Today’s Final Jeopardy – Thursday, June 30, 2022

Here’s today’s Final Jeopardy (in the category U.S. Cities) for Thursday, June 30, 2022 (Season 38, Game 209):

This U.S. city now has 10 times the population of the other U.S. city for which it was named in 1845

Hoa Quach, a portfolio manager from Naperville, Illinois
Hoa Quach on Jeopardy!
Dave Bzdak, a philosophy professor from Syracuse, New York
Dave Bzdak on Jeopardy!
Halley Ryherd, a real estate attorney from Waukee, Iowa (1-day total: $5,999)
Halley Ryherd on Jeopardy!

Andy’s Pregame Thoughts:

Halley Ryherd, who has brought vibrant colors to the Jeopardy! set for her wardrobe—yesterday’s preview showed what looks like a lovely mango-colored top today—won yesterday’s game after another Triple Stumper Final Jeopardy. Today, she faces Syracuse’s Dave Bzdak and the Chicagoland area’s Hoa Quach.

On a more personal note: For the past two and a half years, I have often raised money for the MS Society of Canada through their “Gamers vs. MS” program. This July, Gamers vs. MS is running a month-long fundraising campaign called “Boss Battles.” In an attempt to raise $25,000, the Gamers vs. MS team has designed a “fundraising adventure” to defeat eight evil bosses. (Much like a Mario game might have eight bosses to defeat.) You can get more information about the program at https://www.gamersvsms.ca/bossbattles.

PSA: The best way to keep COVID-19 at bay (and keep Jeopardy! producing new episodes) is for everybody to get their vaccinations as soon as they are able to, including any boosters as recommended. When wearing a mask, please ensure that your mask covers both your nose and your mouth.

Correct response: What is Portland, Oregon?

Did you know that you can now find game-by-game stats of everyone, now including Matt Amodio, Jonathan Fisher, and Amy Schneider, who has won 10 or more games on Jeopardy!, here on the site?

More Information About Final Jeopardy:

(The following write-up is original content and is copyright 2022 The Jeopardy! Fan. It may not be copied without linked attribution back to this page.)

Portland, Oregon was founded in the 1840s when William Overton and Asa Lovejoy claimed land on the west bank of the Willamette River in Oregon. By 1845, Overton had sold his share in the town to Francis Pettygrove. Pettygrove and Lovejoy then flipped a coin to determine the name of the new town; Pettygrove won, naming Portland after his hometown of Portland, Maine; had Lovejoy won, it would have been named Boston, for Boston, Massachusetts. The penny used for the coin toss is still on display at the Oregon Historical Society Museum.

Game Recap:

Jeopardy! Round:

(Categories: First Lady Firsts; “Stan” Countries; Journalism; One Letter Makes a Difference; I Won an Emmy for That Drama; Tales from the Unclaimed Baggage Center)

Early honors in today’s game went to Hoa, who picked up six correct responses over the first 15 clues! Meanwhile, Halley struggled with incorrect responses early on, picking up two. Coming out of the break, Halley still struggled, picking up only one more correct responses, whereas our two challengers were in a neck-and-neck battle. Hoa held the lead after 30 clues.

Double Jeopardy! Round:

(Categories: Thanks for the Memoirs; Science Words; Kentuckian Entertainers; “Eat”; Drink; Be Merry)

Double Jeopardy! continued to belong to our two challengers, with them splitting the two Daily Doubles; Hoa for $2,500 and Dave for $2,000. Dave ended up picking up $2,000 on the final clue of Double Jeopardy! to take the lead! Scores going into Final were Dave at $15,000, Hoa at $13,900, and Halley at $7,200.

For the third day in a row, Final Jeopardy! was a triple stumper! At the end of it, Dave had the most money, so he’ll be back tomorrow to defend!

Tonight’s Game Stats:

Looking to find out who won Jeopardy! today? Here’s the Thursday, June 30, 2022 Jeopardy! by the numbers:

Dave $15,000
Hoa $13,900
Halley $7,200

Halley $7,200 – $7,199 = $1 (What is New Yor)
Hoa $13,900 – $13,000 = $900 (What is San Francis)
Dave $15,000 – $13,000 = $2,000 (What is New York?) (1-day total: $2,000)

Dave Bzdak, today's Jeopardy! winner (for the June 30, 2022 game.)

