Today’s Final Jeopardy – Friday, January 7, 2022

Here’s today’s Final Jeopardy (in the category 20th Century Nonfiction) for Friday, January 7, 2022 (Season 38, Game 85):

“Norwegian Independence Day” & “A Vast Blue Sea” are mentioned in Chapter 1 of a 1948 book by this man

Sean Sweeney, a speech-language pathologist from Dorchester, Massachusetts
Sean Sweeney on Jeopardy!
Patsy Lester, a social studies teacher from Patchogue, New York
Patsy Lester on Jeopardy!
Amy Schneider, an engineering manager from Oakland, California (27-day total: $977,400)
Amy Schneider on Jeopardy!

Andy’s Pregame Thoughts: A popular topic in the Jeopardy! media as of late has been “What’s up with all of the streaks?” I honestly just believe that this season has just been a “perfect storm” as a result of COVID; a number of people have used their extra pandemic time to study more trivia and study for Jeopardy!; moreover, a number of those same people are players who got originally Called in March 2020 but rescheduled to 2021; these players, knowing they were going to get onto the show, made the most of their extra time. But as Buzzy Cohen also said yesterday, it’s the “aggressive preparation era”, and I believe that era dates back to Season 27, Roger Craig, and Watson. Both Roger Craig and Watson were well-known for their aggressive preparation, and this has filtered down over the past few years, with more and more champions having taken that route. To wit, the average streak length between Season 22 and 26 fluctuated between 1.69 and 1.81 games; since then, the lowest season average has been Season 34’s 1.83, with many seasons over 2 games.

I’ll very likely expound on this data further; I’ve just had the worst timing over the past 36 hours, I’ve been passing a kidney stone and my own health is definitely not 100%. Today, I feel better than I did yesterday, though. I’d also like to thank so many of you for your support over the past few weeks. I really appreciate that.

Now, onto today’s game: Amy Schneider will very likely surpass the $1 million mark with a win today. Her scoring average has dropped slightly this week. One thing that I would like to point out, though: Jeopardy! games are taped well in advance; this week’s games were taped in early November. Thus, the stories regarding Amy’s recently having been robbed will not affect her gameplay.

PSA: The best way to keep COVID-19 at bay (and keep Jeopardy! producing new episodes) is for everybody to get their vaccinations as soon as they are able to, including any boosters as recommended. When wearing a mask, please ensure that your mask covers both your nose and your mouth.

Correct response: Who is Thor Heyerdahl?

Did you know that you can now find game-by-game stats of everyone, now including Matt Amodio, Jonathan Fisher, and Amy Schneider, who has won 10 or more games on Jeopardy!, here on the site?

More information about Final Jeopardy: (The following write-up is original content and is copyright 2022 The Jeopardy! Fan. It may not be copied without linked attribution back to this page.)

Thor Heyerdahl, in 1947, became a household name in the late 1940s after rafting from the South American to the Polynesian islands, on his raft Kon-Tiki; the 1948 book detailed his experiences. Believing that such a voyage was possible with pre-Columbian technology, he set to prove it—and did, sailing on a balsa tree raft.

Amy $32,400
Sean $2,790
Patsy $1,000

Patsy $1,000 – $500 = $500 (Who is Winston Churchill?)
Sean $2,790 – $2,500 = $290 (Who is Hemingway?)
Amy $32,400 + $9,800 = $42,200 (Who is Heyerdahl?) (28-day total: $1,019,600)

Amy Schneider, today's Jeopardy! winner (for the January 7, 2022 game.)

Amy $14,800
Patsy $1,400
Sean $1,000

1) DOUBLE TIME $600 (clue #13)
Amy 4200 +2000 (Patsy 200 Sean 800)
2) POP CULTURE MONIKERS $1200 (clue #1)
Sean 1000 -2000 (Amy 14800 Patsy 1400)
3) HIS WIDOW LIVED ON $800 (clue #7, $28000 left on board)
Sean 600 +590 (Amy 19200 Patsy 1400)
Overall Daily Double Efficiency for this game: -23

DJ! Round: WORDS THAT START WITH 2 VOWELS $400 $800
Total Left On Board: $1,200
Number of clues left unrevealed this season: 13 (0.15 per episode average), 0 Daily Doubles

Amy $31,000 Coryat, 37 correct, 0 incorrect, 60.00% in first on buzzer (33/55), 3/3 on rebound attempts (on 5 rebound opportunities)
Patsy $1,000 Coryat, 7 correct, 5 incorrect, 21.82% in first on buzzer (12/55), 0/0 on rebound attempts (on 0 rebound opportunities)
Sean $5,000 Coryat, 6 correct, 1 incorrect, 9.09% in first on buzzer (5/55), 0/0 on rebound attempts (on 5 rebound opportunities)
Coryat lost to incorrect responses (less double-correct responses): $5,600

Amy Schneider, career statistics:

Patsy Lester, career statistics:

Sean Sweeney, career statistics:
1/2 on Daily Doubles (Net Earned: -$1,410)

Amy Schneider, to win:

Today’s interviews:
Sean does karaoke in his car during the pandemic.
Patsy was part of a family that bought a boat that originally was owned by the Kennedys
Amy was misled by the pronunciation of the word “misled”.

