Today’s Final Jeopardy – Friday, December 3, 2021

Here’s today’s Final Jeopardy (in the category Organizations) for Friday, December 3, 2021 (Season 38, Game 60):

In the U.S. & its territories, this nonprofit whose roots trace to 1980 fulfills a word in its name every 34 minutes

Andrew Rafner, a set decorator from Thousand Oaks, California
Andrew Rafner on Jeopardy!
Brooke Sachs, a user experience designer from Washington, D.C.
Brooke Sachs on Jeopardy!
Amy Schneider, an engineering manager from Oakland, California (12-day total: $483,000)
Amy Schneider on Jeopardy!

Andy’s Pregame Thoughts: Amy Schneider’s win streak on Jeopardy! is now at 12 games and over $480,000 in winnings. $500,000 is very much attainable today for her. If she does win today, she’ll continue her streak on December 20, as the show’s first-ever Professor’s Tournament begins on Monday.

I commend Jeopardy for continuing to experiment with different tournament formats. The show has always tried new things within the confines of the format. A lot of things—like the Teachers Tournament—worked very well. Others, like the team play of the All-Star Games of 2019, were more of a flop with viewers. But I do commend Jeopardy! for continuing to try new things.

PSA: The best way to keep COVID-19 at bay (and keep Jeopardy! producing new episodes) is for everybody to get their vaccinations as soon as they are able to, including any boosters as recommended. When wearing a mask, please ensure that your mask covers both your nose and your mouth.

Correct response: What is Make-A-Wish?

Did you know that you can now find game-by-game stats of everyone, now including Matt Amodio, Jonathan Fisher, and Amy Schneider, who has won 10 or more games on Jeopardy!, here on the site?

More information about Final Jeopardy: (The following write-up is original content and is copyright 2021 The Jeopardy! Fan. It may not be copied without linked attribution back to this page.)

In 1980, Phoenix’s Chris Greicius was a 7-year-old battling leukemia and wanting to become a police officer. The Phoenix community banded together to make Chris’ wish come true before his death later in 1980. This inspired the formation of the Make-A-Wish Foundation, which was created to grant wishes of critically ill children by 1981, and the Make-A-Wish Foundation of America was incorporated in 1983. Now, over 15,000 wishes are granted in the U.S. each year.

Amy $33,400
Brooke $4,800
Andrew $4,000

Andrew $4,000 – $2,000 = $2,000 (What is IDK LOL)
Brooke $4,800 – $3,999 = $801 (What is Feed the Children?)
Amy $33,400 + $20,000 = $53,400 (What is Make A Wish?) (13-day total: $536,400)

Amy Schneider, today's Jeopardy! winner (for the December 3, 2021 game.)

Amy $11,000
Brooke $4,400
Andrew $3,200

1) IT’S A SCIENCE $1000 (clue #25)
Amy 6200 +3000 (Brooke 4000 Andrew 3200)
2) NOVELS $1200 (clue #10)
Andrew 2400 +2400 (Amy 15800 Brooke 4400)
3) PULLING INTO “TOWN” $1600 (clue #25, $5600 left on board)
Amy 27800 +6000 (Brooke 4800 Andrew 4000)

Number of clues left unrevealed this season: 8 (0.13 per episode average), 0 Daily Doubles

Amy $27,000 Coryat, 36 correct, 5 incorrect, 66.67% in first on buzzer (38/57), 0/1 on rebound attempts (on 2 rebound opportunities)
Andrew $2,800 Coryat, 7 correct, 3 incorrect, 12.28% in first on buzzer (7/57), 1/2 on rebound attempts (on 4 rebound opportunities)
Brooke $4,800 Coryat, 9 correct, 0 incorrect, 14.04% in first on buzzer (8/57), 1/1 on rebound attempts (on 6 rebound opportunities)
Coryat lost to incorrect responses (less double-correct responses): $7,800

Amy Schneider, career statistics:

Brooke Sachs, career statistics:

Andrew Rafner, career statistics:

Amy Schneider, to win:

Today’s interviews:
Andrew does a podcast about the San Fernando Valley.
Brooke started collecting pothos during the pandemic.
Amy spent a lot of time acting, especially Shakespeare.

• Amy’s single-game score today is #52 all-time in regular play (including pre-doubled dollar values), and the 27th-best that does not belong to James Holzhauer.
  • Amy moves to #4 in all-time regular play winnings, and #10 in all-time winnings (including tournaments). Note that Roger Craig’s all-time total should be $555,200 and not $530,200 (as he won $25,000 in the All-Star Games in 2019) and Jason Zuffranieri’s total should be $542,496 and not $532,496 (as he won $10,000 in the most recent Tournament of Champions.)
  • At 401, Amy moves to 13th all-time in terms of number of known correct responses given on the show. Arthur Chu sits 12th at 411.

30 Comments on "Today’s Final Jeopardy – Friday, December 3, 2021"

1. I can see the “every 34 minutes” language throwing off a contestant. I know this is largely due to the sometimes misleading nature of statistics, but Make-a-Wish is obviously not adhering to a “wait 34 minutes between each wish” schedule.

• Debbie Stover | December 3, 2021 at 2:09 pm |

That’s an excellent point. In fact, for that reason the clue as written is incorrect. Obviously, it should have included the words “on average.”

2. Has Jeopardy! announced the cut-off date for TOC qualification? Or do they just wait until the ranks can be filled?

• No cutoff date has been around. Note as well that it’s just been 114 episodes since the last Tournament of Champions has aired.

• aaronthecrystalclod2002 | December 3, 2021 at 11:46 am |

The cutoff will probably be when the last person who wins five days or more (and gets defeated) qualifies for the TOC. There are five slots available – the sixth will go to the victor of the Professor’s Tournament.