Hoa $5,400
Dave $4,600
Halley $1,600

1) “STAN” COUNTRIES $400 (clue #19)
Dave 1600 -600 (Halley 1600 Hoa 3000)
2) “EAT” $2000 (clue #6)
Hoa 7400 +2500 (Halley 2400 Dave 7400)
3) SCIENCE WORDS $2000 (clue #20, $12000 left on board)
Dave 11000 +2000 (Halley 5600 Hoa 10700)

Number of clues left unrevealed this season: 83 (0.40 per episode average), 0 Daily Doubles

Dave $15,600 Coryat, 18 correct, 3 incorrect, 31.58% in first on buzzer (18/57), 1/1 on rebound attempts (on 4 rebound opportunities)
Hoa $13,400 Coryat, 17 correct, 1 incorrect, 28.07% in first on buzzer (16/57), 1/1 on rebound attempts (on 5 rebound opportunities)
Halley $7,200 Coryat, 12 correct, 4 incorrect, 26.32% in first on buzzer (15/57), 0/1 on rebound attempts (on 3 rebound opportunities)
Coryat lost to incorrect responses (less double-correct responses): $6,200

Halley Ryherd, career statistics:

Dave Bzdak, career statistics:

Hoa Quach, career statistics:

Dave Bzdak, to win:

Today’s interviews:

Hoa used her 6-year-old as a “ringer” at Star Wars trivia.
Dave received a Fulbright teaching fellowship.
Halley enjoys working with first-time home buyers.

• I felt for David a little bit on KENTUCKIAN ENTERTAINERS $1200; I answered “Griffiths” to an OQL UK question about D.W. Griffith two weeks ago and was rightfully judged incorrect.
  • Link to the box score: June 30, 2022 Box Score

Final Jeopardy! wagering suggestions:

(Scores: David $15,000 Hoa $13,900 Halley $7,200)

Halley: If David bets to cover, he falls to $2,199. You’re in a tough spot here, as Hoa could bet small. If you think Hoa is going to bet small, then you may need to go all-in here in order to have any chance of finishing in front of her. (Actual bet: $7,199)

David: Standard cover bet over Hoa is $12,801. (Actual bet: $13,000)

Hoa: Bet at least $501 to cover Halley; I recommend betting no more than $1,698, though, just in case Halley chooses a small bet to win a Double Stumper with David. (Actual bet: $13,000)

33 Comments on "Today’s Final Jeopardy – Thursday, June 30, 2022"

1. Marvin Gregory “Greg” Fuller | June 30, 2022 at 9:42 am |

I guessed New Orleans. This is probably going to be a triple stumper.

• Well, it was easy for me, because I used to live there; but I agree with you: the story of how Portland got its name is probably not well known outside of Oregon.

• Yes, I think unless somebody has a connection to one of the cities, this will be hard to come up with in 30 seconds.

• I got it immediately. Naming a city (presumably soon after founding) some time in the mid-19th century point to the West coast; the fact that there are two cities named Portland in the U. S., Portland, OR being quite large, thus likely larger than Portland, ME, must be well-known. So guessing Portland, OR is a logical choice.

• Seemed easy to me so was surprised at it being a Triple Stumper. Whenever anyone just says ‘Portland’ I think “Which Portland?” Also, I read within the last few months that some movie (a Stephen King one, I think) was set near the wrong Portland (probably Oregon) because somebody important working on it (screenwriter?) just assumed that’s where it was since he himself was from that area — i.e., not changing the setting as a self-serving move, just always thinking of ‘Portland’ as being the Portland he was so familiar with and it not even occurring to him it might be the other one.

• Good points RobertS and Gregory. I live about equally distant from both of them, so I have no connection to either, and couldn’t think of it in time.

2. Michael Johnston | June 30, 2022 at 10:51 am |

I was struggling with trying to remember similarly named cities and discarding them before the date struck a chord with the Oregon Trail and I thought of the pair of Portlands. There’s no way I come up with the correct response in 30 seconds.

Current FJ streak: 3L

3. I got stuck on something with New in the title, then realized that was probably a red herring, went down the top ten US cities list, thought of states admitted around that time (Texas, Florida), came up with bupkus, would’ve probably just scribbled New York Cit (no Y in time) if I was actually playing. And my company has offices in both Portlands!

4. Diganta Das | June 30, 2022 at 11:34 am |

I recall Mattea mis-speaking and missing a “Portland” question while knowing the answer.

5. I must live in Bizarro World since this was easy for me. Seems like the two cities named Portland have been Jeopardy clues/answers in the past so answered this in a heartbeat.

• It was the only guess I had – figured it would be a ‘newish’ west coast city and an ‘oldish’ east coast city with the same name. And being a fan of Portlandia maybe didn’t hurt.

• I thought Portland was a recently on Jeopardy. I first thought of the Oregon Trail and then Portland.

