Today’s Final Jeopardy – Friday, July 22, 2022

Here’s today’s Final Jeopardy (in the category Inaugural Balls) for Friday, July 22, 2022 (Season 38, Game 225):

At the 1993 Tennessee inaugural ball, Paul Simon performed this song, his most recent Top 40 hit

Gunan Ganju, a radiation oncologist from Atlanta, Georgia
Gunan Ganju on Jeopardy!
Karla Fossett, a content administrator from Saco, Maine
Karla Fossett on Jeopardy!
Emmie Trammell, an operations specialist from Jacksonville, Florida (1-day total: $21,200)
Emmie Trammell on Jeopardy!

Andy’s Pregame Thoughts:

Emmie Trammell picked up a victory over a very strong champion in Matt Mierswa thanks to very strong play at the bottom of the board. Now that she’s got a game’s practice on the signalling device, it would not surprise me if she outperformed her prediction from the prediction model. (I felt the same way after Matt Amodio was very strong last year on $2000 clues at the start of his run.) As always, though, if you don’t have a runaway going into Final, that last question always has the ability to trip you up.

On a more personal note: For the past two and a half years, I have often raised money for the MS Society of Canada through their “Gamers vs. MS” program. This July, Gamers vs. MS is running a month-long fundraising campaign called “Boss Battles.” In an attempt to raise $25,000, the Gamers vs. MS team has designed a “fundraising adventure” to defeat eight evil bosses. (Much like a Mario game might have eight bosses to defeat.) You can get more information about the program at https://www.gamersvsms.ca/bossbattles, and if you’d like to donate, you can do so via Tiltify!.

PSA: The best way to keep COVID-19 at bay (and keep Jeopardy! producing new episodes) is for everybody to get their vaccinations as soon as they can, including any boosters as recommended. When wearing a mask, please ensure that your mask covers both your nose and your mouth.

Correct response: What is “You Can Call Me Al”?

You can find game-by-game stats here at The Jeopardy! Fan of all 14 players, including Matt Amodio, Jonathan Fisher, Amy Schneider, Mattea Roach, and Ryan Long, that have won 10 or more games on Jeopardy!?

More Information About Final Jeopardy:

(The following write-up is original content and is copyright 2022 The Jeopardy! Fan. It may not be copied without linked attribution back to this page.)

Paul Simon playing “You Can Call Me Al” at the Tennessee inaugural ball in 1993 is incredibly fitting, as Al Gore represented that state and was first inaugurated as Vice-President in 1993. The song was Simon’s biggest hit single from his 1986 album, Graceland (ironically enough, a major Tennessee landmark very much associated with the state).

Something to keep an eye out for today: I wonder how many viewers (or even players, potentially) are going to trip up accidentally and give the album title instead.

Game Recap:

Jeopardy! Round:

(Categories: A Month Of History; British Folklore & Legends; Words With Double Letters; Expensive Foods; At Cross Purposes; The TV Title Character Speaks)

Karla had the best time of things in the Jeopardy! round, picking up 10 correct responses in the round, including the Daily Double as well. Emmie struggled as well on the signalling device, picking up only 6—none at the bottom of the board.

Statistics at the first break (15 clues):

Karla 5 correct 0 incorrect
Gunan 6 correct 0 incorrect
Emmie 2 correct 0 incorrect

Statistics after the Jeopardy round:

Karla 10 correct 1 incorrect
Emmie 6 correct 0 incorrect
Gunan 8 correct 2 incorrect

Double Jeopardy! Round:

(Categories: Books Of The Civil War Era; Spelling Their EGOTs; Metallic Expressions; The Life Of Pablo; Colleges & Universities; Places From A To A)

Karla’s strong game continued, picking up another 9 correct! Gunan had a chance to pull himself back into the game, but dropped $4,000 on the last Daily Double. From there, it was a runaway for Karla! Scores going into Final were Karla at $17,600, Gunan at $7,600, and Emmie at $5,800.

Statistics after Double Jeopardy:

Karla 19 correct 1 incorrect
Gunan 18 correct 4 incorrect
Emmie 10 correct 0 incorrect
Total number of unplayed clues this season: 83 (0 today).

Final was a Triple Stumper; Karla made a nominal $1,000 bet and is now Jeopardy! champion! She’ll return Monday to start the final week of the season next week!