• In addition to the Prof tourney, they are doing a College tournament as a “prime time special” on ABC (instead of the usual syndication) airing in February. I wonder if the winner of that tournament gets a spot in the ToC as well.

• The last cutoff was in January 2021 in Trebek’s last episode. The cutoff date would be approximately May or November 2022.

3. Danielle Cox | December 3, 2021 at 10:31 am |

I was lamenting how easy this answer was, yet again. Of course I was certain it was Habitat for Humanity with Jimmy Carter being defeated in 1980. Good job on fooling me 🙂

• Excellent thought process, though, Danielle!

• Exact same initial thought process. I think “1980” was put there as a bit of a red herring. Ultimately, I didn’t love the compatibility between “Habitat” and “fulfills”–that seemed like a bigger prompt for Make-A-Wish. I would have been sweating that I’d talked myself out of the correct response until the reveal though!

• Michael Johnston | December 3, 2021 at 9:07 pm |

Dang! Missed another one 🙁 Oh well, it’s good to see Amy playing well. It might be a while before she runs up against another player of Pam’s caliber!

4. Concerning a comment from yesterday, and I know I’m a day late, but Chuck Forrest, who was a 5 day champion on Season 2, he happens to be still be my most favorite Jeopardy champion after 36 years!!! My 2nd favorite is the guy whose name I’ve forgotten right now, but he’s the fireman from Douglaston, NY. Still my second favorite.

As for Amy, just keep winning. We just might have 2-million dollar winners in one season!!! We shall see.

• Thomas, I think you might mean Frank Spangenberg. He’s one of my all-time favorites! He was a transit cop though, not a fireman. But I definitely remember he was from Douglaston. (Btw I also really enjoyed Chuck Forrest!)

• Mary, thanks for reminding me on Frank’s name, and of his occupation. Chuck and Frank are two of my most favorites. And imagine that they are from Jeopardy’s first decade with Alex!!!!

• Thomas, Thanks for the great trip down Jeopardy memory lane!! I’ve been watching Jeopardy since the Art Fleming days, but Chuck & Frank were really the first champions I remember being a fan of. I cheered for them the same way I did for my favorite sports teams! I also remember Alex being just as fond of them as we were – their repartee was memorable! Those memories definitely bring a smile to my face, so thank you!!!

5. Sometimes two seasons go by before we have a ToC. Remember there have been a few seasons whereby hardly anyone could make it past 2 or 3 games won.

6. Amy now has 500 thousand dollars in just 13 wins just about 100K ahead of Matt Jackson and Austin Rogers. This was a easy final since I have seen commercials for the make a wish foundation quite often. Amy might just hit the million dollar mark pretty soon after the professors tournament. Amy should keep going in her win and pass Julia Collins

7. I suppose “fulfill” is supposed to key to “wish”, but Jeopardy’s FJ clues have been so poor as of late that I wouldn’t trust such a close reading.

I do think that, outside of that context, this could be a decent FJ.

8. The mitrailleuse was not an early type of machine gun.

• Per Miriam-Webster:

Definition of mitrailleuse
      1 : a breech-loading machine gun using small projectiles and consisting of a number of barrels fitted together and so arranged that the barrels can be fired simultaneously or successively and rapidly and first used by the French army in the war of 1870 with Germany. 2 : machine gun.

9. NowIOnlyWantATriumph | December 3, 2021 at 7:31 pm |

“Others, like the team play of the All-Star Games of 2019, were more of a flop with viewers.”

It’s worth noting that it was also a flop with the host. Per Claire McNear’s “Answers in the Form of Questions”, Trebek hated the All-Star Games.

10. Catherine Lombana | December 3, 2021 at 8:00 pm |

Which book was stated to be Alex Trebek’s favorite?

11. Paul S Davison | December 3, 2021 at 8:05 pm |

Unfortunately, yesterday and today, our affiliate ran the episodes from 11/25 and 11/26 instead of the correct ones, presumably because those episodes were pre-empted by football games. Thanks to this site for letting us know what happened!

12. Frank Smith | December 3, 2021 at 8:16 pm |

I’ve been looking forward to the Professors Tournament almost since it was announced, but for some reason, it doesn’t show up on my TV’s guide. I don’t know what channel it’ll be on and at what time.

• The Professor’s Tournament will play out during the time that Jeopardy normally airs in your area. Same time…same channel. It’s not a Prime Time special. I hope that helps.

• I think it’s being listed as Jeopardy Professor’s Tournament at the same time Jeopardy! normally airs.

13. Okay so now we are in a break in regular play in Jeopardy for the Professor’s Tournament for the next two weeks. So at Season 38, Game 60, Amy, having just won her 13th game, has amassed $536,400. Now at the end of Season 37, Game 230, Matt Amodio ended the season winning his 18th game with $574,801!!! Matt is a powerhouse for sure. Amy seems to be an even bigger powerhouse. After this upcoming tournament ends, and Amy comes back, if she wins that Monday 12/20, all she has to do is win more than $38,401 and she tops Matt’s 18 day total in 14 days!!! Just awesome. I trust that she is able to do just that. Merry Christmas to Amy. (:

14. L. A. Watson-Haley | December 5, 2021 at 5:20 am |

Why is 7. Julia Collins’ name in bold-type in the Winner’s list above? I don’t understand the significance. Aslo, why is Brad Rutter not listed in the regular-game Top 20? How did he get so much money if he wasn’t a top-winning player?

• Regarding your first question: There are unscrupulous website operators who copy my information wholesale, and they lack the wherewithal to actually sanity-check my data. Thus, sometimes I put in little traps to pinpoint that the data was copied from here.

Regarding your second: Brad won three different tournaments where the first prize was at least $1 million. His initial run took place when champions were still limited to 5 wins.