6. David Gong | June 30, 2022 at 1:40 pm |

I don’t understand why Hoa overbet on FJ.

• Robert Fawkes | June 30, 2022 at 2:19 pm |

Agreed. I thought the appropriate bet for Hoa would have been $1101 to get beyond David if he were wrong or risked zero. If he answered correctly, Hoa would have had little chance of beating him anyway so why risk more than necessary. David was lucky in this case because she over-bet by so much.

• Oddly people do it all the time. They spend so much time studying for possible clues but not so much for betting strategies. But who am I to judge – I’ve never been on there.

7. Hoa should have stayed with her original bet but for me after playing the oregon trail I knew it was Portland. I bet Courtney Shah would have gotten it since she is from there.

• I have no idea what you mean by “original bet” here.

• I “bet” he was unfamiliar with the context of your “Bet at least $501 to cover Halley” (or at least, by the time he was writing the comment, had it confused in his memory).

8. 1845 suggested someplace out west, but it took too many seconds of mentally scanning the map for possibilities, before realizing that it was likely not within the “Mexican Cession” (1848) and therefore must be in the Northwest, at which point Portland was obvious. Given how little time would have been left to write it down, I wonder if they would have accepted “Portland” without “OR”.

• Robert Fawkes | June 30, 2022 at 2:22 pm |

You raise an interesting point. I would have answered Portland without even considering to add Oregon. Now, I too am wondering if Portland would have been sufficient. Any ideas, Andy.

• if there are multiple well-known people with the same last name in the relevant category (i.e. US Presidents), they often require the first name. Since there are multiple US Cities named “Portland”, then logically the state should be required. But the judges’ decisions don’t always match with my logic.

• I agree, the question itself mentions that this city was named after another city, so logically, you’d have to be specific about which city you are referring to.

9. did these contestants really think that New York wasn’t named until 1845? Or perhaps it was just a matter of “better to throw out a WAG than write nothing”

10. First consecutive one-day-only champs since April 4.

11. DruidOfTheFang | June 30, 2022 at 10:25 pm |

For some reason, Final Jeopardy has been a little tougher as of late for me as opposed to previous seasons but this one popped into my head almost immediately.

12. Pizza Face Fred | June 30, 2022 at 10:57 pm |

Salem, Oregon, first came to mind (Salem, Massachusetts), then, as time was running out, I remembered Portland, Maine, and switched to Portland,
    Oregon. My girlfriend accuses me of cheating when I do that, but I take them to spite her! Hey, it’s always before any of the contestants reveal their answers. We both lived in Portland in the same area and went to the same bars at one time but don’t remember meeting. Strange, because I really got around in those days, if you know what I mean. I lived there nine and a half years and was well aware of Portland, Maine. If you want to know more about me and my life, feel free to message me by any means necessary . . .

• Neat! I call those “meant to be, but took fate 2 tries”. I had a similar “try”, but mine was more of a “close, but no cigar”. My husband (from 100 miles away who I met as sophomores in college 75 miles away) was friends with the sons of the man whose small business was next door to his own father’s small business — that man frequently brought those sons on Sundays to visit their grandparents . . . who lived next door to me and my parents.

[There were a few other “missed opportunities”, too, mostly pertaining to freshman year and majors and most frequented restaurant. These opportunities were even more loose(?) than the “next door friendships” one, but there being several such misses (then a separate re-connection in a big city with the friend/grandson and his wife years later via our toddlers] add up to give me “the feels”.] Too bad I’ll never be a 20+ time Jeopardy! champion as they reportedly begin having difficulty coming up with personal notes.

• but did you get your 2nd response written out completely (finishing the last letter), and in the form of a question, as well as getting your first guess crossed out before the music stopped playing?

13. Kansas City came to mind immediately. population fits but that’s it

14. I didn’t think this was an easy final. My only guess was Kansas City. There are a lot of duplicate cities. I am not crazy about the question. You have to be an Oregonian, I think, to know this one.

• “You have to be an Oregonian, I think, to know this one.”
      nonsense. I’ve never been to Oregon (or anywhere further West than Colorado), nor to Maine (or further East than Ohio), but I correctly guessed this one

• Really? Just looking above you see several good guesses that are wrong. Even Kansas City is close in some of the particulars. Salem, Oregon is very close in date and proportion. I would wager that actually knowing the story of Portland along with the date puts you in a select group mainly composed of people from Oregon.

15. The “for which it was named” phrasing threw me off. It had be thinking it would be a city with a Spanish name that was named for an English equivalent. I might have gotten it if the clue explicitly said the cities shared the same name.