Tonight’s Game Stats:

Looking to find out who won Jeopardy! today? Here’s the Friday, July 22, 2022 Jeopardy! by the numbers:

Karla $17,600
Gunan $7,600
Emmie $5,800

Emmie $5,800 – $4,000 = $1,800 (What is ?)
Gunan $7,600 – $4,001 = $3,599 (What is Walking in Memphis)
Karla $17,600 – $1,000 = $16,600 (What is Me and Julio Down by the School yard) (1-day total: $16,600)

Karla Fossett, today's Jeopardy! winner (for the July 22, 2022 game.)

Karla $6,400
Emmie $2,600
Gunan $2,000

1) BRITISH FOLKLORE & LEGENDS $800 (clue #14)
Karla 3200 +1000 (Emmie 800 Gunan 2200)
2) COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES $1600 (clue #20)
Karla 14400 +2000 (Emmie 5400 Gunan 5200)
3) BOOKS OF THE CIVIL WAR ERA $800 (clue #23, $9600 left on board)
Gunan 5600 -4000 (Emmie 5400 Karla 16400)
Overall Daily Double Efficiency for this game: -26

Number of clues left unrevealed this season: 83 (0.37 per episode average), 0 Daily Doubles

Karla $17,000 Coryat, 19 correct, 1 incorrect, 28.07% in first on buzzer (16/57), 1/2 on rebound attempts (on 3 rebound opportunities)
Gunan $11,600 Coryat, 18 correct, 4 incorrect, 36.84% in first on buzzer (21/57), 0/0 on rebound attempts (on 0 rebound opportunities)
Emmie $5,800 Coryat, 10 correct, 0 incorrect, 17.54% in first on buzzer (10/57), 0/0 on rebound attempts (on 3 rebound opportunities)
Coryat lost to incorrect responses (less double-correct responses): $4,800

Emmie Trammell, career statistics:

Karla Fossett, career statistics:

Gunan Ganju, career statistics:

0/1 on Daily Doubles (Net Earned: -$4,000)

Karla Fossett, to win:

Today’s interviews:

Gunan once saved someone’s life at a basketball game.
Karla tried out for Jeopardy! immediately after visiting Gettysburg.
Emmie was a coxswain.

Final Jeopardy! wagering suggestions:

(Scores: Karla $17,600 Gunan $7,600 Emmie $5,800)

Emmie: If Gunan covers you and is incorrect, he falls to $3,599. Thus, I would suggest limiting your bet to $2,199. (Actual bet: $4,000)

Karla: Bet between $0 and $2,399 and enjoy your victory! (Actual bet: $1,000)

Gunan: Standard cover bet over Emmie is $4,001. (Actual bet: $4,001)

22 Comments on "Today’s Final Jeopardy – Friday, July 22, 2022"

1. Michael Johnston | July 22, 2022 at 9:23 am |

I dithered a bit on this one, figuring it had to be something from Graceland, but not remembering which one. I pulled the trigger and guessed You Can Call Me Al just because it stuck in my memory more than the other tunes from the album.

Current FJ streak: 1W

2. Diganta Das | July 22, 2022 at 9:30 am |

This was not hard because, in my memories of that day, it was my first experience of a US presidential election. I was not a citizen but did participate in some electioneering with the college Dems and had tickets to some relatively close areas for the inauguration and then at a young people ball.

Of course, I did not have a ticket to (or even knew the existence of) the Tennessee Ball, but I devoured CSpan in the next few days and saw Paul Simon sing it. The Al Gore/Tennessee connection can also be an excellent way to get there.

3. The location and occasion lead pretty easily to Al Gore. Then it all depends on what you know about Paul Simon’s hit songs. I question the category title. The correct response is not an inaugural ball. It’s a song performed at one. The song was not even written for the occasion. A better category title would be Paul Simon Songs, because that’s what you have to name.

• I question the title of the category but not that the clue was not a ball. It is that it did not say ‘Presidential Inaugural Balls’. Most states have inaugural balls when their governors are inaugurated, so having the clue be about ‘Tennessee’ implies one of those. As it happens, 1993 was a presidential inauguration year and not a Tennessee gubernatorial inauguration year, but are Jeopardy contestants expected to know the election cycles of all 50 states “just in case”? [I may just be showing my ignorance and deliberately, or even by law, perhaps no state ever holds a gubernatorial election the same time as a presidential election, but I looked that up and couldn’t find anything about it. However, I did find that the Tennessee Inaugural Ball held in Washington in 1993 was NOT one of the OFFICIAL 10 or 11 inaugural balls that year.]