• Today was the first regular-play game with any unrevealed clues since November 23.
  • Both the $31,000 Coryat and $42,200 final score make it onto my top Coryats list and my top one-day totals list.
  • Count me as someone who doesn’t like what the show’s done with the Chryon; I would much prefer “28-day $1,019,600” on the same caption, without flipping. I hope the show reverts this change.

42 Comments on "Today’s Final Jeopardy – Friday, January 7, 2022"

1. Ugh. Total brain freeze on his name. My brain was screaming “kon tiki”, “ra”, “easter island” but his name wouldn’t come.

2. Debbie Stover | January 7, 2022 at 10:31 am |

Sorry you’re under the weather, Andy. I’ve passed a kidney stone myself, and it was terribly painful. I hope you’re feeling better very soon.

3. Marvin Gregory “Greg” Fuller | January 7, 2022 at 11:42 am |

One of the best feelings in the world is when a kidney stone has passed. Get well soon. Doctor told me to drink as much beer as possible. Worked for me.

4. aaronthecrystalclod | January 7, 2022 at 1:34 pm |

I have a feeling that someone must’ve spoiled when Amy was going to lose, thus why the “x-day” graphic did not show with the total.

• aaronthecrystalclod | January 7, 2022 at 1:43 pm |

Also, I want to add that she and Matt Amodio have tied the amount of games they took to get to the $1,000,000 mark.

• So, what the show did essentially was an electronic Trilon, they put 28-day champion on one bar and then flipped it to give her total.

• We’ll see about that.

I’d say, for tonight only, with the milestone, the one-time change would work.

5. Brian Irvin | January 7, 2022 at 1:40 pm |

I’m betting the Chryon change is to help the editors later if Amy’s exit is spoiled a la Jennings. By separating the two, they can more easily leave the totals and remove the days to hide when she (eventually) loses.

6. Michael Johnston | January 7, 2022 at 2:27 pm |

dang :p After getting four-in-a-row in FJ, I was stumped on this one. I always forget about Heyerdahl’s Kon-Tiki expedition being in 1947 and just remember the Ra expedition from when I was in school.
    Amy had a terribly strong performance today with her correct response ratio and first-in%. Looking forward to seeing her next week!

7. Get well soon Andy. My mom had kidney stones previously and it was surgically removed. But still though I thought of Kon tiki expedition and got to thor. The hint of easter island got me to the right response. Glad to see Amy getting the million dollar mark.

8. Contestants like Amy are the reason I do NOT go on Jeopardy! I never heard of the author who was the correct response to today’s clue. I’m not dumb. I have a college degree but Amy has a variety of knowledge that average people don’t have access to.

Tbere is no way to know how many potential champions lost in disgrace because they were up against a Jeopardy legend.

Amy won her first game from SECOND place going into FJ. If her first opponent had gotten that FJ right, Amy would’ve missed out on over a million dollars. Since then, she has always been in first place going into FJ. She has actually had more non-runaway games than Matt Amodio and James Holzhauer but her wide variety of knowledge means she is still likely to win.

• To me, Thor Heyerdahl is someone that I’ve known of since high school. Not sure where/why I first learned about him, but it’s been in my own brain for a long time.

• Debbie Stover | January 7, 2022 at 9:07 pm |

Alan, I’m curious: How exactly, in your mind, does Amy have “knowledge that average people don’t have access to”?

• Matt Amodio writing of how much knowledge he picked up from Wikipedia is a good example of how information is as accessible as ever now.

• Amy’s FJ wager was very strategic – had she missed, would still be a millionaire, finishing with exactly $1,000,000

• I’d say two did yesterday, but not in disgrace.

9. Ginny McShane | January 7, 2022 at 3:56 pm |

Keep going Amy. You are so much fun and awe to watch.

10. Jennifer Smith | January 7, 2022 at 5:12 pm |

Dear Amy- Queen of a million hearts!!
    My whole family gathers every week night to cheer you on!
    If caring about you could make you well, you would feel great all ready!!

ALOHA PLENTY
    (we think you would make a great mayor of Oakland!)

11. Amy pitched a “perfect game” today. 37 correct, 0 incorrect. 3/3 on rebounds. Quite impressive!

12. John DiNicola | January 7, 2022 at 7:25 pm |

I was surprised in regular Jeopardy today that they ruled Amy correct when she simply identified Zayn by his first name. She was clearly struggling with remembering his last name.

13. That was a funny story Amy told… misled 🤦🏼‍♀️

14. In regards to all the streaks, does anyone else lose interest in the show when the same champion in on for weeks on end? Should Jeopardy! reinstate a cap on number of games played?

