Andy here with the recap for Monday’s game! Remember that online testing is coming up this Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, go to jeopardy.com to register!
This week’s contestants:
Parker East, Tallahassee, FL
Wendy Hayes, Kansas City, MO
Natalie Hudson, Houston, TX
Steve Money, Washington, DC
Kristin Morgan, Huntsville, AL
Lee Ann Roberts, Albuquerque, NM
Matt Ruprecht, Hamilton, NJ
Brett Swartz, Athens, GA
Frances Way, Fort Collins, CO
and returning champion Ashok Poozhikunnel, Wheaton, IL
Eagle-eyed viewers will notice that there are only 9 challengers this week! Something fun is coming this week!
Today’s challengers for Ashok are Steve Money and Wendy Hayes! Ashok’s coming in with a 2-day total of $39,601. Will he make it 3 wins?
J! round categories:
HOW DO YOU?
ORIGINAL OPERA TITLES
RULE OF THIRDS
UCLA CELEBRITY ALUMNI
2000: THE YEAR IN QUOTATIONS
The opening of this game saw mostly Ashok and Wendy trading correct answers, with Steve getting a couple of clues for himself! I was very disappointed, though, that our contestants didn’t answer the HOW DO YOU? clues in the “How do you…?” form! Tut, tut!
Scores at the opening break, after 15 clues:
In his interview, Ashok admitted to buying a buzzer system and competing against his brother on random quiz bowl sets he found online! I pity them if they came across any of the old VETO packets from a few years ago!
Looking through the remaining categories (Opera titles, UCLA, and 2000), I had a feeling that the Daily Double was in 2000, and it was at the bottom of that category! Steve got to play it just after taking the lead, with the scores as follows:
His bet was $1,200. His clue: This country’s President, in an address to the Knesset: “I am asking forgiveness…for myself and my generation”. His correct answer put him at $5,200! (I myself gave the country in which the Knesset was located. Whoops!)
Triple Stumper Shocker of the day (UCLA $600): Attending UCLA in the ’60s, he was no “Meathead”, he just played one later on television. Sigh.
Scores at the end of 30:
DJ! round categories:
IT’S PLAY TIME
DAYS OF YORE
ACTORS WHO DIRECT
HOLD THE FORT
The first Daily Double came very quickly here, on the 2nd clue of the round, in DAYS OF YORE $800. Ashok got to play it after getting the first $400 clue; thus the scores are as above (except that Ashok has $3,200).
He chose to bet $3,000. His clue: This mixture of potassium nitrate, sulfur & charcoal was perfected by the Chinese around 1000 AD. His correct response tied him with Steve in one fell swoop!
And the Ashok train kept rolling along from there, with his correct response total and score building quickly! In the middle of FEMALE FIRSTS (at $1,600), he got to the game’s final Daily Double! Scores at this point were:
His bet was just $3,000. Her clue: The first to be named Time Magazine’s Woman of the Year, she soon married ex-British King Edward VIII. I got this one immediately; Ashok struggled and nearly came up with it, but couldn’t remember the last name! His score dropped to $12,000, but his buzzer was going well, so there was plenty of time to try to regain a lock!
Steve got his buzzer mojo working again as well, though, and he kept himself within striking distance! Scores going into Final ended up as follows:
FJ! category: AMERICAN SPORTS LEGENDS
FJ! clue: A bio from 1974, 26 years after his death, quotes him: “I swing big…I hit big or I miss big, I like to live as big as I can”
Wendy 2400 + 1600 = 4000
Steve 13000 + 6000 = 19000
Ashok 18800 + 7201 = 26001
That’s Ashok’s 3rd win, meaning I get to update the ToC standings!
Tournament of Champions update:
1. Monica Thieu $100,000 (College Champion)
2. Patrick Quinn $100,000 (Feb. 2012 Teacher’s Champion)
3. Colby Burnett $100,000 (Nov. 2012 Teacher’s Champion)
4. Jason Keller $213,900 (9 wins)
5. Keith Whitener $147,597 (7 wins)
6. Stephanie Jass $147,570 (7 wins)
7. Joel Pool $116,800 (6 wins)
8. Dave Leach $98,054 (6 wins)
9. David Menchaca $115,503 (5 wins)
10. Paul Nelson $54,900 (5 wins)
11. Jason Shore $85,200 (4 wins)
12. David Gard $84,700 (4 wins)
13. Dan McShane $62,001 (4 wins)
14. Patrick Morrison $80,701 (3 wins)
15. Francis Lansangan $78,401 (3 wins)
16. Ashok Poozhikunnel $65,602 (3 wins)
17. Matt Samberg $61,402 (3 wins)
18. Andy Baggarly $60,402 (3 wins)
19. Kris Hamilton $60,301 (3 wins)
20. Alistair Bell $56,800 (3 wins)
21. Paula Menasche $55,100 (3 wins)
22. Stephanie Fontaine $54,500 (3 wins)
23. Joey Falco $53,999 (3 wins)
24. Susan Jann $53,800 (3 wins)
25. Erin Zweiner $53,399 (3 wins)
26. Beau Henson $51,203 (3 wins)
27. Margaret Swanson $48,000 (3 wins)
28. Claudia Gray $45,202 (3 wins)
29. Dan Adkison $37,400 (3 wins)
30. Jacob Silverman $35,998 (3 wins)
31. Jessamine Price $26,803 (3 wins)
Will he propel himself further up the ToC standings? We’ll find out tomorrow! See you then!