4. I bought a Simon and Garfunkel record album in 1967. That’s about it for knowing their music.

5. I just said Graceland. Doh!

• and for what it’s worth, I wasn’t thinking the album title – I was thinking the song Graceland on that album.

• great minds think alike – 🙁 – I didn’t think on it long enough or would have likely come up with “You Can Call Me Al”

6. Michael Johnston | July 22, 2022 at 11:56 am |

Oh! haha… That didn’t even occur to me that Tennessee meant “Call Me Al (Gore)”🙄
    That should have made it easier🤪

7. For me this was not hard. Al Gore from Tennessee was what lead to you can call me Al. I think the simon and garfunkle album had this song.

• “Call Me Al” was from Paul Simon’s 1986 album, “Graceland.” The last Simon & Garfunkel album was “Bridge Over Troubled Waters,” released in 1970. The last collaboration they released was “My LIttle Town in 1975, which they each released on their own individual albums.

• My comment should have mentioned that it was about new material. They did do a live album/documentary for their reunion concert tour of 2003 (the Everly Brothers, one of their big influences, appeared as guests).

8. I wonder if they would have accepted “Call Me Al” (which was my guess while watching the show), even though it isn’t the full official title of the song. Seems to be a popular shorthand version of the title that people use.
    Also, I would argue that it isn’t “ironic” that the song comes from the album Graceland, but instead coincidental. Not really any irony there, just something else that happens to tie in with Tennessee as well.

9. Jay Clark | July 22, 2022 at 8:12 pm |

The final clue said the latest Paul Simon top 40.In 1993 his latest hit would have been The Obvious Child from the album Rhythm of the Saints. The song You can call me Al was on Graceland released in 1986.
    Not that it matters much, since no one had a correct answer, but the question was flawed.

• Jay:

The question was not flawed. It clearly said “top 40”. The Obvious Child peaked at #92 on the Billboard Hot 100—the chart that defines “top 40” in the United States.

• Right. The clue’s mention of “top 40” was OBVIOUS, child! Not that it helped me since I’m certain that I had never heard of “You Can Call Me Al” and I really don’t think that I had heard of the song “The Obvious Child” (though I had heard of the unrelated “Obvious Child” movie, so it would be easy to get them mixed up in memory). [Well, I just went and played both on YouTube, so now I am certain I’ve never heard either before.]

10. Now all I can think of is the video with Chevy Chase 😀

11. Robert Fawkes | July 22, 2022 at 8:52 pm |

For me, the connection was Tennessee, Al Gore’s home state (although he was born in Washington, D.C.), which immediately led to “You Can Call Me Al.” It didn’t hurt that I became a Simon & Garfunkel fan in the 1960’s in high school and college.

As for tonight’s game overall, don’t doubt the “prediction model.” I had no expectation of Emmie getting a second win tonight. Even though she won last night, she was not the best player in that game. Looking at the stats from Thursday’s game, Emmie was third in correct responses and third as first in on the buzzer. Matt had 28 correct responses versus Emmie’s 13 correct responses, more than twice as many. Similarly, Matt was over 42% as first in on buzzer versus Emmie’s 24.56%. Neither of these boded well for Emmie tonight. In fact, they were good predictors of how she performed tonight. For the second game in a row, Emmie was third in correct responses and third as first in on buzzer. In a sense, her win on Thursday was a bit of a fluke in that FJ was right up her alley despite not having played the best game. By the stats, Matt should have been the winner and might well have been with a different FJ. Kudos to Emmie for becoming a Jeopardy Champion but based on the stats, I did not expect a second win tonight.

• Agreed. Actually, I was just thinking last week (though admittedly perhaps with a poor memory) that it seems like a long time since there was an episode in which a Final happened to fit one of the contestants perfectly. Then this week it happened twice!

12. Enos Williams | July 22, 2022 at 10:37 pm |

I seem to recall a similar final being used on Rock & Roll J! years ago. I fell for the “Graceland” trap too (though I was thinking of the song). Also, I have seen Paul Simon in Tennessee (though not at an inaugural ball).

13. Did Simon change the lyric to “I can call you Tipper”?