I wasn’t a regular Jeopardy! viewer when Ken and Brad were on, but James and Matt became annoying to watch after a while. Amy is getting to that point. Let someone else have a chance now.

• Jason:

There are other fans who hold the same viewpoint as you. However, if the increased ratings the show gets and the increased traffic this site gets during streaks are any indication, your viewpoint is an extreme minority one.

No, the show should not reinstate a cap, in my opinion. It keeps the show relevant.

• I agree with Andy that a cap on the number of games that a Jeopardy! Champion can win would be a mistake, but I confess that I really dislike games like tonight’s where there is little “competition” and the 2 ‘other’ contestants are so outclassed. I love the trivia but it’s just not fun to see one player run roughshod over the other two. There’s not much Amy can do about that, of course, but it makes for difficult watching (for me at least).

• It has always been history in American game shows that when any champion gets on a run and starts racking up a big number in winnings over a long period of time, it will get interest.

I still recall when Thom McKee was getting newspaper space for his run on Tic Tac Dough — and that was only $300,000.

Now, Schneider is actually going to make an assault on the Top 20 winners of all time. She’s champ by the end of next week at current average, she’ll pass like nine of them.

15. Martin Greunke | January 7, 2022 at 8:11 pm |

Ken Jennings reply that Thor Heyerdahl sailed the Kon-Tiki to prove it could be done was not quite right. It sailed to prove people could sail from Peru to Easter Island thus opening the way for other people, Polynesian, et al, to populate those parts of the globe.

16. I agree with Andy that a cap is not necessary. I think more people watch the program if there was a long-time winner in order to see if he or she loses, unless they cheat and look at the site in advance and live on the West Coast, like I do. Wasn’t James Holzhauer’s last appearance a very- highly-watched program!

As far as the answer goes. I knew it immediately. I had a head start on it, because I read the book in high school on my own.

Congratulations to Amy. I get more impressed by her every day, but again, where are contestants who can compete with her?

No offense, but how could somebody answer Winston Churchhill to this question? I CAN see Heyerdahl’s name being on the tip of someone’s tongue and not getting it. And the same goes for if the question asked for the name of the boat or the book.

Of course, the key is Norway and something to do with the ocean, so it would probably involve a Norwegian guy sailing or floating somewhere in the Pacific or Atlantic. A not-completely-dopey answer would’ve been Jacques Cousteau. At least it would have been in the ballpark.

• Even then, there is a significant group of people who don’t want or like the anxiety of “what happens next?”, so they seek out the information.

• Enos Williams | January 7, 2022 at 11:22 pm |

Admittedly, the Norway reference first led me to Quisling, but then I thought “Did he ever write a book?” and “He was probably executed by then.” I then saw “A Vast Blue Sea” and had an aha moment. I think Patsy focused too much on the year 1948.

17. I forgot to say to Andy that I hope this “trial “is soon over. I have never had this problem , but I have read that it is excruciatingly painful. At least, I think now that in many cases the stone can be broken up with a laser, or something like it, reducing the necessity of screwing around with the problem surgically.

18. Sally M. Walker | January 7, 2022 at 8:38 pm |

I record Jeopardy daily so that I can watch it as soon as I get home. This past week,
    the show has run over by a few seconds – just enough to make me miss the final result.
    What can be done??!!

• There may be a setting on your PVR to record extra time at the end of the show (I know that I’ve had PVRs with this feature in the past); or, you could just record the next show in order to ensure that you see the end.

I’m sorry that this is happening to you!

19. Not sure why Patsy’s “double bassoon” answer was not allowed. Double bassoon is another name for contrabassoon and fits the clue.

20. Pamela Ross | January 7, 2022 at 11:55 pm |

Zayne Malik has not become a one-named celebrity. I adore Amy but I absolutely would have challenged this as an insufficient answer. Hemsworth (I know. There are two of them) was not enough but Zayne is?

• Pamela:

1) it’s Zayn, not Zayne.
      2) here’s the art for “Pillowtalk”: https://t.co/i3hU5b3onr – it just says “Zayn”. Being that he has very clearly released music mononymously, the judges were 100% correct with their ruling tonight.

Your challenge would be very swiftly denied.

• “Zayne” would not be ruled incorrect even if it was a written response (in Final J)
        And besides, his birth name was Zain. Seems a silly thing to quibble over.
        Obviously just how much needs to be given to be accepted is rather subjective, depending on how the judges feel like ruling that day.
        As is how closely they monitor the time to respond.
        There have been instances where the lights on the timer have all gone out before the contestant finished their response but they still accepted it, while other times a contestant had gotten 90% of the answer spoken when Ken has interrupted them that time had run out

21. Pamela Ross | January 8, 2022 at 2:03 am |

Okay.
    Taking my lumps.
    I stand corrected.

22. Why did Shane bet anything more than $789? $2,000 won is more than $1,000!