Today’s Final Jeopardy – March 23, 2018

Here’s today’s Final Jeopardy (in the category Unreal Estate) for Friday, March 23, 2018 (Season 34, Episode 140):

Some of the features of this title place of an 1883 novel are Mizzen-Mast Hill & Captain Kidd’s Anchorage

Daniel Ludlam, a student from Claremont, California
Daniel Ludlam on Jeopardy!
Tristan Mohabir, a nonprofit association director from Washington, DC
Tristan Mohabir on Jeopardy!
Lynn Klyde-Allaman, a journalism professor from Lafayette, Colorado(1-day total: $8,800)
Lynn Klyde-Allaman on Jeopardy!

If Lynn wins today, it would be the 3rd week this season where a woman has won every game of the week. (January 22-26, 2018 and September 11-15, 2017 are the other two thus far this season.)

Correct response: What is Treasure Island?

Did you know that you can now find game-by-game stats of everyone, including Austin Rogers, who has won 10 or more games on Jeopardy!, here on the site?

Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson, is a notable adventure novel about “buccaneers and buried gold”. Unsurprisingly, it has had a massive influence on the perceptions of pirates since its publication.

Originally serialized in 1881 and 1882 in Young Folks, it was published as a book in 1883.

One final note: Jeopardy!‘s contestant co-ordinators often say that the best way to study for the show is to watch the show. This is definitely one of these cases, as a more casual viewer would be more confused by the reference to “Unreal Estate” as “fictional places”, whereas a more seasoned viewer is much more likely to pick up on that right away.

There’s always something new coming into The Jeopardy! Fan Online Store, including something perfect for Philadelphia football fans! Here are our top-selling items!

Lynn $17,400
Daniel $9,800
Tristan $7,600

Tristan $7,600 + $7,600 = $15,200 (1-day total: $15,200)
Daniel $9,800 – $7,605 = $2,195 (What is Neverland?)
Lynn $17,400 – $2,201 = $15,199 (What is Robinson Crusoe?)

Tristan Mohabir, today's Jeopardy! winner (for the March 23, 2018 game.)

Lynn $4,200
Daniel $3,800
Tristan $1,800

1) WHERE’D THAT HAPPEN? $1000 (5th pick)
Daniel 800 +1000 (Lynn 1200 Tristan -400)
2) DESERT WILDLIFE $1600 (2nd pick)
Tristan 3000 +3000 (Lynn 4200 Daniel 3800)
3) TIME MAGAZINE’S PERSON OF THE YEAR $2000 (6th pick)
Tristan 8400 -4000 (Lynn 4200 Daniel 3800)

J! round: None!
Total $ Left On Board: $0

Tristan $10,200 Coryat, 14 correct, 4 incorrect, 28.07% in first on buzzer
Lynn $17,400 Coryat, 19 correct, 2 incorrect, 33.33% in first on buzzer
Daniel $9,800 Coryat, 14 correct, 2 incorect, 22.81% in first on buzzer
Coryat lost to incorrect responses (less double-correct responses): $5,000

Lynn Klyde-Allaman, final stats:

Tristan Mohabir, stats to date:
1/2 on Daily Doubles (Net Earned: -$1,000)

Tristan Mohabir, to win:

If you are going to quote any statistics from this page or this website, attribution is required.

Have you had a chance to listen to our new podcast game show, Complete The List, yet? Check it out! It’s also available on Apple Podcasts.

8 Comments on "Today’s Final Jeopardy – March 23, 2018"

1. Scott William | March 23, 2018 at 1:34 pm |

Look, I don’t want to unreasonably criticize the contestants. It’s a great achievement to even make it on the show. That said, can someone explain the rationale behind these Final Jeopardy wagers? Usually I understand the gameplay thinking behind all three, but not this time.

• john blahuta | March 23, 2018 at 1:59 pm |

Lynn covered against Daniel but overlooked the fact that Tristan would be 1 buck ahead (since he was right and wagered everything). Had Lynn wagered just 2.200, Tristan & Lynn would have been tied.Again, the last ended up first. Also some kind of short by Lynn I guess. They asked for a place, not a person.

Anyway, have a great weekend and a nice weekend to everybody else as well!!!!

• Chad Tritz | March 23, 2018 at 2:00 pm |

My understanding: First place (pre-final) was betting traditionally with the intent to win, second place was betting with the intent to overtake first because they would not win without a correct answer due to the amount first place was ahead by (though the extra 5 is more unknown), and my guess is that third place recognized that the only way they even stood a chance to win was by wagering everything based on the most likely wager from first place. That was my read.

• Scott William | March 23, 2018 at 2:48 pm |

Thanks folks. Based on your excellent responses, I now understand the likely thinking behind these wagers.

• john blahuta | March 23, 2018 at 3:53 pm |

AND…Lynn could have wagered for a 3 way tie…but hindsight is always 20/20. You never know how much a challenger wagers, leave alone whether s/he will be right.the extra 4 bucks by Daniel may have been just an attempt to be different/funny and win by another margin than players usually do (1 buck in close game is the majority I believe).
        On a different subject, Holy Week starts Sunday so I fancy we will see at least one biblical related FJ next week.

• Daniel Ludlam | March 24, 2018 at 12:54 am |

Daniel here – explaining my wager.

I studied the wagering a little bit before taping. I knew my score was between 1/2 and 2/3 of Lynn’s. As I’m sure you know, this scenario is known as a crush, where you’re supposed to 1) wager enough to force the leader to get it right and 2) protect your position from being usurped by 3rd place. I wagered a few more dollars on top just in case Lynn went for a tiny wager (don’t know why I thought that could happen, nerves on stage probably made that seem more likely than it should have been)

However, it hadn’t connected with me that it wasn’t a “crush”, but rather a rare & unique situation where 1st = 2nd + 3rd. In which case I was supposed to bet it all, since Lynn could have rationally wagered $2200, bet for the tie, and I would have a chance in the tiebreaker question.

Oh well, it wouldn’t have made a difference. I got final wrong and got $1000. Had I gotten final right, I would have won – my wager still would have done the trick, it just should have been an all-in one.

• Daniel — thanks for joining the discussion. The 3+2=1 scenario leads to some difficult decision making. The arithmetic strategy may need to take second place to comfort with the category and what you think the other players MIGHT do based on their comfort with the category. I always run through the strategies available during the commercial, and thought that in your position I would have either wagered 5400 for the possible tie or 5401 for a possible win — if I thought FJ was a strong category for me, I would have gone for the win; if FJ was a weak category I would have gone for the tie hoping that the tiebreaker might be a better category.

But — your wager was one of many possible “correct” wagers by my definition. You always have to consider the possibility of a zero bet by the leader, and your wager would have won with a correct answer even if Lynn had been correct with a zero wager.

Enjoyed your appearance and was rooting for all three candidates in a fun game to watch. Congrats on being on the show and I hope you and your family enjoyed your Jeopardy appearance!

2. What was the question and answer about a sage and karma? Thanks all!