been said to have donated most of his salaries to charities, including the proceeds from his new book. Any new host will obviously have an effect on ratings and revenue for the show, so they will probably want to cut back on expenses where possible, to keep the show profitable in the beginning. I have also read opinions that argue against a former contestant taking over hosting because so many of them might bring their own baggage to the show, especially if they ever have to work with other former contestants. Plus, there are some big personalities involved there and almost all of the names that have been mentioned have their equal share of fans and detractors. Alex never let his personality get in the way of hosting the show, and was always working for the good of the contestants.
    And let’s cut Mike Richards a bit of slack. Here he is, not even halfway through his first year on a new job, and he has just been handed the biggest setback to his goals and plans for the show, and he will be vilified, pilloried or excoriated no matter what decision he will make. How many of us would want to have that happen to us within our first few months on a new job? But, yes, i think we should all maybe write a letter to the show, asking them to consider moving Alex’s last show off of Christmas Day, primarily because the show may be preempted in a lot of markets due to football or basketball games on that day and there is even no guarantee that it may still air if they reschedule it at a later time. They could even move it to a major network in January, like they did with the “Greatest” tournament last January, aired first on ABC, then an encore in syndication this past summer.

9. Brad (not Rutter) | November 10, 2020 at 5:20 pm | Reply

Based on today’s episode maybe they are considering Mariah Carey? In all seriousness, based on ken’s category yesterday, I think he would do a GREAT job. I also think Brad Rutter would be excellent. Even though I like James and rooted for him in the GOAT tournament, I don’t think he would work. Communication skills/style not as polished as the other two. And Austin and Buzzy are too goofy.

• I also think Brad Rutter would be good. Based in her work on The Chase and Masterminds, I believe Brooke Burns should get consideration too.

10. A poll from reddit.com:

Do you want Ken Jennings to become the next host of Jeopardy?

Yes: 307 (74%)
    No: 106 (26%)

413 total votes

11. I recall a while back (before Alex negotiated his final contract), there was some chatter about who could fill such an historic role as Jeopardy! host. I remember a couple of the names mentioned were Billy Bush (this was before the Access Hollywood tape) and Jeff Probst. Remember, Probst hosted Rock and Roll Jeopardy on VH1, and rumours were he had enough being host of Survivor, ie, travelling to remote places for such long periods away from family.

I think either would make a good host. IMHO, Billy Bush really got a bad rap…DJT made all the misogynistic and chauvinist comments, and look where he ended up, the Oval Office. What did Billy get? A Pink Slip. Again, IMHO.

12. Benjamin R Patton | November 10, 2020 at 8:32 pm | Reply

Limiting the new host pool to former contestants is like saying only former pro-athletes should be sports announcers, which often turns out poorly. I seriously hope that Jeopardy doesn’t go this route, being a great contestant is a completely different skill than being a great host. Trebek hosted over 8,000 episodes and I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone say they’re sick of him, people complained about contestants after a single game. People complained about James and Ken and they have been on fewer than 150 episodes.

13. Host suggestion: someone who isn’t very well known, but will grow with the job and stay with it. The temptation to pick a big name or someone well-known to Jeopardy! fans is there, but long-term continuity is something that should be considered. Alex was such a successful host because he never made the show about him (even as he struggled through the episodes following his diagnosis) and let the material and the contestants’ recall of it be the stars. The worst thing that they could do is pick someone based on the notion that their personality will be a key feature of the show, because half the audience will love them and half will hate them, as amply evidenced by the comments above.

14. Ken Jennings: The Professor
    Brad Rutter: The Buzzsaw
    James Holzhauer: The High Roller

The Chase game show is back on ABC and it starts one year to the day that the Jeopardy GOAT aired, hosted by Sara Haines. Here’s the promo:

15. Michael Schwartz | November 10, 2020 at 10:08 pm | Reply

There isn’t as big a pool of people with game show experience as there was when Alex was picked. Age may be a factor that eliminates the old-time hosts that are still active, as you’d want someone who is able to commit to a long-term contract. Some of the up and comers mentioned may not be well known enough to inspire interest by the general public.

I’ll throw out Jimmy Kimmel as a candidate. He has decades of experience as a talk show, award show and game show host. (He currently is the host of “Who Wants to be a Millionaire?”) He has an amiable, lighthearted personality, and has shown that he doesn’t make the proceedings all about himself. I think he worth giving a tryout if he is interested.

16. Can we please be more excellent to each other in the comments section?

17. Just a quick mention of the excellent game play on the Monday and Tuesday episodes. Greg knocking off a $44KK winner in Ben. Impressive (although I don’t know how Ben missed Pan Am).

By the way, some non-show related people have floated Tom Bergeron as a host; he is a real professional and would probably be alright. I’ve also heard Craig Ferguson; he’s smart, well-read, articulate, and has a good personality – he might be an interesting choice.